Weather in Scandinavia in Late August

Can anyone tell me what the weather may be like in Norway, Sweden, Denmark in late August early September? Will I need a heavy/medium/light jacket?

If you go to http://fp.homestead.com/weather.html

you will see weather links to various ports on the Baltic cruises. Once you get to a city, there is a place you can put in a past date and get the historical data for that day. Just plug in a date you are interested in and check it for a couple of years at that time.

If you go to http://fp.homestead.com/weather.html

you will see weather links to various ports on the Baltic cruises. Once you get to a city, there is a place you can put in a past date and get the historical data for that day. Just plug in a date you are interested in and check it for a couple of years at that time.

Thank you so much for the website. It works great!

Looking at average and history information about weather before you travel is always a good idea. But it is also good to know that the weather here varies a lot. Weather in August can be anything between hot (only beginning of August) and sunny, to cold, windy and rainy. Day temperatures can be somewhere between 55 and 90.

So you will have to be prepared for everything. No heavy jackets, it is better to have one that is light to carry, and that can take a bit of wind or light rain. And then have a warm sweater that can be worn under it if it is cold. Clothes that can be worn in layers is the way to go.

With a little bit of luck you will not need the jacket or the sweater most of the time, and there will be days when shorts and a tennis shirt will do, but it is best to be prepared.

Looking at average and history information about weather before you travel is always a good idea. But it is also good to know that the weather here varies a lot. Weather in August can be anything between hot (only beginning of August) and sunny, to cold, windy and rainy. Day temperatures can be somewhere between 55 and 90.

So you will have to be prepared for everything. No heavy jackets, it is better to have one that is light to carry, and that can take a bit of wind or light rain. And then have a warm sweater that can be worn under it if it is cold. Clothes that can be worn in layers is the way to go.

With a little bit of luck you will not need the jacket or the sweater most of the time, and there will be days when shorts and a tennis shirt will do, but it is best to be prepared.

North-Bound, we're sailing 9/13 thru 9/23. It looks like the average temperatures will be mostly in the 40's (hopefully the higher 40's :rolleyes:). Does that seem about right to you? I have a great jacket I bought last summer for Alaska (supposedly the 3rd coldest summer on record for Alaska - but we had great weather so no complaints). It's a waterproof and wind resistant shell with a hood and has a fleece zip out liner. I think something along those lines should do the job.

north-bound

Actually we'll be in Helsingborg, Sweden September 2, 2009. Can it get hot then in Sweden. As you can see, we're from Florida and I'd really like to be in cool/cold weather.

hammerj

The average September temperature in Stockholm during the day is in my mind more likely to be in 50's than in 40's. September is often a very nice month here. But again, as said before, weather here varies a lot so average is just average. It can be warmer and it can be colder. If there is a strong wind it means a big difference.

But it sounds as if you have a good jacket, it sounds as if it will be warm enough. And if you have a warm and sunny day you can always take it off. Layers is always the way to go.

In the beginning of September it is not cold in Helsingborg, Sweden. It can

rain if you are unlucky, but it is never cold.

Welcome! Pyttan

quote=hellokitty49;18377726]north-bound

Actually we'll be in Helsingborg, Sweden September 2, 2009. Can it get hot then in Sweden. As you can see, we're from Florida and I'd really like to be in cool/cold weather.

hammerj

• 3 months later...

[quote=hellokitty49;18364936]Can anyone tell me what the weather may be like in Norway, Sweden, Denmark in late August early September? Will I need a heavy/medium/light jacket?

hi we are going on this cruise only booked yesterday looking forword to it:):) never been on princess

It will be wet and cold; or sunny and hot; or somewhere between the two. LOL! :)

Seriously, I have never had such a time packing for a trip. Right now, on the chair next to my bed, I've got everything from gloves/scarf/wooly hat to shorts and t-shirts!

The weather in Northern Europe consists of a series of huge low-pressure areas (called cyclons, but are not of the fierce tropical type) that always rotate counterclockwise and (almost) always go from west to east. They are created over Greenland, pass over Atlantic ocean, and England before reaching Scandinavia. The storms are then calming down as they move over land. With the cyclons comes rain and thunderstorms. Depending on the angle the low pressure areas are hitting land they are either pulling in cold air from the north or warm air from the south. Therefore the weather is highly unpredictable.

July and early August use to be quite nice. Sometimes in late August the first bad/cold/rainy weather use to appear. For September the good weather is regulary intermixed with cold and rainy periods lasting a few days. .

So don't look too much on average temperatures.

Archived