Le Havre Battle Site Excursions

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

I'd appreciate all help my fellow Princess cruise lovers can give me with finding a tour guide or company for our one day in Le Havre on Sunday, May 10. We'd prefer to do this on our own with fellow passengers joining us (maximum six of us). I'm sure I'll hear about some we've already tried, but I will be MOST GRATEFUL:D to hear from people who have names and contact info. Thanks so much!! Denise

Thanks Paul - and I guess renting a car may be an option. However, the sites are many and the time is short. We could wing the narrative portion of it with guide books, but one wrong turn getting lost and much time could be lost - even if I do speak passable French.

Do you have a GPS? You can get European maps for it for a fairly reasonable price. That's what I'm doing in the UK. No worries about wrong turns that way, and even if you do, the GPS will get you right back on track.

I tried looking into private Normandy tours from Le Havre a couple of years ago. There are very few tour operators who do excursions for cruise passengers. Our options were so limited that we went with a ship's tour which was quite good.

The landing beaches are about 1-1/2 to 2 hours' driving time from the cruise port, IIRC.

Thanks Rob - somewhat discouraging. DH is to the point he's ready to sign on with the ship's cruise but I'll hold out a bit longer.......

The ship's tour was really pretty good. We went to Pont du Hoc, Omaha Beach, the US Cemetery, had lunch at country inn, and made our final stop at Arromanche. Our guide was pretty good, but eventually was worn down to the point of frustration by two ladies who complained about EVERYTHING...until I shut them up, that is. :D

Thank you - this is one of the tours we are looking at but it is by far the most expensive at 650 euros for up to 4 people............many good things said about it.

Anyone else got a favorite tour service in that area?

Maybe- but we could not fault anything

Another recommendation for John Flaherty at http://www.handmaidtours.com. This is undoubtedly the best excursion we have ever been on. In addition to the ship's tour sites we also went to Pegasus Bridge, Port en Bessin, and the British cemetery. John also gave us a booklet with additional information on all the places we saw.

Thanks Bubba - I'm actually keeper of the Roll Call for our cruise - incidentaly we call ourselves the CATS - Crossing the Atlantic To Scandinavia:cool:

Thanks Katisdale - John at handmaid tours is the one Miss Jolly and I were posting about. They're apparently great, but expensive if you're starting with USD of course.

No one has any feedback on Manstouch Tours?

I'd appreciate all help my fellow Princess cruise lovers can give me with finding a tour guide or company for our one day in Le Havre on Sunday, May 10. We'd prefer to do this on our own with fellow passengers joining us (maximum six of us). I'm sure I'll hear about some we've already tried, but I will be MOST GRATEFUL:D to hear from people who have names and contact info. Thanks so much!! Denise

If you like drop me a note about the Tour guide we used for Normandy in Sept 08

whyme71842@aol.com

Hi Gail, perhaps other people viewing here might be able to help you with Le Havre taxis. don't know what your ship will be charging for the day's tour, but ours charges $199 USD pp. 480 euros for four people is pretty cheap - but your driver may not speak English or know anything about the sites you want to visit. That's not a huge problem as it's very easy to "bone up" on your history beforehand. We're delighted to be going with Hand Maid tours - they are actually slightly cheaper than the Princess excursion price if we are a party of six, and only slightly more expensive if we stick with a party of four.

Also our Le Havre visit will fall on Mothers' Day this year and I am going to look forward to honoring both my father, a disabled WWII veteran, and my Mom. They're both gone now but I look forward to spending some special time with them that day.

Denise

Hi Gail, perhaps other people viewing here might be able to help you with Le Havre taxis. don't know what your ship will be charging for the day's tour, but ours charges $199 USD pp. 480 euros for four people is pretty cheap - but your driver may not speak English or know anything about the sites you want to visit. That's not a huge problem as it's very easy to "bone up" on your history beforehand. We're delighted to be going with Hand Maid tours - they are actually slightly cheaper than the Princess excursion price if we are a party of six, and only slightly more expensive if we stick with a party of four.

Also our Le Havre visit will fall on Mothers' Day this year and I am going to look forward to honoring both my father, a disabled WWII veteran, and my Mom. They're both gone now but I look forward to spending some special time with them that day.

Denise

I am so pleased that you are going with John. I am sure you will be very pleased with your day. He will personalise the tour to suit your own interests. He is a fascinating fellow.

Archived