Killing Time at JFK

bqkali

Perhaps someone with a lot more airport experience than me can help me out with some JFK details :) I've flown through JFK several times, but almost exclusively on Jetblue and never internationally so the rest of the airport is a mystery to me.

I am flying to Barcelona through JFK. In order to get the best price, our domestic leg is on Delta (booked separately) and our international leg is on American. We didn't want to cut our connection too close which only left one flight time choice so we will be waiting at JFK from 1:15pm-6:45pm. From what I can gather based on terminal maps, I think we're arriving in Terminal 3 and departing in Terminal 8. We are not checking luggage since we are limited on the amount of luggage we can check for discount flights within Europe that we will be using later in the trip. Therefore, we will just have to trek over to Terminal 8 at some point to check in/go through security and get to the gate for our next flight. Coming home, we have less time to kill and also customs to go through, so I don't think we will be twiddling our thumbs, so to speak.

We have no intention of heading to Manhattan, so we would like some suggestions on how to kill 5.5 hours at JFK without having to purchase a lounge pass for the day. Can anyone recommend a good place for a mid-afternoon meal to hold us over until our "delicious" airplane dinner?? We'd prefer somewhere we can sit down and take our time. Any other shops or something we should check out? Is it better to stay in T3 and only head over to T8 when necessary or should we go to T8 right away? (Or head to a different terminal entirely) Is there wifi available in the entire airport or is that a Jetblue perk only?

I apologize in advance if our flight is so delayed into JFK that I don't need any of your suggestions :rolleyes: Regardless, thanks for your suggestions!!

That 5.5 hour layover probably won't be as long as you think, by the time you get off your first flight, transfer from T3 to T8, and check-in and go through security. That'll probably eat up a good hour to 90 minutes.

This might be of some help to you - it lists what shops/eateries are in each terminal. I've only been through Terminal 7 in JFK, which had the usual: McDonalds, Subway, and a Starbucks, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ken_retail.html

Is there wifi available in the entire airport or is that a Jetblue perk only?

Wifi is available throughout JFK however if memory serves, it is only free in the JetBlue terminal. The rest of the terminal I believe uses T-Mobile which you can get a subscription for if you travel often enough. I don't remember how much it is, but it was worth it for a layover more than an hour or so.

Wifi is available throughout JFK however if memory serves, it is only free in the JetBlue terminal. The rest of the terminal I believe uses T-Mobile which you can get a subscription for if you travel often enough. I don't remember how much it is, but it was worth it for a layover more than an hour or so.

Thanks for clarifying this. I am spoiled with Jetblue :)

If you are flying internationally you will have use of the VIP lounge that american airlines has. Check that out. The one Delta has at JFK was awesome. Free food and drinks and very comfortable.

Nothing in the OP's post indicated that they were flying in either a premium cabin or with elite FF status. Without that, I'm not sure how they would have access to the "VIP lounge". As for DL, their lounges are adequate, though far better than the DL gate areas at JFK. For an "Awesome" lounge, I'd think more of the Malaysian lounge at KUL, SQ's lounge at SIN and CX's Wing at HKG. Sleeping rooms, saunas & Jacuzzis, sit-down dinners, 30 yr old Scotch; that's more in the awesome category.

If you are flying internationally you will have use of the VIP lounge that american airlines has. Check that out. The one Delta has at JFK was awesome. Free food and drinks and very comfortable.

Jan

I believe access to the AA Flagship lounge (is this what you mean by VIP lounge?) is restricted to first class international passengers only and some domestic first class passengers as well. It may also be a perk for the highest tier FF as well - something unstated above EXP.

Even though the OP said they didn't want to buy a day pass for the normal Admirals club, I would say it is still worth it even though very limited food (e.g., crackers) or drink (e.g., water, coffee) is free. Long layovers in the general terminal are no fun and not all that comfortable.

Nothing in the OP's post indicated that they were flying in either a premium cabin or with elite FF status. Without that, I'm not sure how they would have access to the "VIP lounge". As for DL, their lounges are adequate, though far better than the DL gate areas at JFK. For an "Awesome" lounge, I'd think more of the Malaysian lounge at KUL, SQ's lounge at SIN and CX's Wing at HKG. Sleeping rooms, saunas & Jacuzzis, sit-down dinners, 30 yr old Scotch; that's more in the awesome category.

No, we are flying the cheap seats. It's far from ideal, but money talks. Unfortunately, we won't be anywhere in SE Asia either so we won't be able to take advantage of those perks either!

I too have had layovers at JFK flying with JetBlue as you, and I must say, I now hope for a roughly 3 hour layover! I love it! One of my favorite things to do - go downstairs and sit at one of the benches by the passenger loading area and people watch. Hilarious I tell you!

And as you know, the JetBlue terminal is just absolutely awesome. I don't know about the other ones, but I'm thinking like a previous poster said, cut that 5.5 down to 4 due to boarding, security, etc., cut that 4 down to 2.5 for a restaurant visit, cut that 2.5 down to 2 for some walking around and you've got a great 2 hours to go sit outside and enjoy the weather and entertainment! I'm telling you - try it. You will not be dissapointed. :p

And as you know, the JetBlue terminal is just absolutely awesome. I don't know about the other ones, but I'm thinking like a previous poster said, cut that 5.5 down to 4 due to boarding, security, etc., cut that 4 down to 2.5 for a restaurant visit, cut that 2.5 down to 2 for some walking around and you've got a great 2 hours to go sit outside and enjoy the weather and entertainment! I'm telling you - try it. You will not be dissapointed. :p

Do you (or anyone) know if I am allowed to access the Jetblue terminal if I am not flying into/out of that terminal? I would imagine I would since I have never had security stop me to check a boarding pass when changing terminals at any other airport, but would like to double check. It might be worth the time spent getting there if only for the free wifi :)

Semantic time:

There is a difference between "terminal" and "concourse". In general, you are changing concourses at most airports, or you may have terminals that are interconnected airside in the secure zone (such as at ORD and some at LAX).

JFK has distinct and separate terminal buildings that are NOT connected in the secure zone (other than T2 and T3, which is a DL complex). The JetBllue terminal is separate and distinct. Also, you have the issues of groundside (per-security) and airside (post-security) - not sure just what the wifi coverage may be. Regardless, you won't get through to the airside at the JetBlue terminal unless you have a JetBlue boarding pass (obtained by checking-in for a JetBlue flight).

Now, you could always purchase a refundable JetBlue ticket, check-in for the flight, go into the terminal, then cancel your ticket before your phantom flight. Just a matter of how you judge the effect on your credit lines and cash flow.

Semantic time:

There is a difference between "terminal" and "concourse". In general, you are changing concourses at most airports, or you may have terminals that are interconnected airside in the secure zone (such as at ORD and some at LAX).

JFK has distinct and separate terminal buildings that are NOT connected in the secure zone (other than T2 and T3, which is a DL complex). The JetBllue terminal is separate and distinct. Also, you have the issues of groundside (per-security) and airside (post-security) - not sure just what the wifi coverage may be. Regardless, you won't get through to the airside at the JetBlue terminal unless you have a JetBlue boarding pass (obtained by checking-in for a JetBlue flight).

Now, you could always purchase a refundable JetBlue ticket, check-in for the flight, go into the terminal, then cancel your ticket before your phantom flight. Just a matter of how you judge the effect on your credit lines and cash flow.

Thank you for such a clear explanation. We will stick to staying where we need to be instead of messing with refundable tickets.

Do you (or anyone) know if I am allowed to access the Jetblue terminal if I am not flying into/out of that terminal? I would imagine I would since I have never had security stop me to check a boarding pass when changing terminals at any other airport, but would like to double check. It might be worth the time spent getting there if only for the free wifi :)

I don't know whether or not the WiFi signal reaches out past the secure ticketed passengers area. If it does I don't see why you would not have access to the service.

Slightly OT- Does anyone know if they've opened the old TWA terminal into a museum as originally proposed? From what I understand it is annexed to the new T5 Jet Blue terminal but my information is sketchy about what is supposed to happen. We didn't have time to look into this in December because our connection wasn't long enough, but I did see the TWA building looking dark when I stepped outside for air.

It won't help the OP who doesn't want to pay for a lounge use but might help others at JFK and at least falls into this thread title. We recently got stuck with a long layover at JFK on Delta. We went to the lounge in the domestic area (near gate's 20-25) luckily for us they suggested we go to the one near the International departures. We paid $30.00 per person and had wonderful snacks and open bar. Much less than we would have spend in the concourse for a couple of beers each with a snack. Great ambiance and lots of good magazines to read.

I had read on these boards that it was possible to go even if you were not traveling "first" or "business".

It won't help the OP who doesn't want to pay for a lounge use but might help others at JFK and at least falls into this thread title. We recently got stuck with a long layover at JFK on Delta. We went to the lounge in the domestic area (near gate's 20-25) luckily for us they suggested we go to the one near the International departures. We paid $30.00 per person and had wonderful snacks and open bar. Much less than we would have spend in the concourse for a couple of beers each with a snack. Great ambiance and lots of good magazines to read.

A couple of clarifications:

1) One-day passes are now $50 per person per day

2) The international area (T3) CRC has a decent selection of snacks, but that tends to be around the time of international departures. With the closure of dedicated Business Elite lounges, the CRC serves both the club membership and business class travelers. You won't find that level of "snacks" in non-gateway lounges, nor at other times of day.

3) Better deal is to get the 30-day membership for $90. Good for a longer period than one-day, plus you can bring in 2 guests or immediate family. Plus, the 30 day membership cost can be applied to a 1 or 3 year membership.

4) Full details at the CRC website within the DL website.

Archived