For Those that Visit the Maitre d' after boarding the ship.....

MrPete

Other than requesting a time change because you didn't get what you requested (early vs late), what other reason do you go to the dining room?

Request window seats? Size of table? Location?

Do they accomodate you?

When we (3 of us) went on our RCL cruise we went to check out our seating assignment - just so we would know what direction to go when we entered the dining room. By doing so we discovered that because the ship was so full (June cruise) they had opened up some "Nook-Areas" off to the side of the dining room and thrown some tableclothes over what appeared to be folding tables - very dreary. Even though they were on the outside of the ship there were no windows. We felt like we would feel very "disconnected" from the dining room atmosphere being stuffed in this room. There was better seating then this is the casual eatery. So we went to the Maitre'd and told him that although the dining time was fine that we perferred to be in the thick of things. After a few clicks he informed us that we had gone from a 6 top in the DUNGEON to a 10 top by the window - very nice :D .

Just got off the Pride on Sunday, and was travelling with a group of 27. One of my friends has medical conditions which require him to stay away from many things including pepper. They completely accomodated him, going over the menu with him the night before, each night, and preparing his meals to his specifications. After visiting the Maitre'D on the first day they set him up with a special dining room manager who visited his table every night.

Linda

After we saw where our table was located -- right at the doors and was a table for four, we wanted something farther in the back, with less traffic and a table for eight because we like to meet and talk to a lot of people -- we asked for a change and got it.

On our last cruise (Spirit 4/04) we wanted a table for two. We went straight to the Maitre'D (Manuel who in my opinion is the best we've ever encountered) who made it happen in 10 seconds. Very accomodating.

I check the size of our table. We like a larger group. :)

Same Here.... We also like to be in the center of the Dining Room to be in the middle of all the "performances." They had us at a great window table, but it just wasn't what we wanted for the experience, so Babu on the Destiny moved us quickly and without hesitation.

OK, sounds like they Maitre'd usually "makes it happen" for you folks. Question is: Did you tip him/her right then when you were making the request? If so, how much is appropriate when requesting a table change? Or did you wait until the end of the cruise and tip then?

No tips in advance for us.... In fact, this was the only reason he received a tip from us on this trip. He did his job otherwise; this was a special request that warranted a tip IMO... Most of the time that I've seen, they just show an interest in you the last night with their hands out. Babu on the Destiny was great and personable all week long- and changed our table for us.

On our last cruise (Spirit 4/04) we wanted a table for two. We went straight to the Maitre'D (Manuel who in my opinion is the best we've ever encountered) who made it happen in 10 seconds. Very accomodating.

Well that's encouraging news to me becuase I am planning on asking for the same thing on my cruise, but I had no idea whether it was a request that was likely to be granted.

Now at least I have some hope that they'll be able to accomodate us.

Well that's encouraging news to me becuase I am planning on asking for the same thing on my cruise, but I had no idea whether it was a request that was likely to be granted.

Now at least I have some hope that they'll be able to accomodate us.

We had late seating and there were several two-person tables empty for the entire cruise. Maybe it was just our cruise (Ensenada to Hawaii) but the request wasn't hard at all. It might be harder on standard 7-day cruises as this was the first time we requested it. We're going to try again this April on the Legend and see what happens.

Archived