RSVP Alaska AUG 09

mikec5426

Just checking in - my partner Greg and I will be on the RSVP Alaska in August. This will be our first with RSVP. We have several with Atlantis as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

I'm probably too new to be an official greeter here, but in any case, welcome Nick!

I was thinking about how gay cruises might differ from general cruises, and it occurred to me that maybe the demand for the services of shipboard chaplains might be different--are there shipboard chaplains, and if so, do they trade the Roman Catholic priest for an MCC minister when RSVP books the ship? Would the chaplains be authorized to perform weddings on board while in Canadian waters? Probably Palin doesn't like that kind of thing going on in her state, but British Columbia is different, being the home of the Diocese of New Westminster. Not that I am actually thinking about doing this--more interested in the laws of my home jurisdiction (Germany)--but as a theoretical question it is intriguing... Anyone have any experiences with shipboard chaplains on gay cruises? Since we are boarding and disembarking on Sunday, Sunday morning worship is probably not an issue, but maybe with thousands of partying men on board, couples counseling might become necessary from time to time... :Dhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

first cruise, whole new world. can we take bottled water and/or our own sodas on board? one of us is water drinking diabetic, one is soda addicted! we are on royal carribean, mariner of the seas doing the coastal california cruise on may 31. we were going to mexico but they switched us. we are overjoyed at our itinerary tho. thanks for any helpful messages

It is not for all cabins. We are in a cheap cabin, and our discount is just $150. Percentagewise, that might be a bigger discount, though. :-)

A small cabin would have been fine for us..I was mainly worried about having more space since my partner is paraplegic. The suites look more roomy for him to navigate

How come there is more chatter here about the RSVP Caribbean cruise than about the Alaska one?

The Caribbean cruises happen every year around the same time in February and it has a lot of repeat customers so there is a lot of continuity. The next year's message thread is started as soon we disembark. The Alaska cruises happen every other year so it does not lend itself to the same level of participation.

first cruise, whole new world. can we take bottled water and/or our own sodas on board? one of us is water drinking diabetic, one is soda addicted! we are on royal carribean, mariner of the seas doing the coastal california cruise on may 31. we were going to mexico but they switched us. we are overjoyed at our itinerary tho. thanks for any helpful messages

Are you asking about the RSVP Alaska cruise on Holland America or a Royal Caribean cruise? If it is RCI, you may want to check the threads for adice or ask the question there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I am not familiar with RCI's policies but on HAL you can brings as much water, soda, wine and champgane on board as you wish.

Just checking in - my partner Greg and I will be on the RSVP Alaska in August. This will be our first with RSVP. We have several with Atlantis as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

Nick & Greg,

Welcome from a veteran RSVP cruiser, though 1st time with them to Alaska.

And Conrad any and all welcomes are welcome ? :confused: ? ?

For that matter . . . Welcome Conrad (there, now it's official) ;)

I'm probably too new to be an official greeter here, but in any case, welcome Nick!

I was thinking about how gay cruises might differ from general cruises, and it occurred to me that maybe the demand for the services of shipboard chaplains might be different--are there shipboard chaplains, and if so, do they trade the Roman Catholic priest for an MCC minister when RSVP books the ship? Would the chaplains be authorized to perform weddings on board while in Canadian waters? Probably Palin doesn't like that kind of thing going on in her state, but British Columbia is different, being the home of the Diocese of New Westminster. Not that I am actually thinking about doing this--more interested in the laws of my home jurisdiction (Germany)--but as a theoretical question it is intriguing... Anyone have any experiences with shipboard chaplains on gay cruises? Since we are boarding and disembarking on Sunday, Sunday morning worship is probably not an issue, but maybe with thousands of partying men on board, couples counseling might become necessary from time to time...

Conrad,

They don't boot the regular chaplain off the ship, but there are probably more than one passengers on board with some sort of religious credentials, myself included. (though I don't do marriages)

RSVP frequently hosts a commitment/re-commitment ceremony on board. Sometimes the Captain officiates.

Most people don't realize that not all Captains can perform marriages on every ship.

It depends on the ship's registry, the Captain's credentials and even the itinerary.

However, your question regarding Canadian waters is most intriguing. Assuming the Captain is credentialed and Canadian Law authorizes Captains in domestic waters (and Sarah Palin has her binoculars pointed away from Russia and towards ships just beyond the Canadian border), it could be a lot of fun to wave at her (with any assortment of fingers and gestures you like) or toss her daughter the bouquets. :p

How come there is more chatter here about the RSVP Caribbean cruise than about the Alaska one?

As Peter mentioned (in different words), we CC RSVP Caribbeanites are absolutely addicted to "our week" of sun and fun and to each other. What a group ! Come and join us, it may change your life. :cool:

We had more than 100 CC'ers at our Meet & Greet on the Eurodam.

The CC board is our way of keeping that spirit alive for the other 51 weeks of the year. (and it DOES get lively :eek:)

I have another question. :) ..is there a place that displays pictures of the specific cabins including the veranda and sq footage?

There are only the Deck Plans and general photos of the class of cabin.

You could ask on the general HAL boards here on CC if anyone has stayed in a particular cabin and has photos. I have read others doing just that.

The Verandah cabins are pretty much carbon copies of each other with the exception of the Handicapped Accessible ones and a very few where the ship sides cut in and out. And this only affects the balcony shape AND some of these are precisely the Handicapped ones.

Each class of Suite is also mostly identical, with the exceptions of the stern corners of the ship.

The most variety exists in the inside cabins. Some of the standard ones can actually have more square footage than the "large" ones. And there are various configurations of the rooms depending on location within the ship.

If you go to http://www.gaycruisepictures.com/ and browse a lot, some people include photos of their cabins, but you probably won't know which cabin it is.

Hope this is of some help,

r.

If you go to http://www.gaycruisepictures.com/ and browse a lot, some people include photos of their cabins, but you probably won't know which cabin it is.

Hope this is of some help,

r.

Thanks so much!...I did go to the site you mentioned and did not find pictures of our cabin but the pics on the site made me forget what I was looking for anyway LOL

We changed our room to an aft deluxe cabin on Deck 6, and I wanted to see the difference between the two. I will do as you suggest and post a question on a Holland America board in case someone has the pics of it.

thanks again

Hi guys,

I will be joining you on the Alaska cruise along with a good friend of mine. We are both single. This will be my seventh RSVP cruise, my second to Alaska, and my first time on Holland America.

The best part of sailing with RSVP for me is the entertainment. Instead of the usual cruise line entertainment, RSVP brings on headliners and great nightclub acts. I was just on the Mexican Riviera cruise and Debbie Reynolds was on board. Also, regular RSVPers will know Amy & Freddie, and I hope they will be joining us to Alaska. The entertainment for our ship should be posted on the website by 30 days before sailing, hopefully sooner.

As with the Mexican Riviera cruise, RSVP can arrange an informal get together in one of the lounges the first day out for members of this Cruise Critic board. I can request the same on this sailing if enough of us are interested. On the other cruise, some of the senior hotel officers came in to introduce themselves and join us.

I am looking forward to meeting you on board.

Jamie (originally from NJ but not the one in the previous picture! lol)

As with the Mexican Riviera cruise, RSVP can arrange an informal get together in one of the lounges the first day out for members of this Cruise Critic board. I can request the same on this sailing if enough of us are interested. On the other cruise, some of the senior hotel officers came in to introduce themselves and join us.

I have arranged a coupe of CC meet-and-greets on RSVP cruises and can give you some leads. Email me at boytjieny at yahoo dot com.

We are really getting excited about this first cruise...and finding out we still have a lot of preparation ahead of us.

Monitoring the weather in Alaska, I guess we can expect a max temp around 60 degrees. We live in Houston, so we mainly own shorts and t-shirts :>)

Guess we should invest in some new clothes and at least a windbreaker or two.

On embarkation day, how early do they let you board?

Is it easy to find a porter or someone to help with luggage, etc?

Monitoring the weather in Alaska

Don't bother... it will change in 5 minutes. :D Bring a bit of everything: warm, cold, dry. Gloves and a knit hat may come in handy; dress in layers.

On embarkation day, how early do they let you board?

From around 11:30 am.

Is it easy to find a porter or someone to help with luggage, etc?

Never had a problem with that.

thanks...... and gloves really? We can get some, no problem..but I don't think I have ever owned any winter gloves

I really appreciate all the answers to my questions..has taken some pressure off my poor travel agent who already thinks I am nuts.

I also want to take the bf on something fun..like the dog sled tour...but it may be too much trouble to get him to the camp...besides, our pups are Huskies, so we can see them anytime :>) Either way..we are really looking forward to this trip

When we went last time at end of Sept, we did bring gloves but never used them. Of course we're a little more used to cooler weather than you might be. Probably a gamble if you'll actually use them. If you do decide to dog sled think you might be glad to have them with you.

thanks...... and gloves really? We can get some, no problem..but I don't think I have ever owned any winter gloves.

Cruising around Glacier Bay can be very cold and you want to spend most of it outside. When we were there in 2007 it was 39°F. (Then the next day in Sitka it was in the 70's!)

I really appreciate all the answers to my questions..has taken some pressure off my poor travel agent who already thinks I am nuts.

That's why you have this support group also known as Cruise Critic! Ask away.

I also want to take the bf on something fun..like the dog sled tour...but it may be too much trouble to get him to the camp...besides, our pups are Huskies, so we can see them anytime :>) Either way..we are really looking forward to this trip

Helicopter landing on a glacier. Totally worthwhile if you can afford it, a once in a lifetime experience.

I will do this for him....the helicopter ride is not as bad as I thought..I think it is a 4 glacier tour but only lands on one glacier for 20 mins...(he will not be able to unload at the glacier without his chair, but 20 mins is not too long to wait) He just wants to take some great pictures.....in Hawaii, he shot photos from the copter and I was supposed to shoot the video. When he commented on the quality of the video I said I did the Best I could with my eyes closed :>)

You know the feeling you get when you take a very fast elevator? This is how felt the whole time on the helicopter in Hawaii

I am going to be contacting RSVP to make sure that they will arrange a Cruise Critic get together on the ship. It would be helpful to know how many guys would be interested since they will want to have some type of count to know in which venue to hold it. This is a really important time for any of you lurkers out there who haven't posted yet to reply now and be counted. Besides, all of us here would like to meet you! Thanks for your cooperation.

Jamie

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous posting. I would like any of you out there who are interested in a Cruise Critic meet and greet on board the Westerdam to actually reply here and be counted. Once I have an approximate idea of how many of you would like to attend, I will contact RSVP and request one.

Jamie

Archived