How do you bring wine on-board?

dragongirl64

We are sailing on the Noordam, April 19/09 on the 10 day Roman Empire cruise, out of Rome (Citavecchia). I believe there is no limit to bringing wine aboard, but just how do people actually do that? We are flying from Canada and don't want to bring a whole case of wine with us....Do people buy it once they arrive before getting on ship (ie: duty free maybe??) or are there other ways of doing this? We are staying in a Deluxe Verandah Suite on the Rotterdam Deck, don't know if this makes a difference or not....In case it doesn't show, we are complete cruise newbies so any and all help would be appreciated!

With all the wonderful, moderate priced Italian wines, buy your wine in Italy.

Are you traveling at least one day pre-cruise? If so, it will be easy for you to buy your wine before you board.

If not, you can buy wine in any port along the way and bring it aboard. HAL permits us to bring wine aboard from ports as well as on embarkation.

We arrive in at 11:00 a.m. in Rome after flying all night from Toronto; the ship doesn't sail till 5:00 p.m. that day. Hopefully this will give us a bit of time to get some of that wonderful Italian wine before leaving port! Are there some places at Civitavecchia for buying wine prior to embarkation?

You can buy wine in the grocery stores. There is one close to port--I forget the exact directions but there is a little TI booth that is very helpful close to the port gate. As sail suggests--you can buy wine at all your ports, you don't need to stock up for the entire cruise when you ambark--it's fun to go into little shops and pick out unusual wines.

If your flight arrives on time, your luggage comes out quickly, you clear immigration without long lines, I think your priority will be getting to the ship. The wine can come later. From the airport to port is a bit of a ride.

Get yourself to the ship and then if there is time, there is a shuttle you can take to try and shop. This is a large commercial port.

If your flight arrives on time, your luggage comes out quickly, you clear immigration without long lines, I think your priority will be getting to the ship. The wine can come later. From the airport to port is a bit of a ride.

Get yourself to the ship and then if there is time, there is a shuttle you can take to try and shop. This is a large commercial port.

You have a good point! There are a lot of "ifs" at play....Am thinking it may be better to bring a bottle or two each of our really good wine from home (that we save for "special occasions" that never seems to get consumed, lol) and then have fun each port day finding some new local wines to try that night! Thanks for the ideas/suggestions, they are much appreciated!

If it were me, I would not risk packing wine in my suitcase as I head to a luxury Med cruise departing from Rome. I would order from the wine list. For the first night or two you are aboard, you can enjoy something available on the ship and then shop in port as you start making port calls. Why risk a broken wine bottle ruining your clothes and soaking your suitcase? Besides, sometimes really, really good wine doesn't travel well. It would be subject to heat and cold and shaking and would probably not be at its best after rigorous handling.

Of course, the choice is yours and nothing wrong with whatever your decide. That is just what I would do.

You cannot board a plane in U.S. or Canada carrying liquids over 3 ounces unless purchased in the airport after security area. All liquids over 3 ounces must be in checked luggage.

If it were me, I would not risk packing wine in my suitcase as I head to a luxury Med cruise departing from Rome. I would order from the wine list. For the first night or two you are aboard, you can enjoy something available on the ship and then shop in port as you start making port calls. Why risk a broken wine bottle ruining your clothes and soaking your suitcase? Besides, sometimes really, really good wine doesn't travel well. It would be subject to heat and cold and shaking and would probably not be at its best after rigorous handling.

Of course, the choice is yours and nothing wrong with whatever your decide. That is just what I would do.

We have brought wine on flights before in wine boxes and they have arrived none the worse for wear, if packed properly they don't get shaken around too much and we should have time to decant before drinking if necessary...Anyway, I will think about it and could be a moot point as who knows how much room we will have in our luggage:)! Probably best for at least the first night to just do as you suggest and see what is on offer on the ship.....

We have brought wine on flights before in wine boxes and they have arrived none the worse for wear, if packed properly they don't get shaken around too much and we should have time to decant before drinking if necessary...Anyway, I will think about it and could be a moot point as who knows how much room we will have in our luggage:)! Probably best for at least the first night to just do as you suggest and see what is on offer on the ship.....

Just remember that if your luggage is handled roughly and a packed bottle should break ... you will ruin your clothes and those of other passengers whose luggage got leaked on. Personally, I would not risk it.

Yes, I agree....As I said, probably best for the first day or two to partake of the on-board selection and try to buy different wines from the various ports we visit. Given the location we will be in I suspect there will be some fine selections along the way and lots of chances to try a wide variety of wine that we would never have been able to purchase at home. Anyone know if the corkage fee is still $15 on the Noordam? Is this in all the dining rooms or just the Pinnacle Grill?

If you are stopping at any ports in Italy, you should be able to easily find a grocery store - that is where everyone buys their wines in Italy ... and it is not overpriced, taxed, etc as it is in the US. You will have to take a shuttle which, if memory serves, is outside the terminal area - watch out you dont get run over as you have to be on the opposite side of street from curb to catch it. It may be worth waiting till next port or two ...

harry

Yes, I agree....As I said, probably best for the first day or two to partake of the on-board selection and try to buy different wines from the various ports we visit. Given the location we will be in I suspect there will be some fine selections along the way and lots of chances to try a wide variety of wine that we would never have been able to purchase at home. Anyone know if the corkage fee is still $15 on the Noordam? Is this in all the dining rooms or just the Pinnacle Grill?

The corkage fee on the Eurodam was $18 (included is the 15% service charge) last week and I assuem it wouydl be teh same fleetwise. That was for the Dining Room, Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill.

If you are stopping at any ports in Italy, you should be able to easily find a grocery store - that is where everyone buys their wines in Italy ... and it is not overpriced, taxed, etc as it is in the US. You will have to take a shuttle which, if memory serves, is outside the terminal area - watch out you dont get run over as you have to be on the opposite side of street from curb to catch it. It may be worth waiting till next port or two ...

harry

Overpriced? Maybe in some states. Overtaxed no, $0.69/GALLON excise tax average per state, $0.20/GALLON in California, the home of two buck Chuck.

But I agree wait and buy in at any of the ports.

The corkage fee on the Eurodam was $18 (included is the 15% service charge) last week and I assuem it wouydl be teh same fleetwise. That was for the Dining Room, Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill.

Thanks, I suspect it would be the same on the Noordam, too. Definitely worth it if one finds a wine that would be ridiculously over-priced to drink otherwise, and nothing irks me more than having to pay $60 for a wine at dinner that I know I could have bought at the corner store for $10:)!

We start the cruise in Rome and have stops in Dubrovnik, several in various Greek ports, Turkey and Sicily......Should be lots of vino available in any of those places I would think (hope!). I sound like a raging alcoholic I realize, but I truly think that good wine coupled with good food and spectacular scenery is about as good as life gets:)!

Archived