Baltics - Princess transfers to downtown

Embracedbylife

Anyone know how to purchase transfers from the ship to downtown stockholm, helsinki and gdansk and tallin? Do you purchase these the day before? I don't see them on the cruise personalizer under shore excursions.

We were on the Crown princess last summer to the Baltics. Great cruise!! At most of the ports, we either were very close to downtown, or there was a bus outside that we just paid at that time. Of course in St. Petersburg that is not an option. I don't remember if there was transportation in Tallin, we just walked it. It isn't too far.

In Poland, it was about a mile to the train station. We walked, but there was transportation available. From there, we took the train into town.

Enjoy your cruise!

On our 10-day Star Princess Baltic cruise in Summer of 2005, Princess offered, as a part of their shore excursion selections, an "On Your Own" option for Stockholm and Gdansk. The ride, via bus, was about 30+ min to an hour, I believe. The price was reasonable and everyone received a map of the city. This option worked well for us as we are generally not group tour people. The disappointing part was that the short amount of time in port on those days meant you used a lot of time in transit and were left with not a lot of time to explore the cities.

So, check the shore excursions for some "On Your Own" options. I hope this helps!

Do not buy the Princess transfer in Gdansk/Gdynia. Four people: take a taxi from the port to the train (cost is $10). Train to the city is $2.25/PP one way. Princess charges $34/PP. Total trip cost for 4 people is $56.00 vs. $136 from Princess. Trains run very often and you can't get lost. It's 14 stops and you get off/on at the last one. We were there in September.

Talinn: it was pouring. Don't recall if downtown was walkable; we took the shuttle. Either $4 or $5/PP

Thanks this is very good info. The shuttles that you refer to, are they pre-purchased shuttles via the "on your own" excursion? Or you just pay as you get off the ship? I'm figuring some of this information must be supplied in the patter the day before?

Thanks this is very good info. The shuttles that you refer to, are they pre-purchased shuttles via the "on your own" excursion? Or you just pay as you get off the ship? I'm figuring some of this information must be supplied in the patter the day before?

You purchase them on the bus. Patter will tell you. Some you need cash and others can be charged to your shipboard account.

• 2 weeks later...
Do not buy the Princess transfer in Gdansk/Gdynia. Four people: take a taxi from the port to the train (cost is $10). Train to the city is $2.25/PP one way. Princess charges $34/PP. Total trip cost for 4 people is $56.00 vs. $136 from Princess. Trains run very often and you can't get lost. It's 14 stops and you get off/on at the last one. We were there in September.

Talinn: it was pouring. Don't recall if downtown was walkable; we took the shuttle. Either $4 or $5/PP

Hi Pia:

did you have any problems getting taxis at the Gydnia port? did you negotiate the price up front? do we need local currency to pay for the taxi and train fares or will they accept US dollar/Euro? Also, for the return trip, did you have any problems finding taxis at the train station?

Hi Pia:

did you have any problems getting taxis at the Gydnia port? did you negotiate the price up front? do we need local currency to pay for the taxi and train fares or will they accept US dollar/Euro? Also, for the return trip, did you have any problems finding taxis at the train station?

There are lots of taxis at the port. Just walk outside and the first one will tell you $15. Hold up a $10 bill and say who wants to take us to the train station. Someone will bite. There will not be a horde of people trying to take a taxi. They know that..

The train fare is paid in Zlotys; they will do the exchange at the booth.

Return was a little more difficult getting a taxi because lots of local people were getting off the train and they had other fares. We were going to take the bus back (we knew which number; don't recall now), but then a taxi driver said OK and off we went. We never stressed, because we allowed lots of time to get back to the ship. And of course we could have paid more than $10. :D

In town we used US dollars. Had coffee at a great bake shop. Pastries cheap; coffee expensive.

The station you get off is 14 stops from where you got on. But as previously said, it's the last stop so you can't get lost.

I CAN ONLY ECHO EVERYONE'S SENTIMENTS ON THIS TOPIC....I ALSO WROTE A REALLY LONG REVIEW/DIATRIBE IN THE BALTICS SECTION, A SECTION CHOCK FULL OF GOOD INFO.

but seriously, i had my 75y.o. father with me and we had no problem getting around all these places on our our (we did St.P tours though) in poland we took a public bus to the commuter rail station, same thing in germany (though we cabbed it back from the train station cause we were tired). In Helsinki, we took the public bus from (near-ish) the dock right into town. Then we took the surface trolley for the long haul up to the Rock Church) In Stockholm, we took the water taxi on the dock (everyone goes right-to their tour buses, you go left) which had us around the harbour in five minutes and was really great when we were tired at the end of the day, as it took us right from the Vassa museum straight back to the ship.

As you may have guessed, I'm no hearty soul/outdoorsman, but i really hate cruise tours and their prices that prey upon people's ignorance. P.P.P.P.P. get thee to Rick Steve's Scandinavia at the local library.

There are lots of taxis at the port. Just walk outside and the first one will tell you $15. Hold up a $10 bill and say who wants to take us to the train station. Someone will bite. There will not be a horde of people trying to take a taxi. They know that..

The train fare is paid in Zlotys; they will do the exchange at the booth.

Return was a little more difficult getting a taxi because lots of local people were getting off the train and they had other fares. We were going to take the bus back (we knew which number; don't recall now), but then a taxi driver said OK and off we went. We never stressed, because we allowed lots of time to get back to the ship. And of course we could have paid more than $10. :D

In town we used US dollars. Had coffee at a great bake shop. Pastries cheap; coffee expensive.

The station you get off is 14 stops from where you got on. But as previously said, it's the last stop so you can't get lost.

Thank you so much for the information. I certainly feel more at ease going to Gdansk on my own.

No need for any form of transportation in Tallinn other than your legs. Just walk off the ship and follow walking tour provided in Rick Steves' Scandinavia. That book is a must on a Baltic cruise. FYI, there are alot of hills in Tallinn so if that's a problem doing Tallinn on foot wouldn't be for you. I did notice all the tour groups from the ship following their tour guides and the narrow street would get very crowded so I watched for them and went to a different site sometimes doing Steves' walk in the opposite direction.

If you need to resupply your wine/booze in your stateroom there is a store near the pier. I bought a 3 liter box of wine, put it in my backpack, went right on the ship, no problem. Used a credit card to pay for it. I think it was about $20.00.

Went on Crown Princess last summer in the Baltic sea and we did most of the ports on our own. The only port which is impossible is St. Petersburg.

Stockholm: Shuttle right outside the ship which accepts USD and EUR. It leaves you right in the city center, close to where the royal live. You have cruise tours where they drop you off, very good to get a quick glimpse of stockholm.

Helsinki: Also has shuttle to city center. It leaves you at one end of this big park. It has hopon hopoff buses from there, or you can just walk 10 minutes down to the other end of the park and you will end up at the big famous market.

Tallinn: Please don't waste money on the bus unless you have limited mobility. City center is very very close to pier, and they even have directions on ground on how to get to city. You will see a old gate, go in that direction.

Poland: Taxi or train will do fine. Negotiate with taxis.

Oslo: In a 2 minute walk you are next to city hall.

Any more questions please go ahead and ask.

Have fun!

Archived