How much time is enough between flights?

auntiebarbie

We are booked to depart San Juan PR in late April and return from Norfolk Va after a 7 day cruise on RCCL. We live in Vancouer Canada and dont know all the dos and donts of US air travel. After weeks of research I have narrowed the air choice to 2 options. Both options are with the same airline, including connections, on each leg of the trip. Delta to San Juan and NWA returning from Norfolk. So luggage will be checked through I believe.

We are leaving 2 days before the cruise departs so we can have some time in San Juan.

Option one: Its about $225.00 cheaper for each of us($450.00) and has 2 connections. In Salt Lake there is a 59 minute connection wait and in Atlanta there is a 45 minute wait.

The flight leaves very very early and would probably involve staying at an airport hotel before the flight at a cost of about $150.00.

It arrives in San Juan 2 hours earlier thatn option two.

Option two: Only one connection in Houston with a time between flights of 1 hour 19 minutes.

There are similar time differences on the return home from Norfolk but the cost is about the same for each option.

So is it really worth $300.00 for the one less connection and the longer time between flights? A little peace of mind seems very expensive.

What are the obligations of the airlines (if indeed they have obligations)if there are missed connections. And what about lost luggage?

I see from this forum that some of you have a wealth of information so I would really appreciate your input

So is it really worth $300.00 for the one less connection and the longer time between flights? A little peace of mind seems very expensive.

All life is a set of cost-benefit decisions. Only you can put a value on "peace of mind".

Personally, the SLC connect is fine from my POV. The ATL connect is on the tight side, especially if you have any delays on the inbound and/or have long walks that your aren't that good at negotiating.

What are the obligations of the airlines (if indeed they have obligations)if there are missed connections.
Depends on what the causes are. If you decided to get a meal and missed your flight, well....

If it is beyond the control of the airline, you'll likely be space-available to your destination. If flights are filled, you'll be standing by for a seat. If it was due to a mechanical, they'll be moving you up the list to get rebooked.

The Contract of Carriage spells out exactly what an airline will be responsible for. Go to the DL and NW websites to get the official word.

Have you looked into flying from SEA rather than YVR? Significantly cheaper in many cases, and if you are staying at a hotel anyhow, why not at Sea-Tac?

Two connections versus one means more chances for you or your luggage to misconnect.

Also, for me the 45 minute connection at Atlanta is too tight.

It would absolutely be worth it to me to pay a little more for the 1 stop through IAH.

OP,

The Atlanta connection time is legal but way too risky. I fly through Atlanta on almost every flight I take and would not chance it. Last week it took those of us in the rear of the flight almost twenty minutes to get off the plane. The Atlanta airport has six concourses connected by underground trains that are basically in the middle of each concourse. The trains run every few minutes but chances are you will have to utilize the underground system. It's really a user friendly airport if you have enough time between flights and 45 minutes is not enough.

The last time we flew through Salt Lake City we had quite a hike but I'd book a flight there with an hour's connection time.

I'm sorry the cost diferential is so steep but I would certainly look for alternatives to the SLC-ATL-SJU flight.

Good luck

Have you looked into flying from SEA rather than YVR? Significantly cheaper in many cases, and if you are staying at a hotel anyhow, why not at Sea-Tac?

A good choice and I've done it a few times. Most of the hotels along the old Pacific Coast Highway along the east side of the SeaTac airport give you a week of free parking along with your hotel room (typ $100/night) and a free shuttle to the airport. You're looking at $12/day minimum to park at YVR, or a $60/ea way cab ride from Coquitlam (it's $40 from my place in Bby)

I am almost sold on the SEA to SJU option but American has a good price now from YVR.

How do connect times in Dallas of 1 hour 45 minutes(with a terminal change) and 1 1/2 hours in Los Angeles (also with a terminal change) sound.

Your information is appreciated..until your replies I thought there wasnt much difference between a 45 minute connect and a 59 minute one. Now Im learning which airport is involved is also important.

1 hour and 45 minute at DFW is great (one hour would be fine at DFW because you don't have to exit security to transit between terminals). At LAX, 1.5 hours with a terminal change I'd usually say no due to the fact that typically you have to go back through security to change terminals BUT it would depend on which terminals. Are you looking at the flight from YVR to LAX operated by Alaska then switching to a flight to DFW operated by AA?

The 1 and 1/2 hour connection is on the return from Norfolk. Its ORF to STL (a 3hr connection) and then STL to LAX with the 1 1/2 hour connection. STL to LAX is American and the LAX to YVR is operated by Alaska for American.

Thank you!

Don't forget that your personal time has value also.

$500 flight that has two layovers and a total travel time of 14 hours?

or $650 flight that has 1 layover and a total travel time of 8 hours?

No question in my book...$650 for me

Archived