Golf cart or scooter rental in Costa Maya?

tampafish

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I was able to find an operator that would let me reserve one via e-mail. The $75/day includes access to a hotel beach and some water equipment (not bad!)

Now I need to find maps so we don't get lost and miss our boat.

Thanks! I was able to find an operator that would let me reserve one via e-mail. The $75/day includes access to a hotel beach and some water equipment (not bad!)

BTW, there's not much to miss. You pretty much either go south or north of the cruise terminal.

We rented a golf cart last year, but didn't get the beach access. Can you share? A private message would be fine if there's a problem posting. Many thanks!

Edited by robomom

I found a place to rent golf carts from on Trip Advisor. When I e-mailed about the carts they said that it was $75 a day US and that included a pass to a resort that had a beach and some kayaks to use. They sent a picture. I'll have to look at my work e-mail and come back and post details. It didn't look really upscale, but I didn't expect that in Costa Maya.

I really want to see the fishing village, get a bite to eat and take some good pictures.

• 1 month later...

I found the site for the golf cart rentals @ Costa Maya Tours. Does anyone know if golf carts electric or gas and use a key? I don't want anyone running off with our golf cart and getting stranded at the bar. We are going in June. I also thought that you would have beach access too if you booked through the tour company.

I think they were gas, not sure about the key, but I would think so. There were several sitting around town. If someone took one I don't know where they would take it. The town is not that big (two streets about 1/2 mile long) and it's about 2 hours to the next town by car.

Does anyone think it is worth getting a golf cart vs. cab or do you think going on ATV you would see more of Costa Maya? This is one port I have not been to and does not seem to have as much to do as Belize. We plan to do Mr. Santos in Cozumel all day I do not think my sister and I could convince our 13 year old sons to do the beach for 2 days. We have planned to do Xunantunich Mayan Ruins in Belize.

We rented the golf carts from the guys at the pier with the red carts and they had keys. I enjoyed driving the cart very much. It is scary on the highway. You have to be aware of larger vehicles and move over to let them pass. At least that's what I did.

When we wanted to stop I just parked the cart, took our beach bag and had the key with us. No one messed with our cart. They treasure the tourist dollar here and wouldn't want a bad reputation.

We cruised the town, went by the school, walked the beach area and visited Tequila Beach Club for cold drinks and some beach time. We just walked in, used the bathroom, bought drinks and hung out on the beach. No one bothered us and asked for any money to use the beach.

We also drove around the streets near the pier to see the newly built vacation homes dreaming about the beach life. Manana!

• 1 month later...

Golf carts are the way to go we have been there before and done this. We rented a cart outside the port area and went to the village and the beach and small bars are all right there we needed no resort passes. The carts rent out fast and public transportation is long and slow waits.

Good luck in getting a cart reserved. We have ours. The carts are gas and you do get a key.

Donny & Debbie

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the one that started this thread and I have to say that after renting a golf cart - it's not worth it. If you are just going to the beach and bars then take a cab. If you want to see more of the coast, it all looks pretty much the same. There are some nice stops for photography up the coast, but if I visited again I'd get a cab and find a nice shady spot on the beach with a reasonably priced restaurant to serve me.

Also, watch the conversion rate on the beach. This is one place it might be worth bringing pesos to save some money.

• 1 month later...

Worth every penny IMO.

Was in costa maya 3 years ago and rented a cart with my girlfriend. We found a fantastic place just south of majahual. we met a couple from the states who have lived there for 20 years. Spent nearly the whole day with them. One of the best vacation experiences ive even had. And I wouldnt have had it without the golf cart.

Renting a cart gives you the flexeability to see more than just a crowded boardwalk. Lots to see South of Mahahual and neat beach resorts with no crowds, vendors, etc. You are limited to the distance, but go as far South as you can, and work your way back. Lots of resorts, restaurants, and the real feel of what Mahahual was like before Hurricane Dean. Even if a couple share at $ 75 dollars, it is still much cheaper than any ships excursions, and the food and drink are cheaper, its actually a better deal than taking a taxi into town after you pay for the inflated rates. If you go into town, ask for the menu's in peso's and pay with peso's. They still use the 10 to one exchange rate and its been around 13 to one or better for the past 6 months. You are actually paying around 20% more. I find that town is a rip off, but easy for those who don't care.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would drop a line to say we rented a cart in early Dec - only ship in port - we were going to take the bus to town however negotiated with someone on the pier and ended up renting a cart for the day for $60. We had 3 adults and two young teens on the cart. It was great - however as we drove into town, we did pull over frequently for buses etc, and then the roof of the cart blew off...we just put it on and then held it the rest of the trip.. drove around through town and back and stopped wherever we felt like it.. ended up parking it and walking through town.. for the more adventurous its a great thing to do - gives you the flexibility to come and go as you like. Dont forget to stop at the Lighthouse on the way to town.. great people and swing seats at the bar. lots of fun

• 9 months later...

which operator did you use to get the golf cart with the beach pass? Neither of the two I have found offer the beach pass or do you need a beach pass? Leaving in a few days; tx for any information you can provide.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My sister and I are considering using Costa Maya as a beach -- do our own thing stop. The golf cart rental sounds the way to go but I'm wondering if there is a beach within "golf cart range" and what else would there be to do? Is this a dangerous place to venture off on our own ... obviously, I know nothing about Costa Maya. Thanks so much for any info!

My sister and I are considering using Costa Maya as a beach -- do our own thing stop. The golf cart rental sounds the way to go but I'm wondering if there is a beach within "golf cart range" and what else would there be to do? Is this a dangerous place to venture off on our own ... obviously, I know nothing about Costa Maya. Thanks so much for any info!

If you're looking to just go to the beach then grab a cab, it's less than $10 round trip a lot cheaper than a golf cart. There is really only one road and it's a very small town. I haven't heard or read about anyone having problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...