Gratuities at bar etc?

suvicki

Is a tip, 15%, added to bar bills etc when you are on board a P&O ship?

I read it is done on some other lines but was wondering about P&O.

I dont mind the idea of tipping but dont want to be doing it twice every time.

Thanks.

Last time I was on P&O (about 6/7 years ago) tips were not added to the bar bill.

We were on Carnival Splendor recently and a gratuity was automatically added. This anoyed me a little as the bar service was terrible. It was the first cruise and the staff were under pressure so I did feel for them but I surely the whole point of tipping is to reward good service? to differenciate between the staff who put in that extra effort? they might as well just put the drinks prices up and pay their staff more?

Chris

On P & O the price you see on the wine or drinks list is the price you pay. Unlike Princess and many other American ships there is no extra percentage added to the bill. I belive the bar staff and wine waiters work on a commission basis but whatever the percentage is, it is already included in the price so there is no need to tip.

On P & O the price you see on the wine or drinks list is the price you pay. Unlike Princess and many other American ships there is no extra percentage added to the bill. I belive the bar staff and wine waiters work on a commission basis but whatever the percentage is, it is already included in the price so there is no need to tip.

But is a tip expected. We all know that certain look from a server when an expected tip is not forthcoming.

David.

Because the bar staff and wine waiters receive a percentage of sales as commission they are not hanging around looking for a tip when they bring you your drinks.

This may explain why they are so happy to check whether you would like a drink when in 'their' venue - but are not offended if a polite no thank you is the reply.

Many people do tip their restaurant wine waiter at the end of the cruise but, if you read the guidance from P&O, they are not one of the people they suggest a tip amount for (cabin stewards and table waiters/assistants) and so it is totally at your discression.

Feebee_71 :)

We always include the restaurant wine waiter in our end of cruise tips as my husband does not drink wine with dinner, only different beers which have to be fetched from the various bars around the ship so we feel he has to work extra hard for us!

Carol x

But is a tip expected. We all know that certain look from a server when an expected tip is not forthcoming.

David.

Tips are not expected on a P&O ship.

Anyway who carries money around with you the ship is cashless.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Anyway who carries money around with you the ship is cashless.

Dai

Well of course, no one does, but is there a little line on the bar chit that you sign marked "additional gratuity"

Could I just clarify this please? I've only sailed on American (spit) boats up until now, wherein one tips everytime a bloke says "have a nice day", which is approximately every 14 nanoseconds. Lovely, I'm sure we all agree.

So, with freedom dining, one tips a bit automatically, and the done thing is to slip the cabin steward something warming at the end in a lickle envelope (aaah). Understood.

Apart from that, oh seasoned P&O types, what's the done thing tipping-wise? Drinks? Room Service? Heart massage? - the usual stuff.

Thank you.

Could I just clarify this please? I've only sailed on American (spit) boats up until now, wherein one tips everytime a bloke says "have a nice day", which is approximately every 14 nanoseconds. Lovely, I'm sure we all agree.

So, with freedom dining, one tips a bit automatically, and the done thing is to slip the cabin steward something warming at the end in a lickle envelope (aaah). Understood.

Apart from that, oh seasoned P&O types, what's the done thing tipping-wise? Drinks? Room Service? Heart massage? - the usual stuff.

Thank you.

At the end of your cruise you will find some envelopes in you cabin. There will be a green card/booklet giving you advice on who to tip. If you are freedom then this comes off or rather on to your bill for your waiters. You only then have to tip your cabin steward. Recommended about £45 per couple per 14 night cruise.

As for the rest if you have used a bar or coffee bar or eatery on a regular basis then you can tip them and that is it. We tip the bar staff in the bar we used on a daily basis. We also give something to our wine waiter as we use him every night.

P&O ship[s are not like our American cousins.

Dai

No need to tip bar staff - its all included. You can tip wine waiters if you wish (strictly speaking that's included too) and of course the restaurant waiters which is expected. Room service you can also tip but its not mandatory. Very different to our American cousins!!

Ta folks. Not sure I'd want to use the waiter every night - Her Indoors is particular about that sort of thing.

Doesthis meanthat the P&O cruiser does not tip a bar waiter on delivery of routinetray of brain mush, room service on delivery of cannape pies (is there a word harder to spell than that?), dancing girls on delivery of - er - dancing?

We've booked the Ventura thingy, apparently our entire holiday will be one continuous bar fight, with grannies tearing each other's hair out over possession of sun beds.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

We were on Ventura last October, did not see any grannies fighting. Cannot answer your query re tipping for room service, as we did not avail ourselfs of this facility.

We had Freedom dining for which tips are automatically added to your on board account of £1.50 per person per day, although if you wish you can visit reception and have this charged removed, reduced or increased. We had the same table for 2 for most of the cruise and therefore the same two waiters. At the end of the cruise, we chose to give them a little extra in tips, which we gave to them personally in a envelope.

The only two other people we tipped were the Cabin Steward and the Wine waiter, amounts were in accordance with what is recommended by P&O, details of which you will find in your cabin, together with the envelopes, for placing your money in to give out at end of cruise.

No other tips or 15% added to your drinks bills etc.;)

Happy Sailing

Beckyfaye:cool:

that sound similar to how we did things...

envelopes for the cabin steward....wine waiter...and the two dinner waiters!

we ordered breakfast into the room everyday via the interactive screen and tipped the 'runner' everytime he brought the tray in.......

i always reward good service, but i have one golden rule when i'm 'divi'ing' up...

if i sit there and think that the amount i put in the envelope seems paltry (and i don't think £20 absolute minimum is by the way!), then i remember what i see when the crew have 'days-off'... you will always see them in $100 sunglasses with $100 trainers and all the best digi / video camera's!!

they work hard, no doubt there, they're probably not paid that much to start with either..... but if they can afford those types of luxuries aswell as sending their hard earned back home to india etc, then what you put in the envelope is a worthy reward!!!!

none of the above is meant to sound mean!!!... the point that i'm trying to make is they do ok, and they enjoy their jobs, and more important they do ok by US passengers for the excellent work they do... there will never be a perfect way to tip... for christ sakes we're british!!!! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
At the end of your cruise you will find some envelopes in you cabin. There will be a green card/booklet giving you advice on who to tip. If you are freedom then this comes off or rather on to your bill for your waiters. You only then have to tip your cabin steward. Recommended about £45 per couple per 14 night cruise.

As for the rest if you have used a bar or coffee bar or eatery on a regular basis then you can tip them and that is it. We tip the bar staff in the bar we used on a daily basis. We also give something to our wine waiter as we use him every night.

P&O ship[s are not like our American cousins.

Dai

Dai,

I've just got back from Oriana on a 10 nighter, and am beginning to feel a bit tight! Even for a Welshman I'm known to be reasonably generous, or so I thought?

Cabin Steward 10 nights £40 tip

Restaurant Waiters 10 nights £40 tip

Wine waiter 10 nights premium package thought he was covered on purchases so £0 tip

also

Bar Staff 10 nights thought they were covered on purchases so £0 tip.

Am I bringing my nations name into disrepute? Will I ever be allowed to sail again?

Carl

Dai,

I've just got back from Oriana on a 10 nighter, and am beginning to feel a bit tight!

Am I bringing my nations name into disrepute? Will I ever be allowed to sail again?

Carl

Oh no, you're not the only one of us.

Like you the only waymy wallet only gets open while I'm under strong anaethetic. :D

We're going with Royal Cribbean this next cruise and you should see the fun on the RCCI boards on here about tipping, dress code etc.

Going back to a British cruise line for our next one

Berwyn

Archived