What NOT to pack?

Roadtripster

It always amazes me the amount of crapola some people want to schlep with them. And the sheer amount of regular luggage! Good grief! Two adults and eight suitcases? Have to wonder how much goes home unworn.

Most of it. I just got from a week trip to London and brought only a 22" rollarbag. I think I pack pretty well, but I still did not wear everything I brought! I can't imagine what people put into those huge bags I see at the airport.

A sane thread! I knew you people were hanging out here someplace. We pack all in an 19-20 inch carry on bag. If it doesn't fit in it doesn't come. And we go home with some things unworn/unused. A full size case for shoes? I could pack every shoe I owned, plus those that my 3 kids owned, in a bag like that. Someone also claims to bring 21 bras for a 7 day cruise. What??? And I never saw anyone looking all that spiffy onboard! Most people I saw could have been wearing the same shorts every day with a clean tee for all I could tell. Which was appropriate. It is a pretty casual atmosphere most of the time.

The more I cruise the less I pack. :D I think this is true of most cruisers. You learn thru experience. Also, if you have to fly to ports, the airlines are making it more difficult to pack heavy and/or bring multiple suitcases. I refuse to pay those extra charges.

Roz

We always bring the duct tape. Last cruise we had rough seas all night and used the tape for closet door and drawers to keep them from rolling open/shut all night as the ship swayed back and forth.:D

I tend to pack a lot of clothes for a cruise, but i wear ALL of them. I'm a little clumsy and it's not uncommon for me to spill something, drop something, etc. on my clothes. I know, you think you grow out of that after childhood? Nope, not me. :)

What I didn't need:

My Cruise Critic door sign... just too embarassed to hang it up. However, I left it on the bed, and my stateroom attendent mentioned seeing it (it said "first time cruiser" on it).

Immodium, Meclizine, Neosporin, Hydrocortizone cream... didn't need but would have been bummed if I did need and didn't have. BTW, you can buy Meclizine (aka Bonine) in the shops, but if you need Immodium you might be quarrantined (or so I have heard).

Cash for tips. I could have filled out the piece of paper delivered to my stateroom and charged them to my sea pass.

Fancy over-the-neck passport holders. I wore mine in Nassau, but a purse or fanny pack would have been sufficient.

Workout clothes. Dude, did I seriously think I was going to go to the gym on vacation?

The rest of the stuff that I didn't need was related to the weather: Waterproof container for the beach (my husband called them "cigarette cases"-we are both non smokers). We missed our beach port of call, so didn't even need them. Ditto for my own snorkeling gear-took up a lot of space and we never took it out of the suitcase. 3 swimsuits are useless when it's too windy to sunbathe... beach sandals/water shoes are useless when it's too windy to tender to the private island, ditto the maps and tips of the island.

However-the things that I AM glad I brought:

The over-the-door shoe holder... took up about the same space as a folded up tee-shirt, and even my doubting DH said it was a great idea. I hung it inside the bathroom door. Pockets for everything-toothpaste, sunscreen, mousse, hairbrush, etc etc etc, since there is NO counter space in the tiny bathrooms.

Also-nightlight: the curtains are super dark, and no natural light leaks in unless you want it to-night light makes it safe to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (BTW this is something I travel with everywhere-hotel rooms, in-laws, etc).

I wish I would have brought along a clock that I could see at night-I had to grab my watch and push a button to get it to light up to see the time when I woke up. Didn't need an alarm (used room service or wake up call for that), just needed to know the time.

I also ended up needing a second memory card for my camera (luckily the photo store sold them, at a reasonable price, and was open when I needed it).

We brought our deck of cards, sat down in one of the lounges to play, and realized we didn't remember the rules of the game (it's been years since we played). We should have either brought directions, or skipped the cards. We just ended up argueing about it.

For the life of me I can't pack as light of you folks. How in the world can you get everything for a week into a 22" case? Do you wear the same clothes over and over? Does hubby bring a suit? Do you really have what you want when you get onboard?

For the life of me I can't pack as light of you folks. How in the world can you get everything for a week into a 22" case? Do you wear the same clothes over and over? Does hubby bring a suit? Do you really have what you want when you get onboard?

Well for us, no we don't wear the same clothes over and over. First off, we are usually in our swimsuit most of the day. Either by needing to wear it on shore excursions or if at sea, then wearing it at the pool all day. Once excursions or pool time is over, we go back to the cabin and take a shower and put on our dinner clothes for the rest of the evening. Therefore, we really don't pack a ton of shorts and shirts. I wear a coverup that can be washed out and dries quickly.

My husband does not bring a suit nor do I wear a long gown for dinner. We just dress dressy.

Shoes take up a ton of room so I match my dresses to my one pair of dress shoes. This cruise my color is red. LOL Usually wear the biggest heaviest shoes on board so they don't have to be packed.

Toiletries are always the smallest container possible. We try to combine and share things. EX: Instead of 2 toothpaste - we share one.

You forgot these, all of which I have seen mentioned here, and none of which I have ever needed:

extra hangers, over-the-door shoe hanger, alarm clock, five hardback books, corkscrew, swiss army knife, pillows, sheets, crazy glue, rubbing alcohol, bungie cords, clothespins, baby bouncing seat, beach umbrella, Brita water filter, bath robe, gifts from your hometown for the crew, insulated coffee mug, spray bottles, cans of air freshner, coffee maker, potato chip bag clip, and on and on.

I agree. There are some things that, depending on the ship and the traveler can make the experience better. However some of these lists I see make me scratch my head...

• 2 weeks later...
What DO people use duct tape for on the ship?? :confused:

Wondered about that myself. I have seen this suggested several times, but don't quite understand why. Guess I'll just leave mine in the nightstand where it belongs. :p:rolleyes:

DH is the ridiculous packer and brings EVERYTHING! I must say though, on our last cruise to the Galapagos, I got a blister and bandaids weren't working to cover the spot or stay on-duct tape worked like a charm! I'll never doubt him again!

Well for us, no we don't wear the same clothes over and over. First off, we are usually in our swimsuit most of the day. Either by needing to wear it on shore excursions or if at sea, then wearing it at the pool all day. Once excursions or pool time is over, we go back to the cabin and take a shower and put on our dinner clothes for the rest of the evening. Therefore, we really don't pack a ton of shorts and shirts. I wear a coverup that can be washed out and dries quickly.

My husband does not bring a suit nor do I wear a long gown for dinner. We just dress dressy.

Shoes take up a ton of room so I match my dresses to my one pair of dress shoes. This cruise my color is red. LOL Usually wear the biggest heaviest shoes on board so they don't have to be packed.

Toiletries are always the smallest container possible. We try to combine and share things. EX: Instead of 2 toothpaste - we share one.

I thought you HAD to wear a suit or at least a suit jacket and tie for the formal thingy's ??

Forfun,

Irons are a fire hazard, as they can be left on unknowingly and catch a bed, towel, clothes, etc. on fire.

Roz

The last night on the Esctacy coming into Galveston there was a fire 2 decks below us. I heard someone put a hot curling iron in the luggage. Have to careful.

I don't pack anything "just in case". The only things that goes in my 22" roll-on-board are those that I KNOW will be worn. I don't take duct tape' date=' over the door shoe thingies, no more than 3 pair of shoes (one of which I'm wearing at any given time), no full size anything (including shampoos, body washed, lotions, toothpastes, etc). I take only the clothes I'll wear. My suitcase rarely hits 40 pounds.[/quote']

Totally agree. If I need something I can buy it.

If you have long, thick or both hair, the provided blow dryer may not be powerfull enough to dry quickly. I have long, thick hair and could never go w/o my own dryer.

Just one blow dryer? I have two, one regular one for days I want to go straight and a special flat one with a difuser for the days I use my natural curl. Ohh, and I need three or four curling irons too and a power strip :)

I like most of the tips I am reading on here though, I definitely know what isn't coming with us on the next trip and what we need to bring. I took everything out of the suitcases that we didn't use and put it away, the stuff we used (alarm clock, cards, bubba mugs etc) remained in the lugagge and will be checked to be in working order before the next trip.

I will be trying the over the door shoe thing because I have started using one at home for the bathroom and well I've got one for my heft collection of glasses and sun glasses in the bedroom.

Hey my license plates say HI M8NC for a reason :)

Archived