small boat whale watching - not harv and marv or orca?

jw01

Looking for small boat whale watching. Harv and Marv are closed (sept 17) and Orca seems to have bigger boats. Any other suggestions? or should we settle for the bigger boat?

We went with Rum Runner Charters and had such a good trip I am still posting about it. Capt. Chris is a nice guy and a wildlife biologist (not that it will make you see more whales than the next guy) but the 4 hour trip was a really good deal and the boat is very comfortable. The Eagle show at the end was the difference for our group so ask him about that if you want to see Bald Eagles up close.

"Check with Alaska Whale Watching Company. www.akwhalewatching.com

We booked them for early June (had a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon). I believe their boats seat 16 tops."

Hello this is Captain Louis with Alaska Whale Watching. Our boat "Kaytos" has a maximum seating of 12 passengers. However typically we take between 4 and 8 people with lots of room to spare.

Hi Captain Louis :)

My DH and I are scheduled for your 2.5 hour tour on 6/3. We're really looking forward to it :D

We are trying to plan a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and would like to do whale watching. Princess offers a combination with 1 hour at the glacier and a 3 hour catamaran cruise which they "guarantee" seeing whales or they refund $100!

Is 1 hour enough to see the Glacier? We are not hikers, but are very mobile and want to see as much as we can and as close as possible. Is it possible to do this on this type of tour?

And what is the advantage of using a private tour operator as opposed to the cruise line's tour? Any? None?

Any help is appreciated!! We are first timers.

We are trying to plan a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and would like to do whale watching. Princess offers a combination with 1 hour at the glacier and a 3 hour catamaran cruise which they "guarantee" seeing whales or they refund $100!

Is 1 hour enough to see the Glacier? We are not hikers, but are very mobile and want to see as much as we can and as close as possible. Is it possible to do this on this type of tour?

And what is the advantage of using a private tour operator as opposed to the cruise line's tour? Any? None?

Your "guarantee" means nothing. :) Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the tours. 1 hour is plenty of time, if you are just looking for a look?? Not sure of your price range, but you can easily visit Mendenhall as well with most any independent- arranged ahead for a pick up/drop off. You would then take the $7 shuttle in the other direction to/from the dock.

We booked Captain Larry with Orca Enterprises. We did a whale watching tour with him the last time we were in Alaska and it was great. He has a larger boat now and I think it will be a lot better . Lots of glass with windows that slide so I can take photos (I am a shutter bug). He will drop us off at the Mendenhall Glacier for an hour or so after the whale watching and then pick us up and take us back to the ship. I am looking forward to taking this tour again. I thought their other boat was too small and old, I know I will like this one more; it even has an observation deck on top.

We like to use private tours. It is more personal, less people are on the tour and we can usually ask the driver to stop if we want to take photos. It saves us money too - the prices are usually better than the ship tours.

Good luck with your planning.

Marion

• 1 month later...

Just heard back that Orca has openings the date we are there in July. How many people on their boats? Did you ask for the drop-off at the glacier or is it included? Did this cost extra? Thanks.

Just heard back that Orca has openings the date we are there in July. How many people on their boats? Did you ask for the drop-off at the glacier or is it included? Did this cost extra? Thanks.

You need to know WHAT boat they are booking you on, there are 3, each with different passenger numbers. You also HAVE to reserve in advance any Mendenhall drop off/pick up, there is a small charge. You then use a shuttle bus for the other transit to/from the dock.

we went with orca, in late sept of '06, we had 12 people on a boat that could seat 30...we had sooo much room to move around. even if the boat is full..they have a BIG inside area with large windows and comfortable seating. outside you have a large open aft area for viewing and a another viewing area on top of the cabin.

you need to call orca for the recent information on drop-offs to mendenhall. it is an extra cost.

They charge an additional $18pp. They are dropping us off at Mendenhall after our whale watch and picking us back up later and dropping us at the ship or in town. It was about $2.00 more per person more than taking the shuttle.

Marion

Although H&M is officially "closed", doing a search on this board will inform you that Eileen does respond to booking inquiries in 3-4 working days. Having said that, some are finding the date they need is already sold out. They are adding a third boat for next summer so your chances are improved.

Nothing wrong with Orca either, both companies get great reviews and I have not seen a serious complaint with either.

Although H&M is officially "closed", doing a search on this board will inform you that Eileen does respond to booking inquiries in 3-4 working days. Having said that, some are finding the date they need is already sold out. They are adding a third boat for next summer so your chances are improved.

Nothing wrong with Orca either, both companies get great reviews and I have not seen a serious complaint with either.

She emailed me with the choice of either 12:30 or 3:30 tours for 3 hrs. Which would be best for viewing whales? I thought that morning would be best.

Thanks for the input.

She emailed me with the choice of either 12:30 or 3:30 tours for 3 hrs. Which would be best for viewing whales? I thought that morning would be best.

Thanks for the input.

No, morning is not "best". It makes NO difference what time you book. I suggest you book where it fits your port time best and if wanting to do other touring.

• 2 months later...
"Check with Alaska Whale Watching Company. www.akwhalewatching.com

We booked them for early June (had a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon). I believe their boats seat 16 tops."

Hello this is Captain Louis with Alaska Whale Watching. Our boat "Kaytos" has a maximum seating of 12 passengers. However typically we take between 4 and 8 people with lots of room to spare.

Louis-

We did a tour with you in May and had a wonderful time. I've been telling everybody here at Cruise Critic what a great time we had. I have attached a few pictures from our cruise including one of you.

Mike

IMG_0490.jpg.9c9c62d601167c4c1ab724cd6fb69f30.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg.bd03004f0ae1f3bd0e0d3964aea193bf.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg.c573fa7bf01d0cff4bac77fa98b68b5a.jpg

Archived