What should we expect?

paulista1950

I have probably missed this answer elsewhere, but do most cruisers opt out of the "cruise line air" with oceania?

I think it may depend on where you are flying to/from ...sometimes the cruise air is a better deal.

Some people have FF points they can use

We check what the price/schedule will be to book our own compared to O air credit.

We have driven the last couple of cruises so we did take the credit.

Lyn

I have probably missed this answer elsewhere, but do most cruisers opt out of the "cruise line air" with oceania?

I don't think it's possible for any of us to say what "most" people do...I can only speak for myself...

I take the air credit plus the air taxes and fees and add them together to come out with the real cruise air cost. I then use internet sources to price the air on my own, keeping in mind that prices may fluctuate over time...also looking for the total ticket cost.

Then I compare the two...but also keeping in mind that the independent air I might find likely requires I buy the nonrefundable ticket NOW. If the two numbers are relatively close, I'll keep the cruise line air...If I save a signifiant amount on my own, I'll waive the cruise line air--but only after I have secured the ticket.

Last Oceania cruise, in 2006, I think the total cruise air cost was around $1400 pp and we paid an additional $200 pp in deviation fees and costs to get the flights and dates we wanted...So, our total cost was around $1600 pp through Oceania...When I investigated flights on my own, I found one set of flights that would have cost us around $1400 pp, but the itinerary had too many changes and long waits and inconvenient times...The flights Oceania got us were better (I only gave them the dates and let them find the flights--and they got us some convenient times with only one change of planes in each direction--LAX to Miami, Miami to Istanbul and Venice to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to LAX)...The next best airfares I could find were all within about $50 pp of what Oceania had--including the deviation costs, so I stuck with Oceania...and didn't have to pay the cost until final payment day...

This upcoming cruise, it was a no-brainer...I have sufficient frequent flier miles on AA to cover the tickets, so I just cashed those in and waived the Oceania air...

In our case we chose to take the air credit. Here's how it broke down for us.

Our cruise with air and all taxes was $3845 pp, it was going to cost us $350 pp to get to one of the gateway cities to take advantage of the included flight. This would have been $4195 pp.

The cruise price including all taxes without air was $2739. I booked a flight direct from our home town with only one stop coming and going for $1260 pp making our total $3999 pp. This is a saving of $400 for the two of us. This doesn't take into account that we are going in a day early before the cruise and staying an extra day afterwards. I'm not sure what the deviation fee is on Oceania but it's probably not less than $75. So at the least our savings is over $500. We also have great times on our flights.

After figuring the numbers it was a no brainer for us to take the flight credit and book our own flights.

Everyone has to look at it from their own set of circumstances. If you lived in one of the gateway cities it might be cheaper to take the included air.

We have taken the included air twice, both times with deviations. In one case there was no upcharge, just the $75 pp administrative fee. In the other case, there was a $225 pp upcharge for the deviation. Both times, the flights offered to us were the best available combinations -- fewest stops, least time in the air, best time of arrival for us.

Both cases involved flights to and from South America at one end or both ends of the cruises, and in both cases there was absolutely no way we could beat Oceania's deal, no matter if we made 4 stops on Podunk Airlines. thus, they were both no-brainers.

Next year, we will leave from Miami, just two hours from our house by car, and only have to fly back from Spain. Based on this year's prices, there are a number of convenient flights we can take and beat Oceania's price,because they are offering us a credit for two flights, and we only need to take one. So, next year, we will book our own.

Other cruise lines offer an air package, but it is an add-on to their cruise fare. I think that most people do not take that option, so the cruise line ends up booking few air packages. On the other hand, I think a significant number of people take Oceania's air package (remember, the majority of people sailing on ANY cruise are not CruiseCritic members and we don't know what they do -- but based on my ship-board conversations, I think the majority of them use Oceania's air package without a deviation). For this reason, I think that Oceania has a LOT more experience and MUCH better contacts within the industry and tends to get better deals on the air that other cruise lines. Or, perhaps the other cruise lines are using the air package as a profit center, while Oceania uses it as a booking incentive. All I know is that I have easily beaten the air prices on other cruise lines, but have had a hard time beating Oceania's deals.

The entire discussion goes out the window if you planto use air miles. No one can beat that deal.

LHT28 -- I am checking to see if we get the actual amount for flights and air taxes removed from our invoice if we book our own flights...we have vouchers from our trip last month for $200.00/each and i found a flight from detroit to LAX for $219.00????/ea.

on the airline we have the voucher for , so I think that ones a no brainer, and I bet flights back to Detroit from Miami will be much cheaper in March 2010 than presently. We got an excellent onboard ship credit pkg. (dble the posted amount) and with the prepaid gratuities, well...heck its only money, right..hahahaha...spend the kids inheritance....thanks everyone for your knowledge and assistance..is anyone else going on the Regatta Feb. 9 , 2010 from LA to Miami???

LHT28 -- I am checking to see if we get the actual amount for flights and air taxes removed from our invoice if we book our own flights.

.is anyone else going on the Regatta Feb. 9 , 2010 from LA to Miami???

You should be able to get them removed just ask your TA

You can check out the Roll call forum for others on your cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=423

you may have to start one ;)

We did the same cruise back in '07

The '10 one looks like some new ports were added

Enjoy

Lyn

LHT28 -- I am checking to see if we get the actual amount for flights and air taxes removed from our invoice if we book our own flights..

I emphasized the words "actual amounts" because I'm not certain what you meant. You will easily get the removal of the amount of air taxes and fees that Oceania added to your invoice, and also can easily get a credit for the amount of air fare that Oceania has determined. These may or may not have any direct relationship to the ACTUAL amount that you or Oceania would have ultimately paid.

thanks, I talked to the TA and he is going to remove the air fare and air taxes portion..was about $1200.00 for both of us for two flight segments..there and home...i got the first one with insurance using my travel voucher for $38.00/ea !!! I am sure we can get flights from Miami to Detroit next Feb. for better than the remaining $1150.00 we would have paid Oceania.

Archived