Some Quick Feedback for NCL

NoVaCruiser60

Just off the Jewel 5 day from Miami to Cozumel and Caymans. Longer review to follow (probably tomorrow), but I have three "gripes" I want to bring to NCL's attention separately.

First, the jogging track...it is not working. As you can tell by my tagline below, I am a runner, and the mixed-use jogging/walking track which doubles as an extension of the pool deck is dangerous. There are two signs announcing the track, but neither is placed to warn the unaware (and let's face it, few people think about running while on a cruise). On the stern, the stairs port and starboard from the Great Outdoors Cafe lead directly into the narrowest part of the track, with no warning signs. Same goes for the door near Cagneys leading on to the track. On an average run, I have several close-calls and inevitably end up chanting "track" "excuse me" pardon me" all the way around. The problem isn't walkers; they know to share the track. Its innocent fellow cruisers who have no idea they stepped onto a running track. Please, NCL, put signs up at the top of those stairs, on the door near Cagneys, and along the area overlooking the pools. You have signs all over warning of winds and "slippery when wet"...I guarantee you a 185 lb man running at 8mph is a far more dangerous situation.:eek: It would also help if you made an announcement on boarding day, and put somethng about it in the Freestyle dailies.

Second, the quiet area in the Spa. Again, only one small sign inside the Spa. Put a larger sign on both sides of both entry doors. You can't blame people for not knowing they're supposed to be silent with one small sign. That leaves it up to the other guests to explain it every time someone walks in amidst a conversation. Have the staff reinforce the point during the boarding day tours and when guests visit. Easily fixed.

Third and last, if the exercise area staff is going to close the stretching room to teach classes, they need to move some stretching mats and exercise balls out of the room so the rest of the guests have access.

I know, I know, if this is all I have to complain about, it must have been a great cruise....and it was!:D Just wanted to get these (correctable) problems brought to NCL's attention.

Although I don't run, I can understand your concerns. On my cruise last week I noticed more people just strolling along the jogging track than joggers. I thought at the time it seemed like a dangerous situation. Why not send an e-mail to head office with your suggestions?

I agree with the others who have replied... you should send your suggestions directly to NCL. Perhaps you'll get one of the emails I got inviting you to participate in a survey. The benefit of posting here, though, is that members who might never have thought about it will know in advance to be wary of the tracks on future cruises.

As for the signage, it's a great idea, but I'm not sure it would do that much good. Oblivious people are as oblivious to signs as they are to 185 lb men coming their way at a fast pace. :p

I myself was one of the people "caught" on the jogging trail going "uh oh" when I realized this idyllic quiet place was not made for me but for the guy running toward me! Thanks for the reminder. I think you are right, that I got on the track not knowing it was a track until I walked back toward the pool deck and saw the sign.

I have filled in comment cards while still on board, and that hasn't had any effect.

I just checked NCL.com, but the "contact us" section doesn't give an e-mail address for general comments/complaints/suggestions...or I can't find it, if it does.

Anybody here have a good e-mail for NCL headquarters? I really don't want to spend time on the phone!;)

I have filled in comment cards while still on board, and that hasn't had any effect.

I just checked NCL.com, but the "contact us" section doesn't give an e-mail address for general comments/complaints/suggestions...or I can't find it, if it does.

Anybody here have a good e-mail for NCL headquarters? I really don't want to spend time on the phone!;)

You should get an email to complete a post cruise survey from NCL next week. Plenty of opportunity to provide detailed feed back. I got of the Gem last Saturday and got the survey on Tuesday of this week.

That said they are not going to redesign the new ships for a better jogging track :confused: The biggest problem is the walkers that should be on deck 7 blocking the track. You want to run get up early :D

I feel for the original poster... It can be dangerous and nerve wracking.

The problem with signs on a cruise ship is... you could put up a thousand signs, but that doesn't mean anyone will read them...

On every ship I have been on, there are clearly marked signs on the promenade deck (also used for running as well by some people) stating that running on that deck is only allowed between certain hours (i.e. after 8 AM so as not to wake people below with pounding strides).

Yet on any given morning, joggers could be found well before the allowed time despite the signs...

The only time it seemed to be enforced was when someone complained to reception....

NoVaCruiser60 thanks for your comments. I'll be on the Pearl in just over a week and I've been thinking about this same issue. I am running a marathon in May and will need to run throughout my cruise. I really don't like to run on treadmills and was actually looking forward to running on the ship. After a winter of running in Minnesota with many layers of clothing, it is going to be a treat to run in shorts again.

I have viewed many photos of the running area and was a little concerned about people wondering around on that area of the ship. I usually run in the morning and had hoped that it would be rather empty from 5:30am -7:30am. It appears that on the Pearl (identical to the Jewel?) the running track is on the 13th deck with only public areas below on the 12th deck. I would think that I would not be bothering anyone on the decks below me and that Cagney's would not open for breakfast until later.

We have excursions planned in each port, so my options are real early in the morning or after we return to the ship each night prior to dinner. I would think that 5:00pm to 7:00pm is the worst of all possible times to run.

Again thanks for your comments and shedding light on this issue that is important to a small percentage of us.

@ minn55441: if you are running 0530-0730, you wont bother anyone and you may not see anyone, either. I noticed walking traffic picking up around 0730, and general traffic around 0900. I just can't get myself up that early on a cruizzzzzzzz. 1700-1900 may not be that bad, but I will warn you to give up any hope of running outside during the sail-away party the first day of your cruise. That's when folks grab drinks and wander all over the top decks looking for a place to watch the port departure, so its not worth it to fight the crowds.

@ michigan tim: you're half right! I have bowled over a few children, :o as they are much harder to avoid than old ladies. And that hasn't done it. Maybe I need to run down some old ladies:rolleyes:.

Anyway, when I do have a collision, its normally a glancing blow. I refer to it as "sliming," since I know the other party feels the immediate need to dry off!

Thanks to all for the support and info; fax on the way (and review later today, 'Nita)

Hi Pat, good to see you again! We sailed with you on the Pearl last January, and shared a dinner together the night before sailaway.

John and I will be on the Jewel for the 14 night repo in October, and I am looking forward to your review!

Archived