Price Drop on Repositioning Cruises?

eddiesgal

I was just curious, has anyone ever experienced a price drop on a repositioning cruise? It seems to me that due to a unique itinerary the ships would fill quickly so there would be no need for a reduction. Any input?

I tend to feel the opposite of what you think. I know that generally when they start selling the repo cruises theyare almost rock bottom pricing. I think this is because of flights, if you have to fly to a port it is a lot cheaper to get a round trip ticket than to fly one way from 2 separate locations. Most of the repo cruises I have seen are pretty cheap and have great itineraries.

Keep checking prices change all the time. just make sure you are comparing the same cabin/class etc.

I tend to feel the opposite of what you think. I know that generally when they start selling the repo cruises theyare almost rock bottom pricing. I think this is because of flights, if you have to fly to a port it is a lot cheaper to get a round trip ticket than to fly one way from 2 separate locations. Most of the repo cruises I have seen are pretty cheap and have great itineraries.

Keep checking prices change all the time. just make sure you are comparing the same cabin/class etc.[/quote

Your post makes a lot of sense. The flights are a bit more expensive having to purchase two one ways.

I was just curious, has anyone ever experienced a price drop on a repositioning cruise? It seems to me that due to a unique itinerary the ships would fill quickly so there would be no need for a reduction. Any input?

Repositioning cruises are usually cheaper.

Usually way cheaper, you can do a 13 night on the Independece of the Sea April 12th, inside $349 per person, or a balcony $649 per person, cant do much better than that. I you book, just keep an eye on this, we love them, different iternarties.

Keep checking prices change all the time. just make sure you are comparing the same cabin/class etc.[/quote

Your post makes a lot of sense. The flights are a bit more expensive having to purchase two one ways.

We have received price reductions on a number of our transatlantic cruises when the ship was repositioning from Europe to the US and the recent Mariner repo to the West Coast saw several significant price reductions, some just shortly before the sailing date. Sometimes the expectations for being able to sell out a cruise at its initial pricing turns out to be wrong and results in price reductions. This is as true with repo cruises as with any others.:)

The cruise in question is the repo of Grandeur departing from Baltimore 11/19 to Tampa 12/03. It's still very far out so we'll keep an eye closer to the sail date.

Keep checking but this type of repo where many passengers appreciate that there is only one flight required and they can drive to the departure point, tend to fill up pretty quickly. We have a similar situation with the Jewel repos out of Boston. When you add in the factor that some people will use this cruise as the most pleasurable way to get to warm and sunny Florida where they will then spend several winter months, the appeal of this repo becomes even more evident. If the recession deepens, demand might drop and prices will follow suit, so monitor this cruise regularly and be prepared to request any subsequent price drops if they apply.:) Also check to see if any residency or senior citizen rates are offered. Sometimes they appear and on short notice disappear.:)

On the 15 night repo for the Voyager last november, the price for an inside cabin including port charges, taxes and fuel supplement was $1,260 for two- that's not each, that was the full price for 2 pax in a basic inside cabin.

can't get much cheaper than that.

The cruise in question is the repo of Grandeur departing from Baltimore 11/19 to Tampa 12/03. It's still very far out so we'll keep an eye closer to the sail date.

Kim,

When I first started looking at this cruise last July, an OV was $1699. Then by the time I went to book it in August the price had gone way up. :eek: On the roll call for this cruise, a poster said that his travel agent had rooms blocked at the original prices when the bookings were first available. Even though I prefer to do my own booking, I went with the travel agent and saved about $1000 for the cabin. Since I booked, the prices have come down to about $100 over what I paid. I still keep an eye on the pricing for this cruise, hoping for another price drop. :) Also, no fuel surcharge, so we're saving an extra $280!

Kim,

When I first started looking at this cruise last July, an OV was $1699. Then by the time I went to book it in August the price had gone way up. :eek: On the roll call for this cruise, a poster said that his travel agent had rooms blocked at the original prices when the bookings were first available. Even though I prefer to do my own booking, I went with the travel agent and saved about $1000 for the cabin. Since I booked, the prices have come down to about $100 over what I paid. I still keep an eye on the pricing for this cruise, hoping for another price drop. :) Also, no fuel surcharge, so we're saving an extra $280!

If it does drop before we see it, hopefully somebody on our Grandeur Roll Call will spot it and give us the heads up:)

Keep checking but this type of repo where many passengers appreciate that there is only one flight required and they can drive to the departure point, tend to fill up pretty quickly. We have a similar situation with the Jewel repos out of Boston. When you add in the factor that some people will use this cruise as the most pleasurable way to get to warm and sunny Florida where they will then spend several winter months, the appeal of this repo becomes even more evident. If the recession deepens, demand might drop and prices will follow suit, so monitor this cruise regularly and be prepared to request any subsequent price drops if they apply.:) Also check to see if any residency or senior citizen rates are offered. Sometimes they appear and on short notice disappear.:)

I have been watching the Jewel repo for the last few years. I had actually booked the one they ended up cancelling (?2007). So far this year the prices have gone up. I do not want to commit myself this year so I will watch and wait. Maybe I will be taking a last minute repo cruise if the price is right!

AR 4030 If you go to Royal Caribbean to "find a cruise", under destinations one of your choices will be repositioning. I don't pick a ship or month so everything comes up.

We are on the Grandeur repo in April, and we only have to fly to San Juan. Since we live in VA, we can just drive home from Norfolk. The inside is a great deal at $399 pp, but the OV and above starts at $849 pp, so it's still pretty pricey...I keep checking for price drops, but the OV and above don't seem to be moving. There seem to be quite a few inside cabins left, and we are about 60 days out. We'd love to get a balcony, but I'm not sure I want to pay that much for it...

What is the easiest way to find repostioning cruises. I am having a difficult finding them. Thank you for your help.

Look for transatlantic and transpacific sailings. Search for cruises for more than 9 nights.

I read on here about someone who purchased a round-trip ticket and used it on 2 transatlantic cruises; sailed US to Europe, flew home, some months later flew back to Europe and sailed back to US (or vice-versa).

In response to the Op's original question, prices can and do drop on repositioning and TA cruises.

We received a $400.00 pp price drop on a TA last fall on Azamara after final payment. The year before, received a $500.00 pp price drop a couple of months prior to a cruise on X's Galaxy.

So keep an eye open The only price reductions that you may not receive might be those for specials for those not already booked, (if you already are booked on the cruise).

Happy Cruising,

TnT

We are doing the Member's Cruise on April 26 on Radiance that is repositioning from South America to San Diego prior to sailing up to start her Alaska season.

The JS brochure prices were $3299pp. Right now with a military discount the cost for a JS is $1499pp. The airfare is almost as much as the cabin.

Forgot to mention, already recieved a $200.00 pp price reduction, (since original booking), on the westbound TA this November on IOTS.

Very surprised this happened this far out!

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Archived