From Kings Wharf to Horsehoe Beach

jnmrlk

There is a #10 bus from Kings wharf (dockyard) to Horseshoe bay.

It's direct.

On the way back they make stops.

Cheaper than a taxi and it's a nice drive along the coast for a while.

We did it and would do it again.

Coming back there is a shuttle for $1.00 per person to drive you back up the steep hill. If it's hot & humid... take it !!!

Is it better to take the bus or a taxi? If we choose to take the bus does it go "straight" there (stopping enroute) or does it make a detour around to get there (hope that made sense!)

There is a #10 bus from Kings wharf (dockyard) to Horseshoe bay.

It's direct.

On the way back they make stops.

Cheaper than a taxi and it's a nice drive along the coast for a while.

We did it and would do it again.

Coming back there is a shuttle for $1.00 per person to drive you back up the steep hill. If it's hot & humid... take it !!!

We've been to Bermuda 6 times and have never seen the #10 bus at the Dockyards (Kings Wharf). The bus that goes from the Dockyards to Horseshoe Bay is the #7. They also have some "special" buses which make direct runs round trip between the Dockyards and Horseshoe Bay. We usually avoid those as they don't leave until they are nearly full. Wasting precious time while in port.

• 1 month later...
Any pix of this hill. ??:confused:

The hill isn't that bad. I'm almost 40 and I have bad knees (Army accident). It's walkable. I actually made it up the hill before my friends got there by the van. The van wasn't filled up yet so they didn't get to go. by the time I got to the top, the van arrived.

It's $2.00 so its no big deal. It's just a matter of preference. I just felt like walking. :)

We've been to Bermuda 6 times and have never seen the #10 bus at the Dockyards (Kings Wharf). The bus that goes from the Dockyards to Horseshoe Bay is the #7. They also have some "special" buses which make direct runs round trip between the Dockyards and Horseshoe Bay. We usually avoid those as they don't leave until they are nearly full. Wasting precious time while in port.

You are right the #10 is the St George's-Hamiton route

For those planning to go to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard, something to think about:

1. This beach is crowded when there is one cruise ship docked at King's Wharf.

2. This year there will be two large ships docked at Kings Wahrf on certain days, disgorging about 4,000 passengers on to the 2 lane road to Horseshoe Bay.

3. In addition, HAL's Veendam will be docking in Hamilton this year and many of their passengers will also be going to Horseshoe Bay which is halfway between Hamilton and the Dockyard.

4. Getting to Horseshoe Bay from the dockyard is not a problem. However, returning you must hike up the hill to the bus stop where hundreds of people may be waiting. How many can get on one bus which already has passengers from Elbow Beach and Hamilton. You may have a problem getting back to the ship on tme for dinner.

5. With two ships docking in King's Wharf, Bermuda may run extra shuttle buses direct to and from Horseshoe Bay. They are preferable to the regular bus to Hamilton. It would be nice if the shuttle buses went down the hill directly to the beach but I don't think they do.

6. If you must go to Horseshoe Bay (many nice, less crowded alternate beaches on Bermuda), a taxi may be worth the extra cost. We prefer the ferry to either Hamilton or St. George and going to an alternate beach from there.

What's the reason people go to Horseshoe Bay over the other beaches? Where can I find the pink sand?

Thanks

It's the largest expanse of beach, has full facilities, one of the pinkist and lots of coves to explore. Just understand that this was taken in Oct. other times of the year it can get quite crowded.

94189d06.jpg

Which Beach would you recommend Dolphins? We have 10 people in our group, one who is in a wheel chair. It may not be too bad in May? Any thoughts? Thanks, for your help. Brad

Brad- Your wheel chair passenger creates a problem as I don't think he can ride on any of the buses. Your best bet for the wheel chair passenger would be Snorkel Park in the Naval Dockyard which is within walking distance of the cruise ship dock. For the people in your group who can ride the buses, I would recommend taking the ferry to Hamilton, walking two blocks to the Bus Terminal and taking a bus to either Shelly Bay on the north shore or John Smith's Bay on the south shore. If the winds are strong from the south or east, go to Shelly Bay which is very calm and uncrowded. If winds are strong from the west (unusual), avoid Shelly Bay. Both beaches have facilities and are about a 15 minute bus ride from Hamilton. Another alternative is taking the ferry to St. George and taking a shuttle van to either Tobacco Bay or St. Catherine's Beach.

Finally, be advised that the water temperature in May in Bermuda is pretty cold which is why I always go in late September or early October. Hope this information is helpful?

For those planning to go to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard, something to think about:

1. This beach is crowded when there is one cruise ship docked at King's Wharf.

2. This year there will be two large ships docked at Kings Wahrf on certain days, disgorging about 4,000 passengers on to the 2 lane road to Horseshoe Bay.

3. In addition, HAL's Veendam will be docking in Hamilton this year and many of their passengers will also be going to Horseshoe Bay which is halfway between Hamilton and the Dockyard.

4. Getting to Horseshoe Bay from the dockyard is not a problem. However, returning you must hike up the hill to the bus stop where hundreds of people may be waiting. How many can get on one bus which already has passengers from Elbow Beach and Hamilton. You may have a problem getting back to the ship on tme for dinner.

5. With two ships docking in King's Wharf, Bermuda may run extra shuttle buses direct to and from Horseshoe Bay. They are preferable to the regular bus to Hamilton. It would be nice if the shuttle buses went down the hill directly to the beach but I don't think they do.

6. If you must go to Horseshoe Bay (many nice, less crowded alternate beaches on Bermuda), a taxi may be worth the extra cost. We prefer the ferry to either Hamilton or St. George and going to an alternate beach from there.

It's unlikely that every single passenger will be on the road to the South Shore.

Many people will stay around she ship, take the ferry to Hamilton or St Georges

Hundreds of people? I have taken the bus to and from Horseshoe Bay several times while three ships have been in port and have never seen hundreds of people waiting for the bus. It's true however, that sometimes the busses are full and you need to wait for the next one.

There is a guy with a van who will drive you to the top of the hill for a couple of dollars. Best money you ever spent!

The South Shore busses stop at all of the beaches, Horseshoe, Elbow, Warwick Long Bay.

Horseshoe Bay has clean rest rooms, a reasonably priced snack bar and lifeguards. Even when it's crowded, it's still nice

Exactly how big is this hill? A mile, 2 miles? 20 min walk, a hour walk what?

I takes about 5 minutes to walk up. It is steep. For out of shape, oversized people, or seniors, it might be a problem, or in hot humid weather a ride might be nice. What I do is if the $1 van guy is there with his van I take the van because I like his initiative, like him, and he gives a short Bermuda fact on the drive up which takes a minute. If he is not there I don't wait, I walk up.

Archived