What happens during "Sailaway"?

jbroons

Notice all that paper going over board on the love boat.well forget about that.we found out that some people bring bubble water to let go off their balcony.its fun and doesnt hurt the fish.and yes carnival has a bad habit of calling a 330 muster drill.so you always wait for those who choose to show up late and they will sail at 4.there is alot more to come though when you sail from other ports.candles too are a no no.we are going to try these battery powered ones for the next cruise.

On some cruises they had the nerve to sail away while we were at the muster drill. :mad: But on many other cruises we stood along the railing looking at huge houses built along the waterway, people in cars waving and flashing their lights at us while we waved back, restaurants full of outdoor diners waving and cheering, jet skis riding along side until the Coast Guard chased them away, a small fishing boat holding up a HUGE fish they had caught that day. Bring your camera, grab a drink and stroll around the upper decks taking it all in.

A co-worker is on the Freedom this week, I'll ask her next Monday what she did/saw as they sailed away. It's usually a lot of fun and a great intro to the start of your cruise! :D

Ms B

Thanks Ms B...that's more what I pictured!

Notice all that paper going over board on the love boat.well forget about that.we found out that some people bring bubble water to let go off their balcony.its fun and doesnt hurt the fish.and yes carnival has a bad habit of calling a 330 muster drill.so you always wait for those who choose to show up late and they will sail at 4.there is alot more to come though when you sail from other ports.candles too are a no no.we are going to try these battery powered ones for the next cruise.
Be careful with the bubbles. Someone said some old lady fell because of them. I don't buy it, figured it was something that was spilled on the deck. And yes, the bubbles can hurt the fish. But, just like with lab rats, you'd need to put a whole lot of it into the ocean. Like when they feed a lab rat 25 pounds of saccharine per day in order to cause the cancer.

To answer the OP's question, several people have mentioned the normal sailaway events which is mostly what you make of it, and not necessarily drink flowing if you don't want it to be. But yes, all the "poor" people stuck on land not being able to cruise with us are very nice and waving shouting etc. Boats and fisherman etc as well.

In the old days, meaning 80's and up to the mid 90's, on Carnival it was more festive with confetti thrown over board, loud and fun deck music being played and even more than that the music was piped into the ship's PA system in the same way the muster drill is (you heard it IN your cabins) while sailing away. The ship never sailed away until well after the muster drill to allow you to be ready for the ship-wide celebration. This was mostly a lot of fun and I did thoroughly enjoy it.

It is a combination of fish safety, local noise pollution, and intrusion on other guests' enjoyment (as you heard that for some people the sailaway is not bigger than drinks flowing or visiting the bar and meeting people and just in general there are many ways you can choose to sailaway, no problem) that led to the casual doing away of such practices in the mid 1990's.

I could see why, I mean, as an example, some people want to take naps during sail away in their cabin so blasting "party-started" or "hot hot hot" sailaway music inside the cabins is not for everyone and I agree should not be done. It's simply a matter of trying to accommodate most guests at once. If you want the more party feel, head to midship Lido deck during sailaway and you can get the festive music. Of course, lol ;) you still can't throw anything overboard as per maritime laws since then. So, I hope you can see that the "Love Boat" tv show style actually was accurate for its day, but things change over time.

Anyways, have fun whatever you do! :cool:

If you are young, you could be doing the "horizontal hula" as others have suggested. Personally, I'm old and stuff don't work no more

I'm old too, guess I'm lucky... but you have my condolences. :rolleyes:

On your next sail to Mexico, pick up some little blue pills (I think they are blue, never actually seen one, but I recall people saying they are blue)... :cool:

Basically, there's an electricity that starts spreading through the ship. People picture taking with landmarks in the background, but mostly it's a time to start up some chatter with your fellow sailors slowly pulling down the walls and inhibitions as you slip into vacation mode, in some sort of dream state.

Confetti can't do that, and I have never seen any except on the Disney sailaways, where there's a full fledge party with the chanracters going on, and a final shot of confetti off the stage at the end. Pool is covered and also becomes a dance floor.

I always make sure I'm topside just to be a part of that sailaway experience.

And no, Led Zeppelin never plays live at sailaway, although a little D'yer Mak'er (Jamaica) would fit in perfectly. ;)

On some cruises they had the nerve to sail away while we were at the muster drill. :mad: But on many other cruises we stood along the railing looking at huge houses built along the waterway, people in cars waving and flashing their lights at us while we waved back, restaurants full of outdoor diners waving and cheering, jet skis riding along side until the Coast Guard chased them away, a small fishing boat holding up a HUGE fish they had caught that day. Bring your camera, grab a drink and stroll around the upper decks taking it all in.

A co-worker is on the Freedom this week, I'll ask her next Monday what she did/saw as they sailed away. It's usually a lot of fun and a great intro to the start of your cruise! :D

Ms B

Your description of sailaway brought tears to me eyes.. this was a perfect description. I am TOO excited to be leaving in a couple weeks for my cruise!!!

To answer the OP's question, several people have mentioned the normal sailaway events which is mostly what you make of it, and not necessarily drink flowing if you don't want it to be. But yes, all the "poor" people stuck on land not being able to cruise with us are very nice and waving shouting etc. Boats and fisherman etc as well.

In the old days, meaning 80's and up to the mid 90's, on Carnival it was more festive with confetti thrown over board, loud and fun deck music being played and even more than that the music was piped into the ship's PA system in the same way the muster drill is (you heard it IN your cabins) while sailing away. The ship never sailed away until well after the muster drill to allow you to be ready for the ship-wide celebration. This was mostly a lot of fun and I did thoroughly enjoy it.

It is a combination of fish safety, local noise pollution, and intrusion on other guests' enjoyment (as you heard that for some people the sailaway is not bigger than drinks flowing or visiting the bar and meeting people and just in general there are many ways you can choose to sailaway, no problem) that led to the casual doing away of such practices in the mid 1990's.

I could see why, I mean, as an example, some people want to take naps during sail away in their cabin so blasting "party-started" or "hot hot hot" sailaway music inside the cabins is not for everyone and I agree should not be done. It's simply a matter of trying to accommodate most guests at once. If you want the more party feel, head to midship Lido deck during sailaway and you can get the festive music. Of course, lol ;) you still can't throw anything overboard as per maritime laws since then. So, I hope you can see that the "Love Boat" tv show style actually was accurate for its day, but things change over time.

Anyways, have fun whatever you do! :cool:

Thanks Frank...a lot of very good history & information there!!

Basically, there's an electricity that starts spreading through the ship. People picture taking with landmarks in the background, but mostly it's a time to start up some chatter with your fellow sailors slowly pulling down the walls and inhibitions as you slip into vacation mode, in some sort of dream state.

Confetti can't do that, and I have never seen any except on the Disney sailaways, where there's a full fledge party with the chanracters going on, and a final shot of confetti off the stage at the end. Pool is covered and also becomes a dance floor.

I always make sure I'm topside just to be a part of that sailaway experience.

And no, Led Zeppelin never plays live at sailaway, although a little D'yer Mak'er (Jamaica) would fit in perfectly. ;)

MrPete...thank you!! I love Zep but you need to educate me. What does D'yer Mak'er have to do with Jamaica?? One of our ports on our cruise is Ocho Rios so this information may come in handy!!

I'm old too, guess I'm lucky... but you have my condolences. :rolleyes:

On your next sail to Mexico, pick up some little blue pills (I think they are blue, never actually seen one, but I recall people saying they are blue)... :cool:

One of the reasons to sail to Mexico!! Hubby does not need them but uses them for "special" times!!:cool::D

Be careful with the bubbles. Someone said some old lady fell because of them. I don't buy it, figured it was something that was spilled on the deck. And yes, the bubbles can hurt the fish. But, just like with lab rats, you'd need to put a whole lot of it into the ocean. Like when they feed a lab rat 25 pounds of saccharine per day in order to cause the cancer.

Oh..okay. Can we bring on a crate of doves to release at sail away?

• 4 weeks later...

We have always been on our balcony for sailaway or the forward deck but next cruise I think I want to be on the lido to see what kind of party action is going on. Course, last 2 cruises we sailed away in the rain so there won't be much going on at the lido deck if that is the case.

Archived