Just wondering, if ships are not fully sold...?

cacj

I would say that what you describe never happens. Most ships sail full because in the weeks between final payment and sailing, the cruise line will do whatever it takes to get people to book (i.e., cut-rate promotions, OBC, upselling or upgrading already booked passengers to free up less expensive cabins that are easier to sell, etc.). Of course, not every ship achieves its goal of sailing full but I would say the vast majority come pretty close. In these cases, there may be empty cabins here and there but never a large enough block of rooms where they would cordon it off.

A ship isn't like a restaurant that only seats people in particular sections. If you want to book cabin X and it's not already taken, then you can have X (for the $$). Most people have a cabin assigned when the book. If someone cancels, they don't move someone already booked in another cabin to the one the people canceled.

The only places I've seen roped off on a ship were areas where the crew was painting or doing some other kind of work.

Hotels and restaurants rope off or close sections or floors to reduce staff requirements or save energy. Ships hire staff on long term (usually nine month) contracts, and it would be imposble for them to adjust that for a specific sailing. As far as energy savings, they are going to produce it anyway, so that advantage is not applicable either.

Al

If they don't fill the ship, do they close off sections during the sail...like in a hotel during slow season, they often will not have guest placed on certain floors or wings....do ships do similar things?

no, as cabins are filled all over the place, it is very different and rarely do ships sail less than 80% sold out, I say rarely, it can happen..

Different from hotels, with the exception of a few decks, there are all kinds of facilities on every deck, they couldn't very well close off sections.

\Nita

It never ceases to amaze me how the cruise lines manage to fill all those ships every week. With the current economy and more mega-ships coming on line, how long can it last?

It can last and last. I have been late booking cruises for 25 years, picking up the last minute bargains. These deeply discounted cruises also have a BIG travel industry market, with airline employees hot purchasers, called interline fares, of which I am one. My last example of this fare was on a 16 day RCI sailing, picked up the week before for $320 10-08. Ships sail full. :)

Wow, thanks for all your replies...you all are great! Even my little curious question gets such thoughtful and wide ranging answers!:)

Your question itself makes me curious though, and this is not intended to offend you in any way, as I see you are new to this. Are you under the impression that cabins are just assigned to people and so they fill them, like cabin 1 cabin 2 cabin 3 as people reserve? I ask because since most people, other than those that book a guarantee choose the cabin they want and these are everywhere on the ship then the idea of blocking off a deck or section etc. would mean moving people out of the cabins they selected and paid for.

I also ask because I would hate for you to think you just call and tell the agent I want an inside or an Ocean view or balcony or whatever and then just let them assign you something. You would be missing out by doing so, again unless you are booking a guarantee cabin, which is where you get any cabin they assign that is in the category you booked or higher.

Archived