What ship would you choose? Radiance or Spirit

Misnco

Hi All:

Your suggestions would be appreciated. We are trying to decide which cruise to take. RCL Radiance of the Seas 9 day sails January 2, 2010 or 8 day Carnival Spirit on January 6, 2010.

Our family consists of 2 - 24 year olds , 76 year old and two 50 somethings...LOL

We need something for everyone, especially the "youngsters". We were are the RCL Jewel in January - Panama Canal and the 20 somethings were far out numbered by the older crowd. They want folks more their age on this cruise.

So, help us decide.

We are really looking forward to cruising the Mexican Riveria!

Tough to find "younger" on either of the cruises you mentioned. Typically, anything over 7 days and you have a drop-off of the younger crowd. Of the 2 you mentioned, Spirit will probably have a slightly younger demographic because it is 8 days vs. 9 days. Have you looked at the 7 day trips out of Long Beach/Los Angeles. Their itinerary is Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, & Puerto Vallerta (all good places). Cabo will have very good whale watching excursions in January. The 7 day cruises will have the best mix of young and old.

Of the two companies, RCCL will have the prettier ships (Radiance is beautiful, Mariner is huge and nice). RCCL food has been disappointing. Carnival will have larger standard cabins (balcony & below). Carnival will have better food (in my opinion). Carnival will have gaudier decor (it bothers some, doesn't bother me at all).

Does economics play into it at all. Heres what I found. Prices listed are in order of Inside Cabin, Oceanview, Balcony, Suite.

Radiance (9 day) - 609 - 799 - 999 - 2099

Spirit (8 day) - 509 - 649 - 669 - 1219

Mariner (7 day) - 549 - 699 - 829 - 1549

Splendor (7 day) - 379 - 469 - 689 - 1299

As you can see, the savings can really add up when you are talking 5 people on Carnival vs. 5 on RCCL.

If you want more cruising than a 7 day provides, maybe you could ditch the kids after the 7 day and then take another 3-4 day jaunt on either Carnival Elation or Carnival Paradise.

Go with the Radiance....I was on teh Serenade in August which is the sister ship of the Radiance..the floor to ceiling windows are everywhere...there isn't a bad spot to sit on the ship. The thermal suite OMG...is soooo comfy and quiet...it's a great escape for mom and dad while the little's one are in teh childrens program. Very high ceilings...everything is open...no enclosed feeling....the Carnival ships seem to give a feeling that your stuck in a dark cave. At least the Carnival Conquest does.

This is my opinion...somebody else I'm sure will offer another one.

Angela...if you want more info e-mail me at angelaandjohn@charter.net and I'll be happy to send pictures of the Serenade and you'll see what you'll get on the Radiance

I have been on both ships, 3 times on the Spirit and twice on the Radiance. I love them both, with maybe a slight edge to the Spirit, since she is most recent. I love the layout of the Spirit class ships and I did find there was a slight bit younger demographic on the Spirit. I have also had 20's with me when I went. A lot of Carnival people will tell you that the Spirit class is their favorite. Easy to navigate around. The Radiance is a beautiful ship and I agree with the previous poster about the floor to ceiling windows....beautiful. I would give a slight edge to Carnival on the food, and the room are a bit bigger. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer. But you really can't go wrong with either ship.

I have only sailed on one RCCL, it was the Monarch, The food was OK, then food was about the same as what we had on Carnival, The entertainment was a little lacking, but where I found the biggest difference was the room size, Radiance rooms are 160 sq ft, Carnival's rooms are 184 sq ft, That doesnt sound like muchm but it really is a big difference in such a small space.

I think Acapulco and Manzanillo are getting a bad wrap. We have been to both and had found some interesting things to do, You just have to look past the commercial port in Manzanilla and accept that Acapulco is in Mexico and you will be solicited to purchase items.

I am sure that you will have a wonderful cruise no matter which you cruise. For us Carnival is more our style, (on he longer cruises) the short ones are like one big frat party.

That's a tough question because I like both ships. Well, let me rephrase that. We've not been on the Radiance, but the sister Serenade is our second favorite ship of all that we've cruised. Having said that, the Spirit is easily in our top five, and that was before she went in for a refurb. We're also looking at the Radiance in November. If I had to choose though, I'd take the Radiance just because we're admitted cruise snobs and NCL's optional formal night policy doesn't get it with us. Bon voyage!

Archived