Where to pick up lunch prior to El Yunque?

mysparky

We're spending a few days pre-cruise in San Juan and plan on driving to El Yunque for a day of hiking and fun. I'd like to pick up lunch on the way so that we can have a picnic once we're there. Does anyone have recommendations of where I could pick up picnic fare? (We'll be coming from Old San Juan).

Thank you!

There are a few places to get sandwiches on the way.

You can stop at Walmart at the end of RT 66/RT 3. They have premade lunches with sandwich/soda and chips. They also have hot meals that they wrap to go.

On RT 3, you will pass a number of supermarkets, where you an pick up lunch and supplies.

Or, go to the light at the rainforest/Rio Mar. Ishamar Bakery is on the left, or turn right and you will find Palmer Panaderia (bakery). They will make sandwiches or sometimes sell the fixin's for sandwiches.

On RT 191, there are a few restaurants that do take out. One Fri-Sun (maybe other days) there is a place on the left (across from "the greatest PR souviner" or something similar stand), that has Lechon. Yum!

Or continue up 191- there is a restaurant, they can do take out of PR food “La Muralla”. They have a dog on the roof.

On rt 191- At km 11.6 there is a snack stand Yuquiyu that has some basic lunch foods that you can get to go....

enjoy!

Info on trails in El Yuque and the overview:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/el-yunque-overview/

We have only 2 trails left to right about (one we did already and I just have to write it, and another we are doing this Saturday!) Then we will have a complete personalized El Yunque trail section.

CH -

I've picked up several tips reading your many,many posts. Thank you for all of the previous info as well as this response which has so many options!

You're welcome.

I figure, since I have done it, I might as well share and make someone else's trip easier!

on the way to the rainforest on route 3, you will pass a small grille on the right called el verde. they have ribs,chicken,sausage,batatas, and mofungo. they can pack it to go for a real puerto rican fare lunch to start your trip.

steve

Steve- that is our favorite "take-out" PR food (just down the road from our place)! Great food, very reasonably priced.

On the corner of RT 3 and RT 186.

Archived