Diamond International BEWARE........

Yep, I always tell everyone on here to avoid the stores the cruiseline recommends, kickback and going to be higher priced too. The guarantees are still only as good as the store behind them. Its not like Carnival takes care of problems. Iv heard of watches breaking and taking years to resolve and still not resolved to the customer's satisfaction.

It's not just Carnival that won't take care of problems it's far beyond that with different cruise lines.

Like Firefly, DH & I avoid about every shop the cruiselines recommend. If the cruiseline port consultant (DH calls him/her the port ****) recommends a store you need to know that store/company has paid hundreds, if not thousands, of $$$ to the cruiseline to be among that cruiseline's recommended stores. Doesn't mean that store is of the highest quality, only means that store/corporate store has paid the bucks to be recommended on the ship.

I don't buy jewelry but purchase other items that the port pimps tell you are ``good buys'' at the different ports. Exeample, rum cakes.

Anyone who has cruised on any mass market ship has heard the spiel about Tortuga Rum Cakes being the best and the cakes are sold on the ship as well as in the islands.

Have purchased Tortuga rum cakes as well as other rum cakes from about every Caribbean island we have visited and brought them home to friends as a testing. Tortuga was at the bottom of the testing by ladder. Blackbeards rum cakes in Grand Cayman was at the top -- yet you will never hear your port consultant talk about Blackbeards rum cake in Grand Cayman because the Blackbeard's company will not spend the money for advertising on ships in order to keep their prices lower.

Another example, Del Sol, advertised on every ship I've sailed in 25 cruises. Coupon gives you a ``free'' color changing item with a purchase of $20 or so.

There are other companies out there that can give you the same product for many $$ less. You just have to look for them in port.

Had our first run in with the port consultant and the ship's guarantee on our first cruise in 2002. ship consultant would not stand behind the guarantee. Hae not listened to the port consultant's talks since that cruise and we are about to embark on our 26th cruise.

Dianne

You're on vacation and have vacation brain . . . . that's how so many of those timeshares are sold. They are selling you a feeling . . . . and at the time, on vacation, so in love, etc. all those things add up to some bad purchases at times.

It's hard to get out of the moment of the sale to use common sense sometimes (I've fallen prey to his many times only to have my hubby bring me back to earth).

We all know it, making big purchases from someone you haven't truly checked out is not a great idea. But, you have vacation brain, you have Carnival telling you the store is "recommended" and sometimes you even have a drink or two in you. Common sense doesn't always prevail . . . .heck, that's why I have a timeshare in Vegas - - - :-(

.........can't speak for other stuff, but diamonds we would NEVER buy unless they were legitimately rated by GIA.

The only island where we found GIA diamonds thus far was St. Thomas.....and the prices on those were ridiculously high vs. the same rated diamonds in same size.......in New York City.

Foreign cruise ports rarely the best places for shelling out large sums of cash !!!!!!

Dont try dealing with them because they are in NY..... They give you more excuses then you can imagine...Even with my receipt they said its not my merchandise.....They lie...Only buy from a GIA certified diamond dealer

I've never had a problem with Diamonds International. Everything we've bought from them has appraised over the value. I've never had an issue with their service or the quality of merchandise bought. And I always ask for GIA or GCAL as well as Kimberley Process certifications while buying.

That depends on what you're buying and where. It's usually a heckuva way to avoid luxory and import taxes.

And it is a way to avoid just plain ole sales tax. In our state, our sales tax is 9.25%....so when I bought my Rolex at Kirks (Grand Cayman)...I not only got the 15% +5% discount.... I saved almost 10% in Sales Tax!

And it is a way to avoid just plain ole sales tax. In our state, our sales tax is 9.25%....so when I bought my Rolex at Kirks (Grand Cayman)...I not only got the 15% +5% discount.... I saved almost 10% in Sales Tax!

Good on you! I love a nice Rolex. I don't have one yet, but I will .... oh, yes ... I will ....

We had a good experience with DI 10 years ago. Bought a very expensive tanzanite and diamond ring for the wife. We were at the store for 5+ hours hammering out a deal, evaluating the product and working to get the best value.

Upon our return to the states our jewler did the appraisal and was floored by the price we were able to negotiate...stating that we did well.

Fast forward to last month. We had been told that anytime we were at a DI we could get a free on the spot cleaning and adjustment of the piece. We walk into a DI in Cozumel, present the ring and get the question...who did you buy this from? Well...you guys you turds! And they wanted the name of the salesperson from 10 years prior. After much jockeying and intentional delays I swiftly picked up the ring and said....later, dudes, me and my money are exiting stage left. I guess they felt we were only interested in the free service when in reality we had plans on looking at matching peices.

Won't frequent them ever again. They didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

On my first cruise in 99, Carnival recommended a store (Touch of Gold) in Cozumel to purchase Beverly Hill Polo watches. My mom purchase 2 for my kids....within the year, my son's watchband broke. I took it to a local jewelry store and was told you have to purchase the band directly from Polo. So I contacted them to get instructions. When I explained where I purchased the watch they had a supervisor talk to me. I was asked to mail the watches to Polo. Found out they were fake and Polo wanted the watches/receipt in order to prosecute the company in Cozumel . Polo sent me 2 legitimate watches in the mail. This was before the shopping guarantee that CCL has in place.

I never purchase jewelry while in ports.

If you do not want to get "burned", do your reseach before you go.

The best buy....sterling silver, no stones!

Also, Larimar can be purchased in San Juan, St. Thomas, or St. Maartin at great prices as long as it is set in sterling silver. Back in the states, it goes anywhere from $70 and up for the smallest stone. Plus, you have so many styles to choose from in the islands that you don't have stateside.

DI is good if you have a coupon for free merchandise. Take in and go. You are under no obligation to purchase anything.

Best shops in St. Thomas are independly (usually family) owned and have been there for years. They have good quality merchandise, will bargain with you and will stand behind their merchandise. If you spend any amount of time in these shops, you will find repeat customers who are satisfied. I needed to have a ring sized but didn't have the time so the merchant gave me a card to have the sizing done in NYC on 5th Avenue in a place that you have to make an appointment before hand. Since the shop in St. Thomas could not complete the sizing during the time I was there, the cost of the sizing was free in NYC. The merchant called NY and told them I would be coming in. Now, that is what I call service!

Another time in this same shop I did have the time for the sizing and was directed to the local jeweler in St. Thomas who was doing the sizing and had the opportunity to observe the customers in his shop. A lot of locals were coming in having their repairs, etc. done. So that was a very good sign!

You need to know before you go. Don't believe all the hype on the ships -- all the cruise lines do this.

MARAPRINCE

We're having nightmare with diamond purchased at DI in St Thomas.

Do Not Buy From Diamonds International!

You will be sorry.

They're recommended by the cruise ships, and are not trustworthy.

Just to let you know about good experiences we've had in St. Thomas. We've been dealing with Star Jewelers since 1989 and are very happy with the results and have become friends with the family. We had anything we bought appraised when we got home and it was always at least twice what we paid and sometimes more. This is a family owned business and they too told us a about the $1000 per ship call that other shops are paying to be included on the recommended list.

[quote name='LemurCat']I've ran into that same problem with a lot of jewellers, not just DI. And for the love of God, unless it's someone you really, really trust, [B]do not let them take a stone out of a setting for cleaning[/B]![/QUOTE]

Another very good point....

I do have to say that DI has deteriorated over the past 10 years....and that is a shame.

Again, my dealings years ago were with an individual manager that I knew...not DI in general.

Archived