Troubles in Guadeloupe

Aplmac

For what it's worth

Just received this via email from a usually reliable source

(cut and paste..)

Britons are among thousands of tourists fleeing Guadeloupe after full scale urban warfare erupted on the French Caribbean island.

Trouble broke out on the island earlier last month after protesters began rioting over high prices and low wages.

But the situation escalated this week after protesters began turning on rich white families as they demanded an end to colonial control of the economy.

The troubles come at the height of the holiday season, with thousands of mainly British, French and American tourists on the paradise tropical island.

Protesters were now targeting 'all white people', with the media in mainland France describing the situation as virtual civil war'.

Guadeloupe is a French overseas department ruled directly from Paris, and authorities in France have sent 300 extra riot police to the island in a bid to quell the violence.

Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters are roaming the streets of the capital Point-a-Pitre, looting shops and restaurants, burning cars and vandalising public buildings.

Holiday resorts along the coast have hired extra security to protect tourists, while the airport is jammed with visitors now trying to get out of the country.

Union leader Jacques Bino was the first man to die in the violence when he was caught in crossfire on Tuesday while driving a car near a roadblock manned by armed youths who had opened fire at police.

Six members of the security forces were injured during shoot-outs with the armed youths as they tried to help emergency teams who were trying to save Mr Bino's life.

Dozens more police and demonstrators have also been hurt in frequent clashes on the capital's streets - which one newspaper describing it as looking like a battlefield'.

Most shops, banks, schools and government offices are now shut in Guadeloupe and the neighbouring French tourist island of Martinique - where protests are also mounting.

I really hate on what's occuring in Guadeloupe. I was there last November and out of all the islands that I visit on my cruises, Guadeloupe was the one that stand out as a wonderful place. I have such warm memories of cutting and eating sugar cane, visiting small out of the way beaches,having lunch at a local home.

I was treated with kindness and warmth by the people that I met. I know alot of people on these board really have less than positive things to say about Guadeloupe,but I enjoyed it.

I hate that they are targeting tourists and hope that things return back to normal

I agree, Tamara.

I myself have visited Guadeloupe (1966 and 1978) staying for a week, each time.

It's a BIG double-island for those of you who know it

with the two wings of the butterfly(shape) quite different from each other

Basse Terre being tall and volcanic, the Grande Terre much flatter with terraced corraline geology.

After the politics has worn itself out, Guadeloupe will return to normal

no doubt with the biggest lasting damage being done to its delicate Tourism image

but that's how things go in these islands.

You and I will return to enjoy again, some day :)

Archived