Pompei and Capri on same day

We dock in Naples. Want to take the 4 hr Pompei tour leaving at 8:30 am and then wondered if we would have time to go over to Capri on our own and be back at the ship by 5:30 pm. We don't want a whole day in Capri as have been there before. Thoughts on this and thanks for info.

Barbara

We dock in Naples. Want to take the 4 hr Pompei tour leaving at 8:30 am and then wondered if we would have time to go over to Capri on our own and be back at the ship by 5:30 pm. We don't want a whole day in Capri as have been there before. Thoughts on this and thanks for info.

Barbara

You could spend some extra money for a private tour that would take you to Pompeii... I think 2 to 2.5 hours is great for a first time visit there... then have your driver take you to Sorrento... GREAT village and scenery. From there you can take the hydrofoil over to Capri for a few hours and then hydrofoil back to Naples. Also... while all of this is highly do-able, you definitely would need to research hydrofoil/ferry schedules. I never think the half day tours are worth it with the ship. I am not a ship tour fan anyway, but half days are a waste because by the time they bring you back to the ship, usually it's a waste in transportation. Just my 2 cents. Naples is my favorite cruise port, but only because I spend the money and go private.

when we did pompei.. we spent the whole day looking .. it is huge and still didn't see everything.. but that all depends on how much you enjoy history..... ..we took the train to pompei and the stop you take to pompei it just about 100 -200 ft from where you get off the train

Tonia

You could spend some extra money for a private tour that would take you to Pompeii... I think 2 to 2.5 hours is great for a first time visit there... then have your driver take you to Sorrento... GREAT village and scenery. From there you can take the hydrofoil over to Capri for a few hours and then hydrofoil back to Naples. Also... while all of this is highly do-able, you definitely would need to research hydrofoil/ferry schedules. I never think the half day tours are worth it with the ship. I am not a ship tour fan anyway, but half days are a waste because by the time they bring you back to the ship, usually it's a waste in transportation. Just my 2 cents. Naples is my favorite cruise port, but only because I spend the money and go private.

bARBARA. i am going to naples for the first time/

could you tell me:

do you enjoy spending any time in Naples? IF so, how (on your own, private tour, etc/).

also, if you had to choose, sorrento or Capri???? we will be there in early November.

could we do all 3? thx, barbara

Barbara

We took the train to Pompeii, spent about 3 hours there, and then continued on the train to Sorrento. We got to Sorrento about 12:30. We would have been pressed for time, and stressed out, to take the hydrofoil to Capri and back to the ship. We decided to have a nice lunch in Sorrento, and walk around the town, which is beautiful. After shopping we took the hydrofoil back to the ship and got there around 5 pm. I don't think you will have enough time to do Capri and Pompeii, unless you do a private tour.

You cannot reasonably do that 4 hour ship's tour and than go to Capri. Here is the problem. The ship tour will get you back to the ship by around noon. Even if you ran directly over to the ferry terminal you would not get to Capri until around 1:30 (assuming you didnt wait too long for a jetboat). Than, it will take you another 20 - 30 minutes to walk over to the funicular and get up to Capri Town (assuming there are no long lines). At this point, its already 2 pm, and you will start worrying about getting back down to Marina Grande to catch a return boat. If there are a few ships in Naples, the lines for the Funicular back down to the docks can be very long by around 3 pm (on a busy day it can take nearly an hour to get through the line and down the funicular). My point is that it's a lot of traveling (not to mention money) for very little time on Capri. If you really want to do this, you might want to go to Pompeii on your own (take the train), cut your visit to about 2 hours, take the same train (its the Circumvesuviania Line) the rest of the way to Sorrento, take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri (only 20 min vs the 50 min from Naples) which can get you to Capri by around 1 (you need to research the ferry schedule and make a good connection). The problem with the ship's tour is that they take you back to the ship...which is taking you further from Capri.

Hank

Hank, that is what I was afraid someone was going to tell me. The only reason I was thinking of trying to get to Capri also is that my husband hasn't been there. I've spent a day there so I really don't need to get back there. Also have spent time in Sorrento so not doing that again this time. I think what we might end up doing is just taking the train to Pompei, stay there until lunch time or little later, and then maybe wander around Naples a little bit. Any suggestions for Naples? We have only trained there from Rome to go over to Capri so I don't know the area at all.

Thanks for any suggestions from anyone.

Barbara

I think what we might end up doing is just taking the train to Pompei, stay there until lunch time or little later, and then maybe wander around Naples a little bit. Any suggestions for Naples? We have only trained there from Rome to go over to Capri so I don't know the area at all.

Barbara

If you enjoy Pompeii, a visit to the highly-praised museum in Naples with all of its artifacts may be a good way to spend the remainder of your time.

Hank, that is what I was afraid someone was going to tell me. The only reason I was thinking of trying to get to Capri also is that my husband hasn't been there. I've spent a day there so I really don't need to get back there. Also have spent time in Sorrento so not doing that again this time. I think what we might end up doing is just taking the train to Pompei, stay there until lunch time or little later, and then maybe wander around Naples a little bit. Any suggestions for Naples? We have only trained there from Rome to go over to Capri so I don't know the area at all.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

We've been to the Naples area twice and Pompei too. We will be there again in June. You cannot do both Pompeii and Capri in the same day. If you do Pompeii then go on to Naples go to the Museum where they hwve the real exhibits from the Pompeii ruins. Unless you are there on a Tuesday when it is closed.

That is when we will be there so we are going to Hericulanum instead. We've been there before and really enjoyed it.

One word of warning do not wear any jewellery or expensive watches when going about Naples

Hello, I was reading your Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri travel suggestion which sounds exactly like the senario I'm looking for. Can you provide any more details about how to get to the train from the ship's dock. Is the ferry in Sorrento easy to locate and is there a website for the ferry's (schedule)?

Thanks!

Candy

Well we will be there on a Tuesday also so guess we now know is will be the Hericulanum instead. Can you give me any information on that?

Also I will leave most jewelry in the ship safe. I try not to take alot of expensive jewelry except my wedding rings on trips like this. I am even afraid to wear good fakes. Want to avoid muggings of any kind.

Thanks for information.

Barbara

Hello, I was reading your Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri travel suggestion which sounds exactly like the senario I'm looking for. Can you provide any more details about how to get to the train from the ship's dock. Is the ferry in Sorrento easy to locate and is there a website for the ferry's (schedule)?

Thanks!

Candy

Hers how to get to Pompeii by train. Very easy. When you exit the ship walk across the street to the newstand. Buy a bus ticket for 1.5 euros to the train station. Walk back across the street and take the #1 bus to the train station. Don't forget to validate your ticket on the bus. The bus ride was about 10 minutes. Take the Sorrento train and get off at Pompeii Scarvi. There are 2 Pompeii stops, so be sure to get off at Pompeii Scarvi.The entrance to Pompeii is right behind the train station. It took about 15 minutes on the train. There are private tour guides waiting to be hired, or go to the information booth and get the free map.

We then got back on the train and went to Sorrento. You can take a taxi or walk to the hydrofoils.Exit the train station towards the ocean and turn left on the last street before the ocean. That will take you into town, about a 10-15 minute walk. You will cross a bridge that if you look down you will see about 100 stairs to get to the road that will take you to the hydofoi. It was about a 15 minute walk to the dock. I don't have a link for the hydrofoil schedule, but here's a good website with easy directions for the train to Pompeii.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

my family group want to see Pompeii, but i have read that is not wheelchair friendly. my mom can walk but won't be able to walk around for 2 hours and see everything. can anyone tell me if there are spots where she could sit and rest or get a snack or a bench where she could see alot of the ruins? really appreciate your answers! barbara

Your Mom will have a tough time at Pompeii. There is a single snack bar/cafeteria place in the ruins, but it is located near one of the gates and still a pretty long walk. Pompeii's walkways are in very bad shape (it has become a scandle and political issue in Italy) and not wheelchair compatible. Also keep in mind that it can get very hot in the ruins during the summer months.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I will also be in Naples on a Tuesday. Since the museum is closed, I am trying to figure out what to do after Pompeii. Since Herculanium is between Pompeii and Naples, can I buy a R/T ticket to Pompeii and (on the return) simply get off in Herculanium and get back on without paying an additional fee?

I will also be in Naples on a Tuesday. Since the museum is closed, I am trying to figure out what to do after Pompeii. Since Herculanium is between Pompeii and Naples, can I buy a R/T ticket to Pompeii and (on the return) simply get off in Herculanium and get back on without paying an additional fee?

Darn good question. The normal tickets are one-way and I do not believe there is any discount for round trip (they just give you 2 tickets). You can ask if they have a special ticket that lets you ride all day (have never seen this on the Circumvesuviania). Otherwise, keep in mind that the regular one-way ticket must be validated in the machine (before boarding) and than is time-limited so it cannot be re-used. The good news is that the train is very cheap.

Hank

my family group want to see Pompeii, but i have read that is not wheelchair friendly. my mom can walk but won't be able to walk around for 2 hours and see everything. can anyone tell me if there are spots where she could sit and rest or get a snack or a bench where she could see alot of the ruins? really appreciate your answers! barbara

It is true the paths at Pompeii are not in good shape. How much can she walk? My mom has some mobility issues but she was able to do about the first hour of the tour. At a certain point, there is a quick way to the exit, which the guide pointed out per her request. She was able to find a shaded bench just before the exit where she could sit and enjoy a nice view for a while and rest. She then walked out and down to the entrance where she had a coffee and waited for the rest of us to finish.

That may be too much for your mom, however....

Archived