How about us average joes??

chloes nana

Chloes nana, with all respect, when you posted in the "VIP" thread, asking if your veranda was only "2nd class" (paraphrasing here), and how could you get to be a VIP,

I never asked how to become a VIP, :confused: the thread made it sound like if you were not a VIP or didn't have a suite than you would probably never see that status, it made the verandas and lower seem second class. My response was appropriate to the way the thread was sounding, with all respect cowprincess

Yes, there is a Know Before You Go booklet, and it will come in your document pac. If you would like to review the booklet before you get your docs, go to the online checkin page for your booking and, at the bottom of the page, there are links to important info, including a printable and/or readable version of the Know Before You Go.

I have read this several times and printed out the necessary info I find relevant

I don't pretent to know what the OP meant when commenting on the suite life ... but it reminded me of many posts I've seen on the boards with "well, we always book suites", "we cruise 8 or 9 times a year" and similar statements. I do not feel that having a suite is a sign of wealth but I believe that flaunting it or bragging about the suite life, particularly during the current global economic meltdown, may come across as unseemly to those who save every nickel and dime for a dream vacation or for any other discretionary spending.

this pretty much sums up what I am trying to state. We have had to save alot for our dream trip.

First of all, I think it's not a good idea to set this up as a suite vs inside, blue collar vs white collar kind of thing. That is just going to foster more resentment here on the boards.

I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to HAL. There are those with over 5000+ postings, with notable exceptions.Krazy kruizer, jhannah, RuthC, LaffinVegas come to immediate mind , Jim and Ruth of the 1000 suitcases, who are extremely helpful, and some of those have often sailed in suites, that seem to have the attitude that they know everything, and that every little change is a cause celebre. Yes, there are a few that preface every post by saying "we always sail in suites", but I think those are in the minority. There are also those who will weigh in on certain subjects over and over again with the same opinion and sometimes do so only to fan certain flames, smoking/tipping comes to mind, but no pun intended. Yes, we get it already.

But do keep in mind, that overall, these boards are generally pretty helpful and CC posters are about 1% of the cruising population, so I would imagine you will meet a lot of really nice people, and probably some rude ones who've never even heard of CC on your cruise.

this is not meant to be a rich versus poor or white to blue collar. it is a simple statement of fact from someone with a new fresh outside looking in attitude, that some people are rude.

KUDOS! to all the aforementioned folks they are truly gems with tons of helpful advice. My hats off to all of them and to you marle7. I just feel that people could be a little nicer on these boards. Even you were new once ;).

Nana,

First let me tell you that I was the first in my family to go to college. Everyone was blue collar with the normal strong American work ethic. I have been quite successful in business and thus can afford those suites you talk about. Further, I have traveled many times on 6 star lines in those same type (but considerably more expensive than HAL) accommodations. BUT .. let me say this, I discovered HAL on my fourth cruise and realized after a few more cruises with HAL and with the 6-star line that on the 6-star line: a) the folks are stuffy b) we spent most of dinnertime measuring each other’s business successes c) I, being a type-A who loved ice hockey rather than baseball as a young person, was competing with the best of them always d) my DW was very uncomfortable but just accepted these verbal duels, which is why I love her so much. Whereas, on HAL a) people were people, b) no one cared what my business was, c) there was a true cross-section of Americana on each cruise, d) the price of the cruise was affordable for everyone.

This is why we have continued to book HAL 3-1 over our old favorite 6-star.

Regarding this site, I find the people, for the most part (90-10 rule), very informative regarding anything about cruises. So, I believe you have come to the right place.

harry

thank you Harry!

I have never sailed before and I hope the dream vacation I am preparing for my DH will be everything he can want and not be a disappointment. Any thoughts or help here?? Thanks to all who have assisted me in the past and all who will before we leave. ;)[/color][/font][/i][/b][/color][/size][/font]

I don't know anything about the Mediterranean, but we just got off the Noordam and had a wonderful time. We've only cruised 3 times, but I remember how nervous I was when we were getting ready to go on our first cruise. Thankfully, I had found CC and I was armed with loads of information, so we were able to make the most of our short time in ports. Happy cruising...:)

Booking suites, as far as I'm concerned, is simply a matter of personal preference. My guess is ... and this is only a guess ... that many people who routinely book them live in large homes with plenty of space. Perhaps they would feel cramped in a standard cabin, so they book a suite. Also, some people would rather take shorter cruises in deluxe accommodations, and that is their choice. Some people like the extra "pampering" that comes with a suite, and consider that a vital part of their vacation experience. And, that's fine too.

But for others, even if they do have "means," accommodations are not that important to them. Their goal in taking a cruise is to see a certain destination ... or perhaps they like longer cruises. So they book them in more standard accommodations.

I'm the type of person that, while I am not rich by any means, could probably afford to stay in a suite for a shorter cruise. But I much prefer longer, more exotic cruises that are going to destinations I really enjoy. So, I routinely book the cheapest inside guarantee and especially since I often travel solo, that inside cabin suits me fine. I don't need the extra pampering. Just take me to those delightful destinations on a long, exotic cruise (my last HAL cruise was 35 days in length) and I'm happy as a clam.

So, to the OP, don't be under the misimpression that all people who book suites are necessarily rich. Many of them are not. It's just that the extra pampering is important to them and they consider it a vital part of their vacation experience. So, they book those accommodations even if it means they cruise less often or on cruises of shorter lengths.

Blue skies ...

--rita

hi Rita! I believe there is a different class for all. But I find the need to say they are suite folks unnecessary on most posts, that's all. Why can't people just be kind and helpful and give opinions without always stating their accomodations.:)

You know, it's hard to accurately figure out someone's tone/attitude based on written message board posts. I also don't understand the rush by people to post claiming they're "average" - as if being able to afford suites is something to be embarrassed about.

I figure people can do what they want with their money, and I only hope they're living within their means. However, if someone's making 2 or 3 times what I make, I'm not threatened by that and don't feel inadequate. If someone says "I never sail in less than a suite" it doesn't bother me at all. I don't feel jealous, I don't think they're a braggart, I don't think they're better than me and I certainly don't assume THEY think they're better than me. I doubt they care what money I have or how I spend it - just as I don't care about their circumstances.

Yes, I have stayed in suites, also in non-suite verandah cabins and some ocean views. I book what I feel like booking, for what I want to pay for that particular cruise, and don't feel the need to "not mention" I've booked a suite if that's what I have.....anyone who's offended by the comments I've seen mentioned on this thread needs a thicker skin.

This is simply a message board - no more, no less. Ignore the posts (or postERs) you don't agree with or have interest in...and don't let them get under your skin. Life's too short!

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

KUDOS! to all the aforementioned folks they are truly gems with tons of helpful advice. My hats off to all of them and to you marle7. I just feel that people could be a little nicer on these boards. Even you were new once ;).

You will love this fabulous itinerary. We did it but over two years as we are still working and did not have a month vacation. In 2007 we did the Western Med half on the Westerdam and last year the Eastern 10 nights on the Noordam.

We usually spend more money on excursions than we do on the cruise. Feel free to ask about a pre-stay in Rome, driver , private guides for any ports or anything else. Note that all private guides in this part of the world want payment in cash Euros but they take the risk that you won't show up. I suggest you consider the unlimited laundry and pressing package for the cruise as self service laundry is not available on Noordam.

I would consider myself an "average "Joe" cruiser. While I have hundreds of days onboard, most have been with inside cabins, a few ocean vies cabins and 2 days with a balcony, which was an upgrade due to a cabin mixup with our first one.

I understand your question and your concerns. That said, I do agree with the content of the comment you quote, but NOT the tone. The "Know before you go" booklet has a gold mine of information for cruisers, first timers and repeaters. I even review it before each cruise to see if there are any changes.

the tone is my problem. as I stated in another post, I have read the book and studied the posts on CC and have even printed out alot of info and it is now in a folder, for review when the time nears.

I would have a concern that with e-documents, folks will NOT read the same information online that they might with a tidy booklet. In fact, numerous questions asked on this board would not be necessary if folks read the booklet. Some may still need clarification, but they would start with some HAL information. Just my thoughts

and I am sure many don't read the book or the internet site information, but why lump all first timers into one rude remark like that?? there are many of us wh study ALOT before they cruise.

We're new cruisers as well (leaving March 15th on the Veendam, YAY!!:D) and I approach this site like any other message board, ask any questions you want (and don't be upset if certain ones don't get answered), answer any questions you can help out with, and stay out of everything else!:rolleyes:

Most posters here seem to be wonderfully helpful people..... and I have always relied on the kindness of strangers! ;) But once the ship sails: I'm not relying on anybody but hubby and I to thoroughly enjoy our cruise.:cool:

me too! the kindness of strangers is what I am talking about:p

You will love this fabulous itinerary. We did it but over two years as we are still working and did not have a month vacation. In 2007 we did the Western Med half on the Westerdam and last year the Eastern 10 nights on the Noordam.

We usually spend more money on excursions than we do on the cruise. Feel free to ask about a pre-stay in Rome, driver , private guides for any ports or anything else. Note that all private guides in this part of the world want payment in cash Euros but they take the risk that you won't show up. I suggest you consider the unlimited laundry and pressing package for the cruise as self service laundry is not available on Noordam.

thanks Jade13, I have done so much research on these boards and the Med ports of call boards and learned so much! We also chose to spend alot for the excursions and private tours and "splurged" on our veranda, got a great price though so that helped.;)

Further, remember that on any given HAL ship there are far more insides and outsides than there are suites and penthouses ... so I think there are more average passengers out there than you realize.

Not quite for the Eurodam and Vistas: On the Eurodam there are 2 penthouse suites, 110 other suites, 596 verandah cabins, 189 Outside and 155 Inside cabins. :)

That was me that said

Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet' date=' we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers.[/color']
and I was ABSOLUTELY NOT belittling first-timers! :mad: On any given HAL cruise, roughly 1/3 of the pax are on their first HAL cruise (though most are not on their first cruise ever) and that KBYG booklet contains 45 pages of information that everyone should know.

Here is the index:

General Information

- Identification Requirements

- Essential Cruising Tips

- Emergency Phone Number

- Guests Under 21

- Changing Your Itenerary

- Immunization

- Customs Information

- Pets

- Alcoholic Beverages Brought Onboard

Cruise Preparation

- Baggage Policies and Packing Advice

- Clothing

- Preparing For Your Flight

- Bon Voyage Gifts & Packages

- Weddings

- Dining Requests

- Last-Minute Checklist

Arrival Advice

- Arrival Instructions

- Airport Taxes

- Airline Delays

- Transfer & Policy Information

- Boarding Procedures

- Visitor Policy

Shipboard Life

- Activities on Board

- Shore Excursions

- Our Commitment to the Environment

- Club HAL Youth Program

- Services on Board

- Shipboard Meals

- Medical Facilities & Services

- Smoking Policy

- Communication at Sea

- Shipboard Accounts

- Hotel Service Charge

- Currency Exchange

- Signature Express Baggage Service

Disembarkation Procedures

While most of that info can be gleaned from diligent reading and asking questions here, the majority of HAL cruisers have never heard of Cruise Critic. It is very rare that a Roll Call has 100 people on it (most run 50 or less), meaning that about 90% to 95% on board are not getting any information here. Few get very extensive information from their TAs.

Therefore, if HAL stops sending out that KBYG booklet, there are going to an awful lot of people in the dark about an awful lot of important aspects of cruising on HAL.

BTW, I have never even had a Superior Suite, let alone a Deluxe one, and I probably never will be able to get either.

Nana, you will absolutely LOVE that cruise, and I do understand what you mean by planning and saving for a long time because that's what we do too. We have never had a suite, and probably never will unless it's because we're lucky enough to get an upgrade with a guarantee booking. In fact we didn't even have a verandah cabin until our 5th cruise, and that was a free upgrade! It was our 2nd Med cruise. We're dreaming of a 3rd time for 2010, but that's still in the dreaming phase right now. :D

So please don't think there aren't a lot of other "average joe's" out here, you have a lot of company. ;)

John, I read your original post as meaning exactly what you just stated. I read it as a helpful post to newcomers, and not at all belittling. I was surprised anyone could take it that way, I certainly did not.

"Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers"

I really think you taking this quote in the wrong way OP. The poster is talking about "people who never read the know before you go booklet," not first timers in general. They are discussing the fact that now with e type tickets more first timers won't have the info they need that is in the book. They won't have as easy access to the information. The poster is upset at HAL about this, not at first timers.

People don't complain about first timers that I've seen, although they do sometimes complain a bit about the first timers who fail to read the info provided to them and often hold up lines at embarkation, complain about things that were spelled out in the booklet and generally gum up the works by not reading the information sent to them about their cruise. It seems common sense that especially if it's a persons first time they would want to read the information the cruise line asks them to "please be sure to read" and make things smoother for everyone.

OP you are obviously not one of those people, but someone who is making an effort to inform themselves beyond even what the cruise line will ask you to read. No one will care if it's your first time or what cabin you're in. I think you've read some posts the wrong way, which is easy to do since you can't hear tone of voice here or even know what context someone is talking in a lot of times. You seem worried about "class envy" and being thought of as "lower class" or something. People really don't care! I've never had someone ever ask me what kind of cabin I'm in or known who was or was not a VIP. It's no big deal. Relax and enjoy :)

I think most times when people mention that they have traveled in suites it's refering to something, like when someone asks should they upgrade to a suite and the person answers saying that they have experience with suites and why they choose to travel in suites, or in the VIP thread those stating that they travel in suites but that does not put them automatically on the VIP list. Perhaps I have missed them, but I don't remember many people who state they have traveled in a suite without it having a reason for mentioning it. I think we most of us hope to have financial success and should not resent or look down on, but be happy for others who have achieved it, especially if it's through thier own hard work.

[quote name='Cruising-along']

John, I read your original post as meaning exactly what you just stated. I read it as a helpful post to newcomers, and not at all belittling. I was surprised anyone could take it that way, I certainly did not.[/quote]

I read it exactly the same way. I think your attempt to offer helpful information was misunderstood.

I am writing to wish you a wonderful cruise and to reassure you that you will find many very friendly, helpful folks on the Noordam. Holland America passengers are, in my experience, exceptionally pleasant, and that, combined with the warm, friendly crews, is why HAL is among my favorite cruise lines, and I think you will like HAL, too.

When you get to the pier, the HAL shore staff will greet you warmly and help you check in before you walk on the ship. Entering the ship is such an exciting experience. I like to study the deck plans beforehand, so I can find my way around a bit more easily. I often take the brochure with me which contains the deck plans. You will probably be hungry when you board, and a nice buffet will be waiting on the Lido deck. Often, the dining room is also open for lunch when you board, and eating there is very relaxing. At the door to the dining room, someone will greet you and then a steward will take you to a table. As I recall, there are usually about 3 main courses on embarkation day. I had a wonderful turkey dish the first day on the Noordam last fall.

I wish you happy travels, and would be happy to try to answer any questions you may have. I remember my first cruise, and I envy you the fun you will have experiencing it all for the first time!

[SIZE=3]Nana, we went on our first cruise last June. We never could afford it before. Like lots of people we had 3 boys go to college. Our oldest son gave us this cruise as a 50th anniv. gift. He booked us in a suite, even picked out the room no. He told us it was time for us to enjoy our cruise without worrying about paying for it. We had a great time. We then booked the same suite for half the price in Sept., saved for it since last July and still saving. If the suite was not within our budget we wouldn't have booked it. We were spoiled. We have the cruise fever just not the money to take many cruises so we will enjoy the next one and maybe beable to save up for another one but not in a suite, we liked a balconey and will try for that one next year, hopefully. Enjoy your cruise, you deserve it.:)[/SIZE]

[quote name='Cruising-along']John, I read your original post as meaning exactly what you just stated. I read it as a helpful post to newcomers, and not at all belittling.[/quote]
[quote name='fun*n*sun'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]The poster is upset at HAL about this, not at first timers.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[quote name='Two@Sea']I read it exactly the same way. I think your attempt to offer helpful information was misunderstood.[/quote][B]It wasn't so much "helpful information" as it was an opinion that I think HAL would be making a big mistake to stop sending out the booklet to first-timers.

I'm sorry, chloes nana, that you somehow read "tone" into my post that was not there.[/B]

You are taking the cruise of my dreams - enjoy!! Where you are berthed makes no difference. MY DH and I would rather travel less and sail in suites or travel business class when we fly overseas. My DB and his wife would rather travel more and sail inside and travel coach when they fly. We are all planning a Med cruise for 2010, and we will fly/berth as we prefer. Different strokes for different folks. BYW, none of us is rolling in the dough. It all comes down to preferences. As for a class system onboard, we were at a table for six. One couple was in a Veranda cabin, one was in a Superior Suite and we were in a Deluxe Suite. I know this because, our first night out, we were discussing cabins onboard out of curiosity. None of us could have cared less where we were all staying. We made some wonderful new friends and we are still in touch to this day and planning a reunion cruise sometime in the future. Enjoy your cruise and know that no matter where you are on the ship, it's better than where everyone else is who is not cruising!

[quote name='CowPrincess']Y'know, I really don't think people should be expected to justify the choices they make on how to spend THEIR OWN MONEY.[/quote]
thanks for your WARM FRIENDLY reply. I wasn't asking for justification, just why people seem to be so rude sometimes. guess that answers it:(

[quote name='CowPrincess']Y'know, I really don't think people should be expected to justify the choices they make on how to spend THEIR OWN MONEY.[/QUOTE]
I don't think anyone was asking that the choices be justified. Maybe some of us would just like to know the thought processes that go into making these accommodation choices. I've had people ask me how I could take a 30+ day cruise and deal with being in an inside cabin. They weren't criticizing my choice, just wondering what went into making my decision.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am also going on a first time cruise Jan. 4, 2010 and was beginning to worry that I would be uncomfortable at dinner with 4 strangers and not wearing the proper attire (not doing much in formal dinners). I almost cancelled the dinner arrangements as I have never felt inadequate like this before, but after reading this thread I will go back to enjoying my planning without trepidation. I have learned so much reading the threads on this board!!! I do agree though that all does not come across as friendly and does give way to concern as to what to expect. Hubbie and I have waited a long time for this day. I have enough worries about how to get there and what to expect once we do without class status coming into the picture.Thanks all for the great info. I read what I need and ignore the rest.

[quote name='hobbesl0l20']I am also going on a first time cruise Jan. 4, 2010 and was beginning to worry that I would be uncomfortable at dinner with 4 strangers and not wearing the proper attire (not doing much in formal dinners). I almost cancelled the dinner arrangements as I have never felt inadequate like this before, but after reading this thread I will go back to enjoying my planning without trepidation. I have learned so much reading the threads on this board!!! I do agree though that all does not come across as friendly and does give way to concern as to what to expect. Hubbie and I have waited a long time for this day. I have enough worries about how to get there and what to expect once we do without class status coming into the picture.Thanks all for the great info. I read what I need and ignore the rest.[/quote]
You will be just fine at formal dinner. Some folks will be decked out to the nines and others, like me, will take lots of mix and match in black and add a scarf or pretty wrap in a bright color and some jewelry. If you have a nice, black skirt or evening pants, you'll be all set. Or, in any other color you like. There is no need for fancy dresses, unless you like that sort of thing. I always take black, silk evening pants or a long, silk skirt and add this and that. With the airline restrictions on sizes of bags and weight of bags, this economy in planning is necessary. I hope you have a wonderful time! Enjoy!

Archived