Rome on your own excursion

Hi Blubelle, in 2007 we were on a Carnival ship and took the Rome on your own excursion. We were dropped off at the Borghese Gardens, we were picked up at about 5p.m. I know you will be on a Royal Caribbean ship but it may be the same. Just wanted to pass this info on to you. It may have changed since then and onthe same token, it may be the same. At least this can help tell you a little. The Borghese Gardens were close to the Piazza del Popolo. Good luck!

Blubelle: see this is your first cruise !!! Congrats. You will love Brilliance of the Seas. She is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew.

And since you are new to the boards here is a tip to make your research and planning easier. Try using the search for info before posting a new thread. There was another thread just in the last month asking the exact same question and lots of discussion on same.

Have fun planning - and enjoy.

Hint: save your $$$$ and take the train!

When I stopped in Rome 2 years ago, I had been to rome before so I decided to do rome by myself using the train but it turns out it was not such a good idea. It is very feasable (the walk from the boat to the train station is simple) but once you factor in the duration of the train ride and the walk to the train station then you end up losing close to 3 hours. Of course you you could always cab it to the train station and save the 30 minute walk but still add that time to the stress of making it on time back to the ship and I think having the cruise ship take care of the ride for a few dollars more is not such a bad idea.

Also to note I spent 2 weeks in Rome 3 years back and I came to the conclusion that Rome is a wonderfull city, with horrible transit. The subway is not really all that usefull as it only really covers one side of the city ( east) and buses were difficult to find and routes hard to figure out so most of the rest must be taxied which can get expensive or walked which is fine and easy but can be a real pain if you are on a tight schedule. My advice would be that yopu let the cruise ship get you there and then to focus on either visiting the vatican (St-Perters is worth a visit and if you are not afraid of heights climb to the roof for a spectacular view of the city.) also worth the visit if you like ruins are the capitoline, the forum and the coloseum (All walking distance of one another). Finally if you are there in the evening, Piazza Navona is amazing at night with artists and entertainers performing and tons of restaurants and gelataria that come alive once the sun goes down. Best of all its safe and taxi rates are lower in the evening so you can just take a taxi when its time to leave.

Have fun!

I have to agree with CathyCruises - take the train. The train is easy. The walk from the port entrance is an easy 10-15 minutes depending upon your own travel speed. Rome is a walking city, and if you have a good map and plan out your day, it is easy to do. The metro serves the city center on north/south and east/west routes. Above ground, there is a matrix of buses going all over the city - most of which go to Termini at some point or another.

I have to agree with CathyCruises - take the train. The train is easy. The walk from the port entrance is an easy 10-15 minutes depending upon your own travel speed. Rome is a walking city, and if you have a good map and plan out your day, it is easy to do. The metro serves the city center on north/south and east/west routes. Above ground, there is a matrix of buses going all over the city - most of which go to Termini at some point or another.

So do you think the metro is easier or better to use than the hoho buses? thx

Blubelle: see this is your first cruise !!! Congrats. You will love Brilliance of the Seas. She is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew.

And since you are new to the boards here is a tip to make your research and planning easier. Try using the search for info before posting a new thread. There was another thread just in the last month asking the exact same question and lots of discussion on same.

Have fun planning - and enjoy.

I did try using the search for info but I must be doing something wrong because I didn't get the thread you mention. I'll try it again and see if I manage it this time.

So do you think the metro is easier or better to use than the hoho buses? thx

The Metro is quite easy to use and fast BUT unfortunately it doesn't go everywhere. If you are arriving at Termini (from Civitavecchia) and want to go to the Colosseum/Forum area or the Vatican, both are easy to reach via Metro.

However, if you want to do the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc the Metro stop (Barberini) isn't really that close, although still very walkable.

Archived