Is there a cost advantage to late booking

Crazy Carolyn

Several members of my family are going on the NCL 8/16/09 cruise to Alaska. I am uncertain about going. If I do I will need a room alone to myself. What are the chances of getting a very good last min. deal? I'm planning for the Pearl....Please HELP:o

You could find last minute (one month or less) deals for this cruise, but there's no guarantee. If the ship fills up before the price comes down, you may be left home.

Once you decide to go, keep an eye on the prices (daily) at a few different sources (one being NCL itself). I've seen bargains change daily. Have an idea of what price YOU consider to be your buying amount. Don't forget to compare apples to apples (that is, include taxes & fees, etc).

Our Alaska cruise (HAL) was a last minute (two weeks); I was happy with the price we paid. (And I loved the cruise- Alaska is magnificent). However, we have watched prices on many potential cruises over the last several years. I frequently see a price drop (maybe 2-4 months prior) and then the prices go up until shortly before sailing. NCL must have some formula that's used to determine how popular a cruise is, how many cabins of each type are left, etc.

And remember that you can no longer book within about 48 hours of the cruise (someone else will know the exact nuber of hours required by Homeland Security).

Good luck!

the advantage of booking late is better prices usually, but no always, the disadvantage, the ship sells out or only lousy cabins are left.

As bad as the economy is, Alaska is still selling fast, the prices on some sailings are better than in the past, but never is Alaska a cheap cruise.

\

Nita

the advantage of booking late is better prices usually, but no always, the disadvantage, the ship sells out or only lousy cabins are left.

As bad as the economy is, Alaska is still selling fast, the prices on some sailings are better than in the past, but never is Alaska a cheap cruise.

\

Nita

I disagree, this season is loaded with $499 cruises and has been for about a month. Princess has dumped last minute cruises for YEARS, every year in the $399/499 range. There are and have been great deals around for Alaska.

I disagree, this season is loaded with $499 cruises and has been for about a month. Princess has dumped last minute cruises for YEARS, every year in the $399/499 range. There are and have been great deals around for Alaska.

you are 100% right, but check the dates. Believe me, I have more than one client trying to book July and Aug, the rates are lower than last year, but nowhere near $499.00. I wish they were, I could sell about 10 cabins right now. As for priness and other lines, again those rates even waiting until the last minute are not available during August.

A few years ago (2 I think) I got a party of 3 on a Carinval cruise the last week on July, inside cabin, $900 plus per person and they grabbed it. That was 3 weeks prior to sailing and was absolutely the only thing available under $1200.

Nita

Several members of my family are going on the NCL 8/16/09 cruise to Alaska. I am uncertain about going. If I do I will need a room alone to myself. What are the chances of getting a very good last min. deal? I'm planning for the Pearl....Please HELP:o

Due to our schedules and worries about elderly relatives, DH and I usually book about 1-2 months prior to cruising. I've always gotten great deals.

Just don't wait to long- occasionally you get a rock bottom deal if your available to cruise in less then a month, actually under 6 weeks since that is when final payment is due and the cruise line is looking at paid bookings and trying to fill empty spaces, but those great deals seem to be out of Florida or CA- Mexico, not out of NY or to Alaska.

But then there are cruises that fill-up, that happened on my last cruise. I booked Thanksgiving weekend for a cruise on Jan.25th, about 2 months out. Within a week the price started raising, the ship sold out before New Years, with only the Owners Suite available!

I had been keeping an eye on the cruise (relatives were going and asked us to join them) and decided to book when I noticed categories disappearing and room selection getting thinner. So if you want to go I would say book 6 weeks before, unless you see there are empty rooms.

Archived