Just wondering....does your TA call and wish you bon voyage?

cacj

Usually get a bottle of wine delivered, but never hear anything after the final payment is due. Because of these boards, I seem to know more about the cruise line then she does. I initiate all the communication, (where are my luggage tags, did you get me reimbursed for the fuel charges etc....) I think in the future I will just call myself.

This one is really funny....and I can sure relate to it! Seems like we all have various relationships with our TA's and they with us.

hrm ... we booked two cruises with our TA ... March Break for our family of 3, and end of August to Alaska for hubby and I for our 15th. Hubby has called her once or twice to ask questions and feels very put out, we get a lot of "poor me" type responses.

As our cruise approaches, hubby went to get our papers and she told us even though we didn't book air with her she had a travel bag for us (turns out it was the free plastic bag you get at the airport anyways), then proceeded to tell hubby that we were "nuts" to drive 4 hours to the airport (meant $480 for all 3 as opposed to $700 each for airfare), then when he told her we had a hotel and what we paid for it (booked it on priceline, it's either a sheraton or hampton can't remember) she said "I hope it doesn't have bugs"

I realize TAs make their money by booking things but we found that went a bit far and won't be booking with her again. Actually ... hubby is seriously considering cancelling our Alaska with her and getting it moved over to our own name through Princess

Ok, one stray question.

How did you guys find these amazing travel agents you use?

I know you arnt suposed to advertise on here, but was it like a Yellow Pages look through the Travel section?

More importantly, how can you find a travel agent that specializes in Cruises?

When I booked my first cruise, I went to a travel agent that just poped up Expedia and didnt seem to know anything about cruises.. I never have used a TA since.

In this day and economy it behoves a TA to supply good customer service ... sometimes that's the only difference between agents.

Before I was an agent' date=' I never received anything from an agent I used (either brick & mortor or online) ... no pre-cruise call, no gift on board, no post-cruise follow-up. It taught me a whole lot.[/font']

Now .... some clients think, 1) TAs are making a whole LOT of commission (nope), 2) TAs have some kind of magic store they can use to provide freebies for their clients on board (unless they're a huge volume agency that is not true) 3) that little gifts don't come straight out of the TAs commission (it DOES!).

But, I take care of my clients ... a whole lot of pre-cruise time getting them prepared for the best cruise experience (making sure their needs are met on board, answering all their questions ... even questions they don't know they have yet:rolleyes:) .... usually a nice little gift of some kind for them on board .... post-cruise follow-up (as nice as it would to be able to sail on every ship on every cruise line, I can't :o... so I need that follow-up to find out about the ships, cruiselines, etc.)

Another thing ... I LOVE finding discounted prices for my clients. The cruiselines will never call me and let me know there is a discounted price, I have to dog the pricing myself and initiate the discount. This, of course, cuts into commission, but it makes for very happy clients! :)

All of this just to say ... appreciate a good TA ... they are working very hard for you. If you don't find one that provides good customer service, there are those out there that do!

~dianne

WE think alike and we know riches do not come from being a travel agent. right?

LOL

Nita

hrm ... we booked two cruises with our TA ... March Break for our family of 3, and end of August to Alaska for hubby and I for our 15th. Hubby has called her once or twice to ask questions and feels very put out, we get a lot of "poor me" type responses.

As our cruise approaches, hubby went to get our papers and she told us even though we didn't book air with her she had a travel bag for us (turns out it was the free plastic bag you get at the airport anyways), then proceeded to tell hubby that we were "nuts" to drive 4 hours to the airport (meant $480 for all 3 as opposed to $700 each for airfare), then when he told her we had a hotel and what we paid for it (booked it on priceline, it's either a sheraton or hampton can't remember) she said "I hope it doesn't have bugs"

I realize TAs make their money by booking things but we found that went a bit far and won't be booking with her again. Actually ... hubby is seriously considering cancelling our Alaska with her and getting it moved over to our own name through Princess

and you didn't like her, I wonder why???? lOL

how sad, wonder if she realizes what she lost..

Nita

and you didn't like her, I wonder why???? lOL

how sad, wonder if she realizes what she lost..

Nita

I know :( We are averaging about one vacation a year (two this year) but ....

She is part of the same networking group I am (I make chocolate) so I see her once a week ... maybe that's why a bit of the familiarity like emails that she was working late etc. but those comments went a little far.

Leigh-Anne

No contact; no tips; no hand-holding...but I love it. I'm willing to give that up for the absolutely lowest fare on any cruise. We always book $30 to $60 (inside) and $50 to $80 (outside) per day less than any other TA I've ever found. Cruising is all they do: they buy up large books of rooms at the lowest price, and you get exactly what you pay for. I've never booked a balcony before...maybe for a Hawaiian or Mediterranean cruise, but I love a deal! (My next NCL Canada/New England cruise: $649 for 10 nights, not incl. air).

What more could I ask for? All the above (contact, tips, hand-holding) is what I love most about CC, and your information is accurate, timely, and most of all FREE! I appreciate all that you do!

I know some people love the relationship with their TA, but I would much rather have a great relationship with my cruising passengers.

Duane

Got nothin'. Only calls I got were to let me know the office would be closed on such and such a date and I needed to pay my final payment earlier than expected.

Will probably, and thanks to the folks here on CC and the great info, book my cruise direct with NCL. Just sayin.........

My 1st cruise was through a TA & we got to our cabin to find a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne (I don't drink & only had my 8-year old w/ me), from my TA. Although she didn't discourage me from NCL (my very 1st cruise ever) she warned me about some reviews she had heard from others. She specifically asked me to contact her upon my return, which I did, and made sure she understood whatever rumors she had heard about NCL were very unfair.

My 2nd cruise was through CAS & we had goodies dropped off at our cabin each night. Never heard from them again, but we got our money's worth anyway.

This year at Xmas I heard from my TA after 18 months of my 1st cruise. They just moved their offices so I guess she wanted to be sure I knew where she was for future reference:cool:

On only 1 of my past 5 cruises my TA (who is also my cousin) wasn't sitting next to me during sail away. That one time she had set up a last minute cruise for me. Of course she checked in with me right before and after. She is the best!!!

My TA sends some type of gift either chocolate covered strawberries and the last cruise, cookies with a Carnival Freddy stuffed animal for my daughter. And she text messaged us "Bon Voyage and enjoy cookies". I got that message while sitting in the line for the giant parking garage at the Port of New Orleans. Gave me something to look forward to while the cars moved very so ssssllllllooooowwwwwllllyy.

Ours has never called before. Once we board there is always a bottle of wine. Then during the week we will get several other things from her. Then when we get home she will email us asking about the cruise.

Archived