Questions about Dry Dock for the Golden

Gram's Cruisin

Just booked the Golden for Coastal cruise in September. Does anyone know if the Golden is scheduled for drydock and if so are they adding the International Cafe' date=' Piazza, etc. that are on some of the other ships. Thanks.[/quote']

As each of the Grand ships go into drydock they are to recieve the features that you mention just as the CB did last month.....From what I see though, it doesnt all get done while the ship is in drydock and takes a few weeks longer after she sails to complete.....Hopefully completed by the time u sail in September...:D

Yippee! We're on her in September, to Alaska and to know that she will be refurbished (when I loved her just the way she was), is excellent news.

She can only get more and more better!! ;) Not good sentence structure (for all you teachers out there) but, it's the way I feel!

There was a good article on the Golden refurbishment a few days ago on here. The company that will be doing it is an expert at getting things done very quickly as opposed to the one that botched the CB refurbishment in the Bahamas. The Golden will be in Vancouver for the upgrade.

I had also read that the cabin flat screen tv installations had already begun so that is a good sign. They expect to have everything up and running before she comes out of drydock. I think Princess got burned with the CB fiasco.

Tentative schedule for the Golden's refit is April 16 thru May 4. Work to be done at Victoria, BC Here is a website for the company doing the work. http://www.mivan.com/news/?id=111 Also, here is a News Release from Princess that outlines what was done to the CB. Golden will get the same make over. http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na996

49er

There was a good article on the Golden refurbishment a few days ago on here. The company that will be doing it is an expert at getting things done very quickly as opposed to the one that botched the CB refurbishment in the Bahamas. The Golden will be in Vancouver for the upgrade.

I had also read that the cabin flat screen tv installations had already begun so that is a good sign. They expect to have everything up and running before she comes out of drydock. I think Princess got burned with the CB fiasco.

If you want to get technical, all the drydocks have been botched one way or the other especialy the Star. :(

Since the Star refit didn't go quite as planned, I guess Princess opted for Victoria. Haven't really got a definitive answer as to why the switch was made. There was also an article about the Golden going to BC in Seatrade.

49er

From the Mivan news release:

The Golden will be the fifth Princess vessel to be outfitted by Mivan in the past six months. Mivan completed work onboard the Star, in autumn 2008 in San Francisco; and on the Crown and Grand in December. The latter was possibly the most impressive display of quick and innovative outfitting expertise. The contract was completed in Freeport in Grand Bahama Shipyard in one week for a scope that can take up to three weeks. Mivan’s project team delivered the tight schedule on time in only seven days – an impressive result. Scope included beverage areas, bus boy and soup stations.

To answer the OP questions, I was on the Star the 2nd cruise after drydock and they put in the International Cafe, Vines and Crown Grill. they were supposed to put in suites that have just a window but were never able to do that. The International Cafe is very nice. You will enjoy it. I will be on the Golden on the 3rd cruise after drydock on May 16. They are supposed to do a 4 day r/t out of Seattle to ketchikan and back, then one week r/t out of Seattle to alaska and then mine. Hope everything will be o.k.

Marilyn

To answer the OP questions, I was on the Star the 2nd cruise after drydock and they put in the International Cafe, Vines and Crown Grill. they were supposed to put in suites that have just a window but were never able to do that. The International Cafe is very nice. You will enjoy it. I will be on the Golden on the 3rd cruise after drydock on May 16. They are supposed to do a 4 day r/t out of Seattle to ketchikan and back, then one week r/t out of Seattle to alaska and then mine. Hope everything will be o.k.

Marilyn

Marilyn, have a wonderful cruise and let us know how the ship looks and what we all should look for. :)

Marilyn, have a wonderful cruise and let us know how the ship looks and what we all should look for. :)

Well I will certainly try. I know I loved the International Cafe on the Star. Good stuff there. Most of it freebies. We will also be on her again to hawaii in Oct. so after those two cruises I think I will probably know the Golden well.:D

Marilyn

Hey Marilyn

I am on the May 9th cruise on the Golden just before yours, so watch for my posts. I will let everyone know how things are going.

Tony, that would be great. Forgot to add in regards to the Star dry-dock, they also added MUTS and the Sanctuary.

Marilyn

The company that will be doing it is an expert at getting things done very quickly as opposed to the one that botched the CB refurbishment in the Bahamas.

Hate to tell ya, but the same company that did the CB refurb is doing the Golden. I have a friend that works for their UK office and is on the CB right now. He is getting ready to head to the Golden after this. The CB should be 100% done in about a week or two. Refurb wasn't esentially botched either, it Princess rushing an extensive dry dock to get back on it's cruising schedule from what my friends told me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived