Diamond International BEWARE........

I bought a tennis bracelet at Diamonds international with Carnivals 30 day quarantee, in St. Thomas I brought it to my jewerly store , and my 4 carott diamond bracelet turned into 2.5 carrott, and it is poor quality, I can not return it, as, the women at PBI ( number givien when I called Carnival) stated I had to read the paper, I could exchange it, but not return it, can anyone help me on this. I must do this in the 30 day quarantee.

Yep, I always tell everyone on here to avoid the stores the cruiseline recommends, kickback and going to be higher priced too. The guarantees are still only as good as the store behind them. Its not like Carnival takes care of problems. Iv heard of watches breaking and taking years to resolve and still not resolved to the customer's satisfaction.

I bought a ring in Cozumel about 5 years ago at DI. It was one of those with the opals inlaid on the side shanks of the ring. It had diamonds and sapphires on top. The DI rep said he could size it up to fit the finger I wanted to wear it on. He said it would be no problem. He did it and I was really happy with it until we were dressing for dinner at I noticed that two of the opals fell out of the ring and by the next morning four had fallen out. I went to talk to the guy on the ship who said how wonderful DI is and that Princess had this great relationship with. He could not be located. Long story short. After 8 months and lots of arguing, I finally had my ring back from DI whose HQ are in NYC. My opals were replaced and with poor workmanship. I like the ring and wear it regularly but will chalk it up to experience and not purchase jewelry in the Carribean without really weighing the pros and cons should something with the product go wrong. Good Luck! Oh and a return was not an option under any circumstances they offered only a credit or repair. I don't think I will ever make any major purchases again you simply have no recourse. I will continue to do business with reputable jewelers in the states.

Melissa

Yep, I always tell everyone on here to avoid the stores the cruiseline recommends, kickback and going to be higher priced too. The guarantees are still only as good as the store behind them. Its not like Carnival takes care of problems. Iv heard of watches breaking and taking years to resolve and still not resolved to the customer's satisfaction.

I am going to agree and disagree here. Agree with the original poster. I, too, purchaseda tennis bracelet from Diamonds International at Cozumel, about 10 years ago. When I got back home I, too, took it to my jeweler and it was appraised at 2.0 carats, instead of the 3.5 they sold me on. Knowing I would get nowhere, I didn't do anything. I will disagree with Firefly that Carnival does not do anything about it. Several years ago, my husband bought me a watch (Citizens) aboard one of Carnival's ships (don't remember which one). The watch had crystals all around the face of the watch and at some point several of them fell off. I called Carnival and they provided me with the name of Starboard Cruise Services, 8034 N. W. 14 Street, Miami, Fl. 33126, 1-800-540-4785. I called this company and they provided me with all the information I needed to return the watch. I returned it and a month later I had my watch back with a brand new set of crystals. Carnival delivers on purchases bought aboard their ships. Just keep your receipts forever.

I bought a ring in Cozumel about 5 years ago at DI. It was one of those with the opals inlaid on the side shanks of the ring. It had diamonds and sapphires on top. The DI rep said he could size it up to fit the finger I wanted to wear it on. He said it would be no problem. He did it and I was really happy with it until we were dressing for dinner at I noticed that two of the opals fell out of the ring and by the next morning four had fallen out. I went to talk to the guy on the ship who said how wonderful DI is and that Princess had this great relationship with. He could not be located. Long story short. After 8 months and lots of arguing, I finally had my ring back from DI whose HQ are in NYC. My opals were replaced and with poor workmanship. I like the ring and wear it regularly but will chalk it up to experience and not purchase jewelry in the Carribean without really weighing the pros and cons should something with the product go wrong. Good Luck! Oh and a return was not an option under any circumstances they offered only a credit or repair. I don't think I will ever make any major purchases again you simply have no recourse. I will continue to do business with reputable jewelers in the states.

Melissa

And, yes, I agree I too was burned only once. I have never purchased anything of value in any caribbean island. I prefer to stay with the reputable jewelers at home.

I am going to agree and disagree here. Agree with the original poster. I, too, purchaseda tennis bracelet from Diamonds International at Cozumel, about 10 years ago. When I got back home I, too, took it to my jeweler and it was appraised at 2.0 carats, instead of the 3.5 they sold me on. Knowing I would get nowhere, I didn't do anything. I will disagree with Firefly that Carnival does not do anything about it. Several years ago, my husband bought me a watch (Citizens) aboard one of Carnival's ships (don't remember which one). The watch had crystals all around the face of the watch and at some point several of them fell off. I called Carnival and they provided me with the name of Starboard Cruise Services, 8034 N. W. 14 Street, Miami, Fl. 33126, 1-800-540-4785. I called this company and they provided me with all the information I needed to return the watch. I returned it and a month later I had my watch back with a brand new set of crystals. Carnival delivers on purchases bought aboard their ships. Just keep your receipts forever.

I think there's a difference between something purchased onboard in one of the Carnival shops and just the shops in port Carnival "recommends". And do the "super shoppers" REALLY have to stand near the door and hand out those annoying maps (printed with only the Carnival kickback stores) and slap those stupid DI sickers on one's shirt? That was annoying.

I've never bought jewelry in ports. To me, jewelry is a purchase that should be "relationship-based", i.e., know who you are doing business with - someone local and trusted, to whom you return over the years. This thread confirms that those who are looking for "bargains" in ports get far less than they bargained for. :(

Quick story about DI. I was on a cruise in December 07, went to DI and priced out a caret anniversary ring (the cruise was for my anniversary). I have a jeweler at home, but this seemed like an awesome price and I was about ready to purchase for $1300. Upstairs at DI they have free internet, drinks, free call home, etc. My hubby and I went upstairs to think about it and get a drink, there was the free phone right in front of me. I picked up the phone and called my jeweler at home and got him right on the phone. I explained the ring, the cut, etc. and he told me over the phone he could do it for about $900. I then got online and looked at jewelery prices and again confirmed that I was overpaying.

So my husband and I had our free coke and walked out. When I got home I visited my jeweler and had my ring made. It was beautiful.

So, granted the free calls and the internet DI provides isn't probably to check out their pricing but it saved me about $400 and hassel if I had any problems.

Try to call your credit card company to get help. If they misrepresented the bracelet you may be able to have them take on the fight. I had an issue with DI on my first cruise over a bracelet. Tried to be civil and go the cruiseline route to no avail. Not until I got my credit card company involved did I get a refund (not an exchange, who would want to deal with them again). Learned my lesson to stay away from cruise line shops. Good luck!

We've bought a couple of pieces from DI and they were exactly as stated. I've also bought a 3 carat diamond tennis bracelet in another store in St Thomas and had it appraised and it was exactly as stated and appraised over what I paid for it. So, you can have good experiences also, just as you can have good and bad in the states.

Another problem is having set diamonds measured and appraised isn't as accurate as loose ones. The stones could be very deep and still be the weight you were told, but not measure face up that large. They would appear to be smaller but would need to be removed from the setting to be accurately measured. Measuring the depth of smaller diamonds in a bracelet setting is pretty difficult. Just FYI for those that don't know how carat weight is determined.

DI will bargain with you. We've never paid the tag price in a jewelry store out of the country. We paid 1/3 of the tag price on a blue diamond necklace in Cozumel this past Nov.

I have done business with DI for 10 years with great results.

I started doing business with them because I love tennis bracelets but 10 years ago....the US stores only offered one or two designs. I liked the original design of the DI bracelets (not the xoxox or ssss thingys).

So I have 2 diamond tennis bracelets that are exactly what DI said they were and got them at a good (not great) price. I also have a diamond and sapphire ring that I got for a good price and is exactly what DI said it was.

HOWEVER, the last time I purchased anything from DI was 3+ years ago....because... Natalie is no longer a manager at the Cozumel store. She was from Canada and she retired to marry and now has a family.

I was not doing business with just DI. I had someone there that I trusted and that is the key. Natalie and I had known each other several years before I purchased my first piece.

I would never walk into DI and purchase any jewelry from someone I did not know....just like I would not do that at home.

I have visited DI's stores as many as 15 times last year alone (at various ports) have noticed a decrease in service and quality of jewelry in the case over the years. Natalie always had my pieces waiting for me when I arrived, so I never bought a piece (out of the case). Sometimes I bought things...sometimes I did not.

I would suggest that if you charged it, you dispute the charge on your credit card.

Secondly, you should have gotten an appraisal or certificate of authencity or "something" that stated the weight, cut, clarity and color of the stones in your jewelry.

If a jeweler is now telling you that your piece of jewelry is not what that certificate says....then you have a course of action.

However, IF your jewelry matches that certificate (and for some reason you did not read the certificate)...then you are stuck.

Also, there is a huge difference between purchasing something on the ship and purchasing it in port. If you purchase something on the ship, you do indeed have ONE FULL YEAR to return it for any reason as long as you have the receipt to the company and address listed earlier. We have used this service with a watch we bought our son and had no problems at all...

HOWEVER, this is totally different than Carnival's "guarantee" when you purchase an item in port.

Carnival's guarantee for port purchases simply pledges to make sure what you bought is what you got and again in this case, it will come down to what was written on that certificate.

Good Luck.

A lot of vendors at the frequently visited cruise ports are a lot like Carny, as in traveling amusement park, vendors to me. There is always a certain amount of shadiness felt.

Try to call your credit card company to get help. If they misrepresented the bracelet you may be able to have them take on the fight. I had an issue with DI on my first cruise over a bracelet. Tried to be civil and go the cruiseline route to no avail. Not until I got my credit card company involved did I get a refund (not an exchange, who would want to deal with them again). Learned my lesson to stay away from cruise line shops. Good luck!

I can tell you as a credit card dispute rep, that taking on a company operating overseas isnt the easiest thing you ever did. Mixed results.

I went to another jewelry shop in cozumel and still love the ring I got. Who knows if its tanzinite. I asked onboard a cruise and the sales folks in their jewelry shop said no one there can look and determine if its a real tanzinite, go by what you paid. I went to a talk about how to tell about diamonds and tanzinite on board carnival and she said she could tell. I told her the sales folks in Carnival's jewelry store said you cant tell. She said well some things would give it away if it was fake, but I dont think she could tell either. Luckily I still love the ring. lol

I dont buy really expensive jewelry overseas either, not without a written guarantee. Beyond sayind oh isnt that pretty, I admit to having no expertise.

i also had a bad experience with di and when I told iton crusie critic i was kicked off... you should ask why is that" my guess is kickbacks go all around"... the truth my jeweler says DI has poor quality and they think they are giving you a great deal.....return the item for a full refund.........cruise line says 100% refund.... thats what you want.......

look AT BBB REVIEW OF DI....THEY COMMENT DO NOT SHOP THERE... CHECK IT OUT... LERT THE TRUTH BE KNOW. In my case sold us diamond earings... they were 4 chips put together as one...... when we noticed that it was 4yrs later and they and cruise line did nothing... but the gall of DI to claim it wasnt there merchadise and offered me $50 GIFT CERTIFICAte.... welll you know where i told them to put the certicfiate.........dont buy and let all cruisers know it

I bought a ruby and diamond ring from DI on my cruise last year. Just a couple of weeks after the return, one of the small diamonds had fallen out. It was within the 30 day warranty period so they did fix it. Unfortunately, when it came back that replaced diamond just seemed out of place, not perfectly lined up with the others. I thought perhaps I was just imagining it. A couple of months later, not only did the same small diamond fall out again but one next to it as well. This time, DI wouldn't even respond to my letters. I decided to chalk it up as a lesson learned and won't do business with them again.

I just took the ring in to a repair shop last month. Cost me $150 to replace the missing diamonds and reinforce the mountings for the other small diamonds. I got it back Saturday and it is perfect now but I will not buy from DI again because of the poor workmanship. (I'm having the ring appraised this week and will report back on actual value once I get it done. I paid $800 in the VI for the ring. Not sure if I got taken on value as well as workmanship.)

i also had a bad experience with di and when I told iton crusie critic i was kicked off... you should ask why is that" my guess is kickbacks go all around"... the truth my jeweler says DI has poor quality and they think they are giving you a great deal.....return the item for a full refund.........cruise line says 100% refund.... thats what you want.......

look AT BBB REVIEW OF DI....THEY COMMENT DO NOT SHOP THERE... CHECK IT OUT... LERT THE TRUTH BE KNOW. In my case sold us diamond earings... they were 4 chips put together as one...... when we noticed that it was 4yrs later and they and cruise line did nothing... but the gall of DI to claim it wasnt there merchadise and offered me $50 GIFT CERTIFICAte.... welll you know where i told them to put the certicfiate.........dont buy and let all cruisers know it

BBB has negative reports on almost every company in existence. Did DI actually tell you the earrings were one piece? If the price was too good to be true, that is why. That's a pretty common practice to lower the cost of a total carat weight by putting 4 princess cuts together. It's done all the time. You can tell by looking at them. Unless they specifically told you they were one larger diamond, they did nothing wrong. Did they say they were a specific quality, VS or SI or whatever? If they didn't give you a quality grade, you had no case. It does help to educate yourself on jewelry before you buy anything.

BBB has negative reports on almost every company in existence. Did DI actually tell you the earrings were one piece? If the price was too good to be true, that is why. That's a pretty common practice to lower the cost of a total carat weight by putting 4 princess cuts together. It's done all the time. You can tell by looking at them. Unless they specifically told you they were one larger diamond, they did nothing wrong. Did they say they were a specific quality, VS or SI or whatever? If they didn't give you a quality grade, you had no case. It does help to educate yourself on jewelry before you buy anything.

you are correct an educated consumer is the best... Our deal was fifty dollars less then another di store in cozumel. They wrote on the bill 3/4 carat round diamond earings.....They never mentioned pieces.......My fault for not looking with scope..........I might have seen the joining but now I know so as you say be educated and be aware.

With regARDS TO BBB NO di IS ON THE LIST FOR MANY ISSUES ESP. CUSTOMER SERVICE.... My jeweler isnt... So Beware

I can tell you as a credit card dispute rep, that taking on a company operating overseas isnt the easiest thing you ever did. Mixed results.

DI home office is in New York...so thankfully they will not be dealing with a company that is only operating overseas.

Archived