Family cruising with 19 and 16 year old boys

ddbArizona

My family and I are planning a cruise for July 2009. We have been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival in the past. We enjoyed both. We have always gone to the Caribbean in the past except for one year we went down the Pacific. We didn't like the weather at all on the Pacific side. It wasn't a very good trip.

We are thinking of doing a 4 day trip to the Bahamas. My wife and I are in our mid 40s and we have 19 and 16 year old sons. The biggest problem comes with the 19 year old. On most ships the teenage activities only go up to 17 and the drinking age is 21. So it seems like there is nothing for the 18-20 year old group. I know drinking isn't the only way to have fun but try to tell that to a college student:). By the way, he is a responsible drinker from what I can tell or atleast when he is with me.:rolleyes: I just think it might be a good way for him to meet young adults in his age group.

We are looking at the Norwegian Sky since 18 and up can drink beer and wine with a parent authorization. I would like to hear suggestions from people in a similar situation that have children in the same age groups, especially if you have been on the Norwegian Sky. I know this is the first summer for this ship in the Bahamas but I was wondering if anyone else with teenagers and young adults are planning this trip for the summer. The more kids in their age group, the more fun they will have. The more fun they have, the more fun mom and I have.

Any help on this idea or any other ideas for a great summer vacation would be appreciated.

I have gone on 3 family cruises and the members that were 16 and above found many friends to hang out with at the pool. There will be many older teens that don't want to particiapte in any kind of planned event. Believe me they find their own fun. I remember them meeting at Karoke was popular. It was riot to watch. This was on RCL. Drinking wasn't an issue for any of them.

What you might do is go to the roll call boards for the ship and date you are looking at and you willl get some idea of how many teens will be on board.

Don't worry so much. Your boys will be fine! They aren't going to sit in their room....they'll meet as many people as they want.

Have a great time!

We crusied last summer with our boys who were 16 and 20 at the time.

They both had a BLAST didnt want to get off the ship.

I like cruising Carnival with the kids because it seems like there

are alot of kids on Carnival. And alot more activities for kids (familys)

Our 20 year found a way to drink!! Also college age.

My two cents I love Carnival for family FUN!!!

OOOHH and we never saw them except at dinner!! :D

Ummm...last time I checked' date=' the LEGAL drinking age was 21. :confused:[/quote']

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, (Where you must be 21 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol of any kind) NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian on the same sailing once the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles out).

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, (Where you must be 21 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol of any kind) NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian on the same sailing once the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles out).

Thanks for clarifying!

My family and I are planning a cruise for July 2009. We have been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival in the past. We enjoyed both. We have always gone to the Caribbean in the past except for one year we went down the Pacific. We didn't like the weather at all on the Pacific side. It wasn't a very good trip.

We are thinking of doing a 4 day trip to the Bahamas. My wife and I are in our mid 40s and we have 19 and 16 year old sons. The biggest problem comes with the 19 year old. On most ships the teenage activities only go up to 17 and the drinking age is 21. So it seems like there is nothing for the 18-20 year old group. I know drinking isn't the only way to have fun but try to tell that to a college student:). By the way, he is a responsible drinker from what I can tell or atleast when he is with me.:rolleyes: I just think it might be a good way for him to meet young adults in his age group.

We are looking at the Norwegian Sky since 18 and up can drink beer and wine with a parent authorization. I would like to hear suggestions from people in a similar situation that have children in the same age groups, especially if you have been on the Norwegian Sky. I know this is the first summer for this ship in the Bahamas but I was wondering if anyone else with teenagers and young adults are planning this trip for the summer. The more kids in their age group, the more fun they will have. The more fun they have, the more fun mom and I have.

Any help on this idea or any other ideas for a great summer vacation would be appreciated.

sorry,we have a 17 and 20 year old and cruising to get a break from them and other things:D:eek::rolleyes:...just kidding...well,sort of....

In June, our family will be cruising with a 15 yr-old and 20-yr old. For the first time, they have their own cabin. This is their 8th cruise and they were never interested in the clubs or planned activities. They have always found fun and are very excited about their own cabin and being "off the leash" to find their own fun (yikes!). Luckily, they are good kids, experienced "cruisers" and there will be plenty of opportunities to meet new friends.

We cruised last June with a 15 yo and 2 18 yo. They had their own cabin and we never saw them. They did grace us with their presence at the dinner the first night of the cruise, after that we only saw them when we were headed in and they were headed out! :p They met plenty of folks and had plenty of fun.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived