HELP! Found Security tag on shorts when packing!!

I purchased (honestly) a pair of shorts at Goody's about a month ago and just took them out of bag to pack when I found the security tag still on them! I have the receipt but am scared the store will still think I stole them. What should I do? It's the round type tag that I think is magnetic but I'm not sure.

I have actually had this happen to me before. If it is just the magnetic kind then you should be able to pry it apart with a screw driver. That is what I had to do. If it is the kind with the ink inside you will have to go back to the store. I wouldn't worry as long as you have your receipt.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;23;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Rhapsody May 23rd 2004

I've had this happen to me before. Your best bet is to take the shorts AND the receipt back to the store and explain what happened. You might even catch a store clerk just as you are walking in!

Good luck.

If you still have the receipt there is no reason for them to think you stole them.

Has happened to me more than once.And be careful,some have some sort of ink in them,that if you try to remove it,will ruin the shorts.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=505103011

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

I was in Miami shopping after one of my bags was lost by Amtrak. I bought some things from Macy's and when I got back to the hotel, I found a tag still on one of the items. I brought it back with the reciept and they removed it. I was told if I had called, they would have sent someone to the hotel to remove it.

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

Monarch - Sometime soon

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

Monarch 3-29-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

You propbably have the silent tag, those messy ink ones. Please don't try to remove it or you'll have a ugly permanet ink stain on everything, once it starts to spray if you break the seal! Yuck. If you had the other kind it would have beeped when you left the store, unless it's a dud! Either way, take it back to the store, with your receipt and ask for it to be removed. At least you found it before you went on the cruise!

Happy cruising1

Sue icon_cool.gif

All dem bonz are connected: de party bone & de drinkin bone & de stayin out all night bone & the cruisin bone.

Our first cruise: May 10 2004, Enchantment of the Seas

This happened to me before, and this is how you remove those tags: Use the flattest-nosed wire cutters you can find. I have a pair of Stanley multi-use plier/wire stripper/wire cutter things, and it just came off.

Now, if you have a tag that says it's got ink in it, put the shorts in the freezer for a few hours, then cut the tag off.

Simple, if you don't want to go back to the store. And don't ask how I know these tricks. icon_biggrin.gif

Serenade of the Seas 5/30/04

Vision of the Seas 12/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/97

Majesty of the Seas 6/94

This also happened to me once. I bought baby items for a shower (the same night) and realized when I got home (out of town) that they security tag was still on I panicked and called the store. Guess what they told me to do, present the gift anyway and bring it back on my next trip to town. Can you imagine how embarassing that would be, go to a shower and have the tags on the item? Gosh, to even suggest something like that is crazy.

Anyway, when I brought the item back to have the tag removed, they reimbursed me my money and gave me the item for the inconvenience. That was a good deal.

The lady at the return counter, laughed when I told her that the Manager told me to present the gift anyway. Imagine, I would have been humiliated out and the talk of the town.....

You should have no problem getting the tag removed with the receipt.

Grand Princess - Sept 2002

Voyager - Sept 2003

Explorer countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;09;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until EOS with friends from the VOS

- Sept 2004

Blueice - was just going to say what you did. I was reimbursed for the cost of my item (like $6 or something) when it happened to me at a Sporting Goods store for the "inconvenience" of having to go back.

Had it happen once - I'd purchased jackets for my 3 boys. Bought an extra a size up for them to grow up into and hand down. 2 years later, when I took out the extra, it had one of those tags. Of course I no longer knew where the receipt was, and the store was out of business (although other members of that chain were still available, just further away). I did as people suggested and pried it off, but ripped the coat some in the process. It was kind of on the back shoulder area, so just put duct tape inside to patch the hole. Of course this wouldn't work on a adult's or more dressier outfit icon_rolleyes.gif! Kind of annoying they couldn't do it. I was at the same store in another mall a couple weeks ago (Children's Place) & noticed one of my items had a tag. Waited to see if they removed it. They didn't. I pointed it out after they handed me my bag back and they removed it, somewhat like I was hassling them! Be careful if you shop there I guess!

Days until Voyager of the Seas - 9/10/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;09;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat '88,

Fair Princess '90,

Norway '91,

Regal Princess '91,

Carnival Fantasy '93,

Regent Rainbow '95,

Big Red Boat '98,

Disney Wonder '00,

Grand Princess 11/16/03,

Voyager of the Seas 09/10/04

this happened to dh. he bought a new suit before the cruise and didn't find the tag left on the jacket until we were getting ready for dinner. He was too embarassed to ask the steward for something to remove it and had to pry/cut it off w/some type of clippers. Tore the lining a little but I was able to fix that.

then found the new tie he bought wasn't in the suit bag like he thought so he had to buy a new tie! (now I pack for him)

Mariner of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;06;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We bought my father-in-law a shirt as a birthday gift some time back and had it gift wrapped in the store in a mall. We left the store to do some more shopping and came back into the store on our way to the car and the alarm went off. They had left the tag on inside the wrapped package. It didn't go off when we left, but when we reentered the store. Anyway they had to unwrap the package, take the tag off and then rewrap the package.

Galaxy 6/03, Carnival Pride 7/02, Voyager of the Seas 7/01, Grandeur of the Seas 07/00, Enchantment of the Seas 06/99, Carnival Destiny 7/98, Grandeur of the Seas 7/97, Sensation 6/96, Imagination 8/95, Carnivale 7/90, Festivale 7/89, Seaward (Norweigan Sea) 7/88, Carnivale 9/86

<MARQUEE>Next up, the Mariner 6/04<MARQUEE>

I tried to pry the tag off and ripped the shirt. I had to bring it back to the store and have them replace it. I was not able to cut it or anything. icon_frown.gif

Judy

trwhalebm_e0.gif

Fascination 3/97- So. Carib.

Jubilee 8/98- Alaska

Fantasy 5/00- Bahamas

Dawn Princess 4/01- E. Carib.

Paradise 5/01- West Carib.

Spirit 4/02- Trans Pan Canal

Triumph 9/02-New Bruns/Halifax

Nordic Empress 5/4/03-Bermuda

Paradise 9/03-Exotic W. Carib.

Norwegian Sky 11/30 Deep

Southern Carib.

Norwegian Sky 12/7 Exotic

Southern Carib.

Conquest 1/04 Conquestador's

Mariner of the Seas 9/04 (Royal Hounds)

Carnival Miracle 2/05

Carnival Valor 10/05

I have the best story! icon_biggrin.gif

I ripped a new shirtwaist dress trying to get one off. After I discovered the tag had been left on, I thought it would be a cinch to get off so I didn't take it back to the store. icon_rolleyes.gif

I loved the dress, but it could not be worn, torn and I was too embarrassed to return it to the store after I ripped it, so what did I do? I went to the store and bought another dress just like it except that it was a size bigger(all they had). Made sure they removed the tag this time. Well the dress was really too big, so I took the skirt part off of the ripped dress and added the skirt part of the newer dress. What a pain!

I always make sure those little tags are off before I leave a store now. I also have a fear of those things beeping.

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

All is well! The store gave me no problem when I returned the shorts to be de-tagged. icon_biggrin.gif

The cashier said it happens a lot. The buzzer did go off when I entered the store but I walked stright to the cashier and she said "I know what the problem is". Thanks for all your help.

Huuummmm..

Ya gotta wonder why the darn thing does not set the buzzer off when you leave,and it does when yoy return??

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

RCI-Rhapsody- 2004

until the return to the Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

I wouldn't worry as long as you have a receipt. Our local dept. store will send someone to your house to renove..happens all the time. As long as you have a receipt.

Fascination 4/98

Majesty of the Seas 4/00

Destiny 4/02

Navigator of the Seas 4/03

Seranade of the Seas 2/04

Splendor of the Seas 4/05

If they used security tags on the merchandise in the shops on board the ship and they forgot to remove the tag do you think they would give me a free cruise so I could come back to the ship to get the tag removed..... icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Archived