Travel with minor

Bethee99

OK I know this has been asked before I just want to double check.

I am thinking of planning a cruise with my cousin for spring break. If he is 15 do I just need a letter from his parents signing over rights for travel and medical for the week?

also, I already have my passport but I don't think he has one since it is in April a BC for him is OK right?

If we go we will go on the Mariner to Mexico.

I'm not an expert on the whole passport dates cuz they keep changing them. But definitly do a legal letter from his parents. I am 16 and I travel with my whole family alot, but last week I went on IOS with my gram and my aunt. I went to sign up for the Flowrider (and even Rock Wall, but not ice skating, weird) and they asked to see a letter, which I had, BUT it wasn't a 'legal' letter. It was only a typed letter signed by both of my parents saying my gram was in charge for care and medical treatment for the week. They wanted a legal letter, but let it slide.

Point being, definitly do a legal letter from his parents. It will be helpful.

Someone else will be able to answer the passport question.

You definitely need a passport for him. Better get on that asap. There is a form you need to download is a travel parental consent form that has to be notarized. We travel with minors a lot and some of them have not been ours, just recently on the Voyager. We never had a problem. (knock on wood)

He doesn't NEED a passport until June as long as your cruise starts and ends in the USA. If something would happen and you had to fly home out of the USA you would need it then, but just to cruise he won't need it.

Make sure you bring a notarized letter from the parents giving permission to travel, seek medical care and also permission for the rock wall, ice skating and whatever else the ship offers for his age group. As stated in our cruise documents we received last week the note must state each individual activity separately. They can't just give a general permission for any onboard activity. I don't know how strict they are on this, but since it is in the cruise docs I would do it just to make sure.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it will work now it was kinda short planning but we are still thinking about it and if we don't do it now probably will soon any ways.

He'll be 16 very soon after the cruise and after you are 16 you need a passport no matter what right?

Good idea to include permission for all activities onboard I wouldn't have thought of that.

Since he is about to turn 16 - my advice would be to wait to get the passport until after his birthday. Then his passport will be good for 10 years. If he gets it at 15 it's only good for 5 (I think) and I'm not sure that it would be good after he turned 16.

But -- no -- he does not NEED a passport even after he turns 16 -- it is always better to have one, but it still isn't required -- if you are cruising to/from USA (you mentioned Mariner and that would be LA to LA). The requirements are changing soon -- but, haven't yet.

A passport issues at 15 is good for 5 years - it is still valid after the 16th birthday. If you wait until 16 the passport is good for 10 years. The child's passport (age 15 and under) is 85$ ($60 for the passport and $25 execution fee). The adult is $100 ($75 for the passport and $25 for the execution fee).

I also think (but am not 100% certain) that both parents do not need to be present for a child aged 16 or 17. Under 16 both parents (and the child) must be present or a notarized form presented for the passport application to be accepted (except for sole legal custody or deceased parent).

You definitely need a passport for him. Better get on that asap. There is a form you need to download is a travel parental consent form that has to be notarized. We travel with minors a lot and some of them have not been ours, just recently on the Voyager. We never had a problem. (knock on wood)

He doesn't NEED a passport until June as long as your cruise starts and ends in the USA. If something would happen and you had to fly home out of the USA you would need it then, but just to cruise he won't need it.

Make sure you bring a notarized letter from the parents giving permission to travel, seek medical care and also permission for the rock wall, ice skating and whatever else the ship offers for his age group. As stated in our cruise documents we received last week the note must state each individual activity separately. They can't just give a general permission for any onboard activity. I don't know how strict they are on this, but since it is in the cruise docs I would do it just to make sure.

You do not need a passport now or after June, to travel on a closed loop cruise, from the US to the Caribbean.

A closed loop cruise is one that departs and arrives back at the same US port.

While a passport is not needed, is is still advisable in case you have to fly or drive back to the US.

From a legal person.

RCCL has a form on their website to be signed so he can board with you. You'll want a similar note from parents (called a Power of Attorney) granting you the Power to seek any medical care and authorize any immediate medical treatment for him from [date to date] and in their absence to grant any necessary permissions that would be required to participate in activities on board the [name of ship], including, but not limited to the Flowrider, and any shore excursions booked through RCCL.

If your going (and returning before June 1), then his original or certified copy of his birth certificate AND a govt issued ID (state issued driving permit or ID) will be required

June 1 (anyone) regardless of age, needs a passport card or book, even if it is closed loop, just in case you have to reenter the US without the ship due to medical evacuation, criminal offenses, missed the boat, etc. Card is good for travel to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda.

We're bringing our daughter's best friend on the Mariner next we've so we've looked into it extensively..

He will need a state issued ID and an OFFICIAL birth certificate with a stamp or raised seal issued by the state in which he was born. Copies (not certified) and hospital BC's are not acceptable. The birth certificate will need to name his parents so that you can cross reference the BC to the NOTARIZED letter of permission from both his parents.

Here is the official wording from the RCCL website:

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda.

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration

Services.

Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended.

In the absence of a Passport, U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License (when available - this secure drivers license will denote identity and citizenship) or any other Department of Home Land Security approved Identification / Citizenship document(s), a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card including photo, name and date of birth issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 16 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority.

About a letter of permission:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Archived