Ships use Caribbean Sea as dump for solid waste

Interesting read, for those that werent aware.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/01/news/CB-FEA-Cruise-Pollution.php

Excerpts

The U.N.'s International Maritime Organization outlawed dumping in 1993 for the Caribbean, a largely enclosed area where the string of islands blocks currents that would flush waste into the Atlantic Ocean. It will not take effect, however, until enough of the surrounding nations report their capacity for treating trash from cruise ships — information that the vast majority of nations so far have withheld.

In one notorious example, Carnival Cruise Line withdrew from Grenada in 1999 amid a dispute over $1.50-a-head tax to pay for a new landfill.

"Countries haven't forgotten that," said Christopher Corbin, a Jamaica-based officer with the United Nations Environmental Program. "They are worried that they will get played off against each other."

That's an interesting angle. I can really see the problem for ships based on Caribbean islands, where it really isn't possible for them to "take it back home".

Interesting read, for those that werent aware.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/01/news/CB-FEA-Cruise-Pollution.php

Excerpts

The U.N.'s International Maritime Organization outlawed dumping in 1993 for the Caribbean, a largely enclosed area where the string of islands blocks currents that would flush waste into the Atlantic Ocean. It will not take effect, however, until enough of the surrounding nations report their capacity for treating trash from cruise ships — information that the vast majority of nations so far have withheld.

In one notorious example, Carnival Cruise Line withdrew from Grenada in 1999 amid a dispute over $1.50-a-head tax to pay for a new landfill.

"Countries haven't forgotten that," said Christopher Corbin, a Jamaica-based officer with the United Nations Environmental Program. "They are worried that they will get played off against each other."

Carnival dumps nothing at sea. In fact, Carnival has been recognized as one of the most environmentally responsible cruise line in the world:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/environmental_virtual_.aspx

Carnival dumps nothing at sea. In fact, Carnival has been recognized as one of the most environmentally responsible cruise line in the world:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/environmental_virtual_.aspx

VERY interesting, Mach, I did not know that but am PROUD to be on a Cruise line that is so concerned about the environment. Thanks for posting.

I'm curious as to what the OP angle was here.

As I read the article, the discussion is about cruiselines that BASE their operations out of certain carribbean countries.

This article is not speaking of the main mass cruiselines such as RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity and others.

Heck, if you want to talk about dumping garbage into the oceans talk about the US Navy and or NYC :eek:

I think the thread is rather interesting. In my own little head-in-the-sand way, I never gave a single thought to where the waste from a ship goes. When I think cruise, I think sun, fun, food, relaxation. I don't (didn't) stop to wonder where the dirty diapers went, or the biowaste from the clinic, the plastics, glass, paper, cardboard, aluminum, etc.

I am impressed that a cruise line I chose to carry me away from my day to day worries both last year and next month, cares to address those issues in such a responsible way. Kudos to ALL cruise lines who are doing their part to ensure the oceans are habitable not only for us to enjoy, but for all marine life!

The Mediteranean has a similar problem with the increased cruise traffic the last few years. It doesn't get the flow through it to exchange a large volume of water, so they have to do all they can to limit the amount of waste discharged.

I'm curious as to what the OP angle was here.

As I read the article, the discussion is about cruiselines that BASE their operations out of certain carribbean countries.

This article is not speaking of the main mass cruiselines such as RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity and others.

Heck, if you want to talk about dumping garbage into the oceans talk about the US Navy and or NYC :eek:

Uhhh, the Navy stopped dumping solid waste into the ocean years ago. In fact the last time I ever remember a Navy vessel dumping trash over the side was 1990...

Can someone tell me if there are special cans for recycling plastic bottles on carnival ships?:)

I do believe there are receptacles labelled for specific items such as plastic...will be able to confirm that on October 17th...YES!!!! :D

According to our galley guide on the Liberty, all left over food, minus the bones and lobster shells, are ground up and "fed to the fish"

Uhhh, the Navy stopped dumping solid waste into the ocean years ago. In fact the last time I ever remember a Navy vessel dumping trash over the side was 1990...

Not according to my sources at Bremerton and Bangor.

Most of it maybe,,, all of it,,NOT

Can someone tell me if there are special cans for recycling plastic bottles on carnival ships?:)

..yes, saw a couple of bins marked on the Imagination last November.

JoanK

I have seen those marked receptacles on Lido.

We always leave our recyclables out of the cabin trash. The steward has always taken care of it. I have seen separate containers on the carts they use.

Not according to my sources at Bremerton and Bangor.

Most of it maybe,,, all of it,,NOT

sources at Bremerton and Bangor??? I have been on both coasts and every major body of water on the globe and not since 1990 have I seen solid waste allowed to be dumped overboard...now, food and the like is ground and dumped, which is biodegradable and serves as fish food...sewerage is not dumped either, it is treated on the ship (much like your municipal waste water treatment plant) and is pumped out as "gray water" which is exactly what land based water treatment plants do...oil and such from the bilge is not pumped out either, it first is processed through an oil/water separator, the oil is kept onboard and the water is pumped out...

sources at Bremerton and Bangor??? I have been on both coasts and every major body of water on the globe and not since 1990 have I seen solid waste allowed to be dumped overboard...now, food and the like is ground and dumped, which is biodegradable and serves as fish food...sewerage is not dumped either, it is treated on the ship (much like your municipal waste water treatment plant) and is pumped out as "gray water" which is exactly what land based water treatment plants do...oil and such from the bilge is not pumped out either, it first is processed through an oil/water separator, the oil is kept onboard and the water is pumped out...

I believe frodo was referring to the US Navy Submarine Service's waste practices. A topic you appear to be minimally aware of, despite your stated tour on the Emory Land.

I believe frodo was referring to the Submarine Service's waste practices. A topic you appear to be minimally aware of, despite your stated tour on the Emory Land.

Yeah, that's it, I don't know anything about the dump chute on a submarine :rolleyes:

According to our galley guide on the Liberty, all left over food, minus the bones and lobster shells, are ground up and "fed to the fish"

I believe they're talking about human waste.

Archived