Pompeii/Herculaneum/Museum

sciencemom45

Is it too much to do Pompeii, Herculaneum and the museum in Naple in one day? We will be with 2 teenagers!

It can be done if you do not miss a step. You will be unable to do justice to the museum, tho, and you will be exhausted at the end.

We did Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day. Frankly, Herculaneum was more interesting to me. The level of preservation gave a better representation of daily life than Pompeii.

Having said that, I am glad that we did both so that we could compare and contrast the two.

As many here have said, Pompeii is awesome!

(btw, many of the relics in the museum are viewable online for free.)

How much time in port? We're doing that soon, but we've been to Pompeii once before and we have 8:00 am to 11:30 pm in port so if we have some extra time to play with. Check the last entry times for all 3 for when you will be there, for us in early-mid May we have a last entry to the scavis at 5:30 and the museum at 6:30 in the evening. We know we'll spend a couple of hours at Pompeii, a couple of hours at Erculano and then straight to the museum. We'll work in a light lunch somewhere along the way.

I think aiming for 2 of the 3 might be easier, but if you have your heart set on all 3 it can probably be done. We did Pompeii and the Museum (with a lunch stop in between) and it made for a full day, but I like to linger in places rather than speed through them.

In Oct. we did Pompeii and Herculaneum and were very tired at the end of the day. We left the boat at 7:30 and got back at 3:30PM. We walked to the train station and took the train to Pompeii first. We did Herculaneum on the way back. My husband liked Herculaneum better than Pompeii because it is better preserved. It was a lot of walking and the weather wasn't very hot so we were lucky. I don't know when you are going but it could be very hot and there is no shade at Pompeii. We never stopped for lunch either. By the time you get to the museum you may not be able to do it justice.

Julie

In Oct. we did Pompeii and Herculaneum and were very tired at the end of the day. We left the boat at 7:30 and got back at 3:30PM. We walked to the train station and took the train to Pompeii first. We did Herculaneum on the way back.

Julie

Thanks - can you post something about the train and the journey - like how long & the cost - how frequent the train runs ? does the same train stop in both towns and how far is each station from the site to walk ??

TIA

Graham & Anita

Here is the link to the train, it is the Circumvesuviana train, from the central Napoli station to the Pompeii Scavi station is about 20-35 minutes or so, trains run every 10-30 minutes. Pompeii Scavi station back to Erculano Scavi station is anywhere from 10-15 minutes (you'll pass Erculano Scavi station on your way to Pompeii Scavi. Napoli to Pompeii Scavi is about 2.40 euros each way. There is also a Campania ArteCard for 27 euros that covers the train fares, 2 sites free and 50 percent of entry to others. If you do the combined ticket for Pompeii and Herculaneum, that's 20 euros or 11 euros entry for each, if you only do one of those sites and the Musuem (6.50-10 euros entry depending on special exhibits), plus the trains and the ArteCard at least gets you even if it doesn't save you some money and avoids hassles of waiting in lines.

Graham & Anita,

I found this schedule of the Circumvesuviano train:

http://www.sorrentomap.com/trasporti.asp?lng=en&tr=circum

I also found this website was very good for explaining how to get to Pompeii:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

We left the boat at 7:30AM trying to catch the 8:10 train but the walk took longer then we thought it would. We caught the next one and my first picture at Pompeii is at 9:15AM. The walk from the train station to the entrance at Pompeii is very short. You can see the entrance from the front of the train station. When we exited Pompeii we had a little trouble finding the same road back to the station but eventually found it. It is the same train back to Herculaneum (Erculano Scavi). The walk to Herculaneum is longer and all down hill through the town. We left Pompeii at 11:30AM and our first pictures at Herculaneum were at 12:45PM. We left Herculaneum at 2:10PM and were back at the boat at 3:30PM. One thing we did find was that we had to purchase a ticket for each leg of the trip. I have read that there is somewhere you can buy an all-day-pass but we didn't find it. I think the whole trip was about 5 euros each.

We very much enjoyed our day on our own in Naples and hope you do also.

Julie

Hi,

If this is your first visit to Naples then this is a difficult one to answer. My wife and I have been to Sorrento twice on a 14 night and 7 night holiday and have been to Pompeii and Herculaneum twice and the Museum once. Pompeii is obviously the more famous one, however it is huge and as someone else remarked no shade. Herculaneum is much smaller but much better preserved and there is more shade. The walk downhill from the station is not far and unless you have mobility problems is not an issue. The Museum is very interesting but in my opinion to do all three would be tiring.

We're thinking of going to Herculaneum when we are Naples next summer. Just out of curiosity are there any little vendors outside like there are at Pompeii? Last year our guide waited patiently while we got pizza and drinks after our tour of Pompeii. This year I'm wondering about buying lemon drops and other limoncello souvenirs.:):)

• 2 years later...
In Oct. we did Pompeii and Herculaneum and were very tired at the end of the day. We left the boat at 7:30 and got back at 3:30PM. We walked to the train station and took the train to Pompeii first. We did Herculaneum on the way back. My husband liked Herculaneum better than Pompeii because it is better preserved. It was a lot of walking and the weather wasn't very hot so we were lucky. I don't know when you are going but it could be very hot and there is no shade at Pompeii. We never stopped for lunch either. By the time you get to the museum you may not be able to do it justice.

Julie

We are going to be in Naples in July, 2011 and would like to visit Herculaneum and the museum in Naples. Our ship arrives early in the morning and leaves about 6 PM. We need information on transportation. We are not planning to revisit Pompeii

I might add that these topics are best discussed in the Italy forum. That being said here is our take on the OPs question. You are dealing with teenagers! If you make them trek through Pompeii, Herculanium and a very large museum in a port day your teens will probably burn you in effigy! As to the last question, the Circumvesuviania Line (which is actually a small private railroad seperate from the national Trenitalia Line) runs out of a small station right next to the main Naples train station. You can go to the main station, buy tickets and go down to the lower level where you will find the trains. Their main line train runs from Naples to Sorrento and that train stops at both Erolano Scavi (for Herculanium) and Pompeii Scavi (for Pompeii) before continuing onto Sorrento. This is a commuter type train (like an above ground subway) and there are no reservations. You just buy a ticket and go. There is a train every 30 minutes. If you want to do both Pompeii and Herculanium in a single day you can buy a combination entry ticket (at either site) that includes both sites. IMHO trying to do both ruins and the museum in a day will leave you "ruined."

Hank

I might add that these topics are best discussed in the Italy forum. That being said here is our take on the OPs question. You are dealing with teenagers! If you make them trek through Pompeii, Herculanium and a very large museum in a port day your teens will probably burn you in effigy! As to the last question, the Circumvesuviania Line (which is actually a small private railroad seperate from the national Trenitalia Line) runs out of a small station right next to the main Naples train station. You can go to the main station, buy tickets and go down to the lower level where you will find the trains. Their main line train runs from Naples to Sorrento and that train stops at both Erolano Scavi (for Herculanium) and Pompeii Scavi (for Pompeii) before continuing onto Sorrento. This is a commuter type train (like an above ground subway) and there are no reservations. You just buy a ticket and go. There is a train every 30 minutes. If you want to do both Pompeii and Herculanium in a single day you can buy a combination entry ticket (at either site) that includes both sites. IMHO trying to do both ruins and the museum in a day will leave you "ruined."

Hank

Seems you are so knowledgable about travelling so I would like to ask you for some advice. Do you recommend any private guides for Sorrento/Capri; Amalfi/Positano; Rome and Florence? We are a group of 6 and would like to arrange our own tours with a guide. I think Venice is doable on our own unless you recommend someone there too. Appreciate any help you can give us with names to contact.

Seems you are so knowledgable about travelling so I would like to ask you for some advice. Do you recommend any private guides for Sorrento/Capri; Amalfi/Positano; Rome and Florence? We are a group of 6 and would like to arrange our own tours with a guide. I think Venice is doable on our own unless you recommend someone there too. Appreciate any help you can give us with names to contact.

We are probably not a good person to answer your question as we seldom take tours or use private guides. But I will say that it never made any sense to me for anyone to use a tour or guide on Capri. Its very easy to get there on your own and its pretty easy to explore the island if you simply have a guide book or download some basic info from the web. As to Amalfi/Positano this is where it really would make sense for you to hire a private car/driver since the large tour buses are not even permitted to enter Positano (they have to be content with looking down from the road above). Rome is a very large sprawling city and many folks would say that a first-time visitor would benefit by having a guide. As to Florence, it can easily be done on your own (with a decent guide book) although some folks want the hand-holding they get from a professional guide. I should add that both Florence and Rome have too much to see in a single day (or several days) so you really need to pick and choose how you want to spend your time.

Hank

The only thing I can add to all the excellent advice you've already received is that the trains that bring you to these places are the local ones. Crowded, not-too-clean, and uncomfortable! Depending on the day and the time you travel, you may have a hard seat to sit on or you may be standing for quite a while. Consider your tolerances for this kind of discomfort when you plan your day.

We are probably not a good person to answer your question as we seldom take tours or use private guides. But I will say that it never made any sense to me for anyone to use a tour or guide on Capri. Its very easy to get there on your own and its pretty easy to explore the island if you simply have a guide book or download some basic info from the web. As to Amalfi/Positano this is where it really would make sense for you to hire a private car/driver since the large tour buses are not even permitted to enter Positano (they have to be content with looking down from the road above). Rome is a very large sprawling city and many folks would say that a first-time visitor would benefit by having a guide. As to Florence, it can easily be done on your own (with a decent guide book) although some folks want the hand-holding they get from a professional guide. I should add that both Florence and Rome have too much to see in a single day (or several days) so you really need to pick and choose how you want to spend your time.

Hank

Thanks for your response. We have been to Rome and Florence before, but one couple we are going with has not been there. Fortunately, our ship gives us 2 days in Florence which gives us time to see a little more. But still only 1 day in Rome.

more questions: if we want to go to somewhere on Amalfi coast and Herculaneum, should we take a ferry 1st to Capri or Sorrento and then the train back and hit Herculaneum on the way back to the ship---or would early-afternoon in Aug. be too late for Herculaneum. Or, should we just take the train all the way to Sorrento in the AM and then backtrack? We are OK with sun and heat--having just endured the Roman Forum in Aug. last year. Also, which Almalfi town to visit? We want a smaller, beautiful town--don't care about shopping, etc. thanks, Elaine

more questions: if we want to go to somewhere on Amalfi coast and Herculaneum, should we take a ferry 1st to Capri or Sorrento and then the train back and hit Herculaneum on the way back to the ship---or would early-afternoon in Aug. be too late for Herculaneum. Or, should we just take the train all the way to Sorrento in the AM and then backtrack? We are OK with sun and heat--having just endured the Roman Forum in Aug. last year. Also, which Almalfi town to visit? We want a smaller, beautiful town--don't care about shopping, etc. thanks, Elaine

First you need to understand that Sorrento is not really on the Amalfi coast, although it is the place where the regional SITA bus originates that does drive along the Amalfi Coast. That being said, if you want simply go to Sorrento then your idea makes lots of sense since most of the stores in Sorrento close during the afternoon. So, it makes a lot of sense to take the Circumvesuviania Line train from Naples to Sorrento in the morning (the train takes about 1:05) and then you can take that same train line back (towards Naples) and get off at Ercolano Scavi to see Herculanium. If you want to visit a real Amalfi Coast town then probably the best place would be Positano. But getting there is a bit complicated (part of the charm). This is why many folks that want to do your kind of day trip perfer to hire a private car/guide. Otherwise, getting to Positano involves taking the regional SITA bus from Sorrento or managing to find a jetboat/hydrofoil that works with your schedule (not always possible).

Hank

Archived