Princess Train from Whittier to Anchorage

jff50

We are thinking about taking the Princess scenic train transfer from Whittier to Anchorage after our northbound cruise. It is more expensive than a bus transfer (from Princess or another company). The train is a 2.5 hour trip as opposed to a 1.5 hour bus ride. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra money. Does the train take a different (more scenic route)? Is the train one of those with the glass dome (better viewing than a bus)? Any experience on how one might compare to the other would be appreciated.

The rails and road follow each other almost all the way.

The train cars will have nice big windows.

I guess the longer ride gives you more scenic viewing time. If you happen to see wildlife, like sheep and whales. The train will even slow down or stop for our viewing pleasure.

The "stops" the train makes is seconds. I have been pulled over on the Arm and have seen several trains go by. There is NO difference in scenery on this segment, it parallels the Seward Highway. Seats are assigned. The bus has the advantage of you picking your seat, with the Arm views, on the driver's side coming from Whittier.

Archived