People that are not gay at FOD

mailbroad

How do you feel about people that are not gay at FOD? My husband and I went on a cruise with 2 men friends and joined them for the FOD meetings. It was nice to meet other passengers and hang out with them and participate in excursions and the like.

We are cruising soon and were wondering if it would appear odd to show up for the meetings. We consider ourselves friends of friends of Dorothy!

It would be a nice way to meet people.

I enjoy meeting other gay people, for pretty obvious reasons, but I also enjoy meeting straight people who have no hang ups! Most of our friends are straight. Actually, my partner and I had to make an effort over the past years to connect with more gay people... honest! So we took dance lessons and boy, did that open up the group! Mostly lesbians, but hey, they're nice people too :p.

Kidding aside, I would be most happy to see you at a FOD meeting. Being gay does not mean living in a closed, exclusive club, because it certainly is not that. After people meet and exchange names and such, what do they do? They talk, just about anything and everything. So whether or not you are gay, it does not matter. Good conversation and good times are fun and rewarding with all kinds of people.

In closing, let me just say that the people with whom we had a great time on our last cruise were all straight. We met them through arrangements we made on CC.com for shore excursions. Our criteria to like people is simple: Are they nice and do we connect? Staight or gay does not matter.

So join in, have a drink (or two) and enjoy yourself. Your open personality will show and it will be just fine.

I discovered recently the name Topolobampo. I laughed so hard when I read your signature where it says : I just love saying Topolobampo! So do I!

I've read your posts recently about HAL. I am hoping my partner and I have a great cruise in April on HAL Westerdam. We are looking forward to it.

Now, who is this great CD you have mentioned before? I'll try to remember and see if we get him.

Thank you! I was pretty sure that it would be fine but I wanted to double check!

I actually could dress like Dorothy if we are talking about the Dot from the Wizard of Oz... I know someone that has a dress like that!:) Wouldn't that be fun to wear to the first meeting!?

How do you feel about people that are not gay at FOD? My husband and I went on a cruise with 2 men friends and joined them for the FOD meetings. It was nice to meet other passengers and hang out with them and participate in excursions and the like.

We are cruising soon and were wondering if it would appear odd to show up for the meetings. We consider ourselves friends of friends of Dorothy!

It would be a nice way to meet people.

Hiya-

I have every confidence you would be welcome. It is a friendly bunch type of thing. Friends of friends (of friends?) of Dotty are all welcome. (Paritcularly if you are a bit dotty. haha)

Count me in, I wouldn't mind seeing straight people at an FOD meeting at all! As long as they know what it is...I've seen some people get confused. ;)

It is indeed Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, it's actually a Judy Garland reference since many gay guys seem to like Judy Garland. :)

Allow me to digress a bit, what are the Old Town Kayak trips in your sig? I used to be an avid kayaker, have given it up now and sold my boats, but if there's a kayaking tour group I'd love to know about it! When I hear "Old Town" I mostly think of canoes but I think they make kayaks too!

"It's for FRIENDS of Dorothy.

You don't have to BE (or even dress like) Dorothy to attend"

I loved that comment too; and you know...If I went to an FOD and someone showed up in the a little blue, gingham dress it would MAKE MY CRUISE :)))))

I discovered recently the name Topolobampo. I laughed so hard when I read your signature where it says : I just love saying Topolobampo! So do I!

I've read your posts recently about HAL. I am hoping my partner and I have a great cruise in April on HAL Westerdam. We are looking forward to it.

Now, who is this great CD you have mentioned before? I'll try to remember and see if we get him.

I'm so looking forward to our stop there to see how the locals pronounce it :D.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Westerdam!

The fantastic CD is Adam Dyer. I think he came to HAL from Princess. Be warned though... his Trivia questions are the most difficult we've run into. ;)

...I actually could dress like Dorothy if we are talking about the Dot from the Wizard of Oz... I know someone that has a dress like that!:) Wouldn't that be fun to wear to the first meeting!?

That would be so fun! I wonder if you could bring ToTo as a 'service animal' to complete the outfit? Surely they'd make an exception! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Mike and I are just back home :( - literally off the ship today. We had a great time and met some really warm and genuine people, some of whom are members of Cruise Critic. We found that FODs are very well accomodated however as the first FODs (5.30pm on day of embarkation) is basically at the tail end of the Sail-Away party, we were sequestered into the Atrium Bar (we perfectly understand why), and thereafter kept indoors. We unofficially got the group outside (Sea View Bar) on the last evening so we could at least enjoy the sun for one last time, but think that it would have been nice if the cruise staff could have let us "out" officially earlier on in the cruise. Just mentioning that in case you might want to take the matter up with the powers that be.

We were actually joined by a delightful straight couple for most of the get-togethers and their presence enhanced our enjoyment, so we have to say that it is just one more sign of acceptance.

We found that FODs are very well accomodated however as the first FODs (5.30pm on day of embarkation) is basically at the tail end of the Sail-Away party, we were sequestered into the Atrium Bar (we perfectly understand why), and thereafter kept indoors.

What would be the reason for being sequestered (and indoors)? :confused:

What would be the reason for being sequestered (and indoors)? :confused:

Let's just say, some members of our community are rather more "in-your-face" than others, and this being a mixed cruise rather than specifically all GLBT I reckon they wanted to make sure that "we" weren't too loud 'n' proud in front of anyone who might be offended. And sad to say but it is true, there are still some people who are anti-GLBT, perhaps you might have noticed :(

The "indoors" bit being because there are only two outdoor bars (Lido (read: family & kiddies nearby) and Sea View (already in use for the Sail Away)). When we were on Caribbean Princess, we had the Calypso Bar (I believe it was) virtually to ourselves.

(Michael, of thetwomichaels)

Let's just say, some members of our community are rather more "in-your-face" than others, and this being a mixed cruise rather than specifically all GLBT I reckon they wanted to make sure that "we" weren't too loud 'n' proud in front of anyone who might be offended. And sad to say but it is true, there are still some people who are anti-GLBT, perhaps you might have noticed :(

The "indoors" bit being because there are only two outdoor bars (Lido (read: family & kiddies nearby) and Sea View (already in use for the Sail Away)). When we were on Caribbean Princess, we had the Calypso Bar (I believe it was) virtually to ourselves.

(Michael, of thetwomichaels)

OK, that helps :)

Also, not all GLBTs are very comfortable being out in the open. Regretable, in both cases.

The gay community doesn't just include those persons who happen to be attracted to the same sex. That's the great thing about "community", if you feel like a part of it then you probably are.

So don't feel like an add-on or an interloper. You ARE a Friend of Dorothy. This is as much your party as mine.

I agree with the consensus -- a friend is a friend. :o Honestly, my FOD experience was terrible on RCCL Freedom in February. The notice was tiny and hidden, and the location they picked was the conference area -- which was locked. So we hung out in a hallway until one other couple showed up. I would have been delighted if a straight couple had found their way to us to at least make it a little more interesting! This time, if there's not a good notice and location for FOD I'm marching right up to the cruise director and demanding better treatment. FODs, gay and straight, deserve better treatment!

Archived