Truth time...have you ever?

eddiesgal

On one cruise my husband was asked what he did and he answered he was an auditor. Everyone thought he worked for the IRS. We never said different. The position we held with the company sent us all over the country mentoring the computer programs that the company used. When all was said and done though we went back to our stores and put on the uniform and did the exact same job that we were teaching to everyone else.

eileen

Fredr,

Awesome advice! Do not quit posting, this is valuable input that no one else came up with after all these pages of posts!

New cruiser, do not waste time worrying about this - most fellow cruisers are normal and decent, just like you! If you do have that rare occasion of insufferable tablemates, smile and nod your way thru it best you can, then follow Fred's advice. You could also have a response in your back pocket, courtesy of Miss Manners: "Why on Earth would you ask something like that?"

I, personally, always want shared tables, the bigger the better, because I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life. It's most always a pleasureable experience. Fine dining and good conversation.

Personal aside to Fred - I would LOVE a tour of socal! If I can break from the midwest, I will look you up! thanks much!

no...we have always had very freindly mates at dinner. Even if you run into a situation where your table mates are better off professionally...they are on the same cruise and sitting at the same table as you are...so you must be doing something right:D

We've always been fortunate and had great tablemates. We request a large table because chances are you'll find someone that you can relate to. We've made some great friends that we continue to remain in touch with.

Louise

Hello,

I know, I know you are very very tired of posts from me on this thread or any other thread. However, Michiganmom is going on her first cruise and since I am from Michigan originally I had to respond...I want this very nice lady to truly have a wonderful cruise.

Generally you will meet very nice people on a cruise so please do not waste any time worrying about this. If however you do meet people at the first dinner (in the dining room) whom you do not like, see the Dining Room Manager (or Maitre D) the next morning and ask for another table. It is part of their job to see to it that passengers are happy with the dining arrangements.

Do not just assume that no one can help you, that you are stuck in a bad situation, and must have every dinner in the buffet. Take action promptly and do have dinner in the dining room each evening.

Keep in mind that all kinds of people go on cruises. And there are a fairly high percentage of persons who have managed their lives and careers at least reasonably well to be able to afford the time and money to go on cruises. Some like to talk about their lives but this in itself does not make them poor dinner companions, unless they get carried away. Even after 27 cruises the old rules apply...stay away from religion, politics, and money. Unless...your dinner companions are really fun to be with, respect you and your DH, and an exchange of ideas/ knowledge will be stimulating and informative.

My last, I promise.

Fred

Ditto what Fred said :D

The last thing I would discuss with people I have just met would be money or level of cabin one might be occupying. How or why would those subjects even come up on first meeting? And more importantly-----what difference would it make and why would one want to talk about them? I just don't understand why someone would obsess over such issues. :confused:

The last thing I would discuss with people I have just met would be money or level of cabin one might be occupying. How or why would those subjects even come up on first meeting? And more importantly-----what difference would it make and why would one want to talk about them? I just don't understand why someone would obsess over such issues. :confused:

Good point! I was thinking back about the conversations I've had with my fellow cruisers and I don't remember one of them being about what either of us did for a liiving, what category room we were in or money. I do remember havng fun conversatons about the ship, ports of call, entertainment, excursions, home towns, hobbies and interests, famly and simply lively small talk.

The vast majority of cruisers are happy people from all walks of life. Being on vacation puts a smile on peoples faces and makes them even happier. Fortunately, I haven't encountered any grouches or uncomfortable conversation. Sadly, there are some who have, but I truly believe those are few and very far between.

Good point! I was thinking back about the conversations I've had with my fellow cruisers and I don't remember one of them being about what either of us did for a liiving, what category room we were in or money. I do remember havng fun conversatons about the ship, ports of call, entertainment, excursions, home towns, hobbies and interests, famly and simply lively small talk.

The vast majority of cruisers are happy people from all walks of life. Being on vacation puts a smile on peoples faces and makes them even happier. Fortunately, I haven't encountered any grouches or uncomfortable conversation. Sadly, there are some who have, but I truly believe those are few and very far between.

Thank you for elaborating on my post. You said it very well. My experience has been similar to yours.

I’ve only been intimidated once, sort of. It was open seating at lunch the day we boarded. There was a kid around 5 or 6 years old seated at our table (with his parents of course). He was, umm, over weight. Without warning he innocently turns to me and says “do you think I’m fat?”. How do you answer without hurting his feelings? Yes, he was but you can’t say that. I forget the answer but all eyes were on me and it was a tense few seconds. I must have answered ok because lunch went on. :o Otherwise I’m the one doing the intimidating. I usually sit at a table with my kids and that’s my job as a mom!

I don't intimidate very easily :)

Actually it is funny . I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher so many times when I tell people what I do, they will satrt asking me a ton of questions.

"Oh that must be so stressful"

"You must get some real lulus calling in" (OH YEA *LOL*)

When the show "Rescue 9-1-1" was on , a lot of people asked "Is it just like the show with William Shatner?"

I always said "Not really, we have much better hairpieces " :)

On our first cruise, my husband and I were seated at a table for 6, but one couple never showed up. The wife of the couple that did show up was on the Atkins diet and she ate three or more of her entrees, appetizers, salads every night. Seriously.

On "lobster night" she had...(are you ready for this?!?!)....13 lobster tails. 13!!!!!!!!!!! No exaggerations, no making this up - I am completely serious.

The husband was the type of person who does not make eye contact, so every night when he would talk to us, it felt like he was staring at my chest.

Even with all their weirdness, they were actually a nice enough couple. We love telling that story! :)

Intimidated? No. Uncomfortable, yes. One cruise I was seated at a table for four. Just myself and one other couple. This couple was the most racist, foul mouthed, bigoted and rude persons I have ever met. I walked out in the middle of the first dinner after first telling them I didn't appreciate their comments. I requested another seating from the maitre' d and that solved the problem.

A little OT, but...

When asked an awkward question by a kid (or, I suppose, anyone), a good way to diffuse the situation is to turn it back to them: "I don't know, what do you think?" or some such. Once you hear more of where they're coming from, it's easier to come up with an appropriate reply.

that, and generally, people like to talk about themselves. (I am a very slow eater so it's good if I can get other people talking so I can work on my meal and no one realizes how long it takes me!)

I like to try to draw out the shy. I'm pretty non-threatening and reasonably social, so if I can get them talking just a bit, they can loosen up and feel a bit safer in a social environment where no one is going to criticize (I can only speak for me and DH on that). I've found that the quietest people are often the ones with the most interesting things to say.

It's the non-stop talkers I grow weary of quickly.

We had one lunch experience with a couple who were very important :) They owned this, that, and those. They'd travelled here, there, everywhere. They knew this person and that person and and and and AND. They never found out anything about us -- they never stopped talking and bragging the entire meal. Were we intimidated? No. We socialize at home with a number of truly wealthy people (that you'd never be able to identify as wealthy if you didn't know them).

On one cruise, though, it turned out **I** was the designated fork selector :D which was quite uncomfortable -- everyone at the table waiting to see which cutlery I used, and how I approached some of the dishes.

My answer to self-important blowhards is to smile and say, sweetly and innocently, of course, "Oh, really? That is SO interesting. I can belch the alphabet in three different languages."

:D

Works every time.

We have recently returned from the Liberty and I might have the solution to your table mate issue. The Liberty offered My Time dining which allowed you to choose your dining time from 6-9 any night. We really enjoyed the freedom not to rush to eat at exactly the same time each evening. We had a table for two so table mates were not an issue but we did meet some nice couples while My Time dining. We will do it again next cruise.

Never intimidated but a little uncomfortable when DH and I had to share a BOOTH with four other people we didn't know at all...and they mostly spoke Spanish. Having a table for six with separate chairs is one thing, but squeezing into a booth is another. I needed just a little more personal space during dinner.

Can I ask, what ship was this on?:confused:

Archived