RSVP Alaska AUG 09

mikec5426

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous posting. I would like any of you out there who are interested in a Cruise Critic meet and greet on board the Westerdam to actually reply here and be counted. Once I have an approximate idea of how many of you would like to attend, I will contact RSVP and request one.

Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for arranging a M&G for the CC group. :)

I will definitely be there.

The most important thing is the timing to not conflict with other events.

Peter (Boytjie) took care of coordinating the one on our recent Eurodam Caribbean cruise, and Holland America (not RSVP) seemed to be the official host.

We had over 110 sign up for this M&G. (at least 90 some actually showed)

HAL provided hors d'oeuvres and Champaign.

The Cruise Director and other officials attended and spoke.

Peter was generous enough to have party gifts for us as well. (Lime green leis to coordinate with the theme of one of the dances)

Boytjie will gladly give you the contact names for whomever to contact at HAL for setting up the M&G. (notice how I volunteered HIS help ;) )

Another CC'er was ambitious enough to make up a CC directory for the cruise as well. It had photos, our CC user name, cabin No.s, emails and addresses if anyone wanted them included. The previous year it even included various shore excursions we were going on so that you could introduce yourself to others on the same excursions.

And as for Amy and Freddie, I can't imagine a RSVP cruise without them. I probably would NOT be on it if they weren't.

Thanks again,

r.

Boytjie will gladly give you the contact names for whomever to contact at HAL for setting up the M&G. (notice how I volunteered HIS help ;) )

Thanks for the offer. I have the contact name already. It may have been Boytjie that gave it to me actually. It has to be done through RSVP, not HAL. I arranged it for the last RSVP cruise to Mexico. Only about 15 showed up, so I am not sure that we will get the kind of perks they give when almost 100 show up! NCL did not provide anything, but several of the senior staff showed up to chat which was very interesting and appreciated by our group. The timing was determined by RSVP, and it didn't conflict with anything major. They held it in the late afternoon the first full day out, which was a day at sea.

If I don't get much of a response here, the few of us that are interested may have to just meet informally. We can decide that later if needed. C'mon guys! Wouldn't it be fun for us CCers to get together and meet? Let me here from you!

Jamie

Thanks for the offer. I have the contact name already. It may have been Boytjie that gave it to me actually. It has to be done through RSVP, not HAL. I arranged it for the last RSVP cruise to Mexico. Only about 15 showed up, so I am not sure that we will get the kind of perks they give when almost 100 show up! NCL did not provide anything, but several of the senior staff showed up to chat which was very interesting and appreciated by our group. The timing was determined by RSVP, and it didn't conflict with anything major. They held it in the late afternoon the first full day out, which was a day at sea.

If I don't get much of a response here, the few of us that are interested may have to just meet informally. We can decide that later if needed. C'mon guys! Wouldn't it be fun for us CCers to get together and meet? Let me here from you!

Jamie

Indeed, it was me. :) I arrange it through RSVP and they try to have it early in the cruise and not conflicting with other events, if possible. RSVP must then pass the info on to HAL because I have not had to deal with them at all - the first time I just asked Tom if HAL officers could be invited and they showed up and treated us to eats and drinks. HAL has a good history with Cruise Critic in general.

You group may be smaller but I am sure it will still be handled well by HAL.

8 weeks from today we will be boarding the Westerdam and beginning our Alaskan adventure. It's going to be fun.

I look forward to meeting all of you guys at the CC meet and greet.

See you soon!

Hob ie.

My partner and I would come as well. Anyone keeping score of how many we have "registered" here in the roll call?

Thanks for replying. I am keeping a running total, but anyone else is free to do the same. I was going to give it another few days to see who else chimes in and then let them know at RSVP.

8 weeks from today we will be boarding the Westerdam and beginning our Alaskan adventure. It's going to be fun.

I look forward to meeting all of you guys at the CC meet and greet.

See you soon!

Hob ie.

Hobie,

If you are getting on the Westerdam in 8 weeks you will be on a VERY different cruise. :eek:

Now, if you want to join the rest of us from this CC board in 12 weeks you will be most welcome. ;)

r.

Was finally catching up on and got all excited when I read 8 weeks...until I kept reading....darn:eek: Oh well, at least it's getting closer. Bruce & I plan on attending CC meeting also.

Mike

Jamie

Count my partner Bob and I in for a CC get-together. We've been way behind looking for others on the Alaska cruise. Did see a few people on the Facebook group, but the information from people here who have been on Alaska cruises before has been very helpful.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Is there anyone else from the New York area going?:)

Bill and Bob

Good to see some more people weighing in on being on the cruise...I am trying to convince some friends to come as well since I read the article at this link......

http://www.professionaltravelguide.com/Travel-News/Cruise/Cruise-charters-feeling-recessions-effects-p2135111

we are getting more organized and hopefully will have everything ready by 8/23 !

I compiled a list of everyone who posted somewhere in this thread that they are going on this cruise. I assume that the turnout at the Cruise Critic meet will probably be a little less. This is what I have so far:

bayotter (that's me!)- Jamie and Howard, both single.

Mikec5426- Mike & Gary, and maybe Sam?

Hobie- Glenn

Howard-nysf- Howard & friend. (Hi Howard, it was nice meeting you in Palm Springs!)

rnmikey- Mike & Bruce

Tamaracboy- Reuel

rbyrd2531- representing 2

ConradMZ- representing 2

nsdfw68- Greg & Nick

cnjfrogs- representing 2

NYMetsFans- Bill & Bob

If I have anything wrong, or you would like to add/delete/change anything to this list, let me know. I will be telling RSVP soon that we have about 20 guys from Cruise Critic interested in meeting.

Jamie

Well nothing is certain yet but I am pretty close of booking this trip together with my best travel friend from Rotterdam. It really depends on a family situation healthwise if we can go or not.

I've done Alaska as a ship's crew member years ago on Princess and done a couple of RSVP's in the Caribbean but never went up north the gay way.

Where and what is a good place to stay overnight in Seattle? (Never been there before)

I imagine the entertainment a little more subdued than in the Caribbean but it's something else for a change :) (I am not such a party person anyway :D... as long as they have church bingo..)

As far as a cabin I was thinking of taking an inside so extra money can be spend on excursions. Right now I am in contact with Dan Howell so I hope he'll be also offering excursions like we had in the Caribbean.

Let me know if you have info

Reint

Well nothing is certain yet but I am pretty close of booking this trip together with my best travel friend from Rotterdam. It really depends on a family situation healthwise if we can go or not.

I've done Alaska as a ship's crew member years ago on Princess and done a couple of RSVP's in the Caribbean but never went up north the gay way.

Where and what is a good place to stay overnight in Seattle? (Never been there before)

I imagine the entertainment a little more subdued than in the Caribbean but it's something else for a change :) (I am not such a party person anyway :D... as long as they have church bingo..)

As far as a cabin I was thinking of taking an inside so extra money can be spend on excursions. Right now I am in contact with Dan Howell so I hope he'll be also offering excursions like we had in the Caribbean.

Let me know if you have info

Reint

Hi Reint

On the Amsterdam in 2007 it was more subdued than on the Caribbean cruises. It could be due to various factors such as a slightly older crowd and no place to have large outdoor parties. The entertainment was low-key - Amy and Freddy were the main act IIRC, but that was also when RSVP were going through major financial problmes and most liekly couldn;t book a big acts.

We enjoyed it tremedously anyway. It was actually nice to have a slower pace and have more time to hang out with people.

And there was Church Bingo! Having an underwear party in the theater just seemed a bit odd: peopel in uderwear dancing on stage whiel others sit in teh setas watching. :eek:

We stayed at the Mediterranean Inn in the Queen Anne district near the Space Needle (and near the new Pier 91, I believe). It was a nice enough hotel, not in the city center itself and easy enough to get to.

We had a fully obstructed oceav view on the Lower Promenade deck - with easy access to the largest balcony on the ship. ;) For Alaksa I would be OK with not having a balcony cabin.

If you have not doen it before, do an excursion with a helicopter landing on a glacier - simply amazing.

For some campy fun book the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan - it was a riot!

RSVP is offering discounted rates at the Marriott Renaissance downtown. If enough guys book this, it will be party central the night before the cruise. Contact your travel agent or RSVP for details. Or you could use Purple Roofs to find a gay or gay-friendly B&B. I'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt since I have a special deal there.

Hello, I just got the final RSVP bill today. I and a few of my friends will make this an enjoyable trip. Does any one know of a very good day trips? also we are staying and extra two day in Seattle for siteseeing - any good Points of Interest? Thanks Much, Everett

Hello, I just got the final RSVP bill today. I and a few of my friends will make this an enjoyable trip. Does any one know of a very good day trips? also we are staying and extra two day in Seattle for siteseeing - any good Points of Interest? Thanks Much, Everett

my personal trainer used to live in Seattle and he tells me I must go see Pikes Place fish market where they throw the fish to each other when you order it....I am sure there are better choices though :>)

The Underground Seattle Tour is fun and interesting. I really enjoyed it last time I was there. Do a search and check it out.

FYI, I contacted RSVP and they will be scheduling a Cruise Critic get together. Look for the time and place when the daily schedule is released. Hope to see you all there.

Reint

Reint,

Inside, outside, balcony, obstructed, upside, downside, anyway . . . . it would be great to see you again onboard.

This is my first Alaska cruise. There are a few CC'ers from the Eurodam who are also sailing.

Seattle is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. You should like it.

Really hope you can make it,

r.

my personal trainer used to live in Seattle and he tells me I must go see Pikes Place fish market where they throw the fish to each other when you order it....I am sure there are better choices though :>)

Pikes Place is worth it :) And you can always pick up a great bouquet of flowers for cheap to take on board. A lot of people were doing it!

speaking of entertainment. What type will they probably have for this trip?

I read somewhere they have a costume party..anyone on CC good at making costumes? I was hoping me and my partner could be wolves...(he could be a wolf in a wheelchair, injured when our pack was attacked from one of those helicopter hunting trips by Sarah Palin) just to give it an Alaska tie in :>)

speaking of entertainment. What type will they probably have for this trip?

I read somewhere they have a costume party..anyone on CC good at making costumes? I was hoping me and my partner could be wolves...(he could be a wolf in a wheelchair, injured when our pack was attacked from one of those helicopter hunting trips by Sarah Palin) just to give it an Alaska tie in :>)

Very clever, and very funny! There is almost always a costume party. The actual line up of entertainment will be posted on the "Entertainment" section of the website, usually around 30 days before sailing. Also, shortly before the cruise, you will be emailed a day-to-day schedule.

Sorry guys I have not been on here much so just reading the thread. We would be interested in attending the CC meet and great as well. We are so ready for this vacation. When the rates dropped we even upgraded to a deluxe suite aft on deck 6 for the extra perks and room.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on ship.

Very clever, and very funny! There is almost always a costume party. The actual line up of entertainment will be posted on the "Entertainment" section of the website, usually around 30 days before sailing. Also, shortly before the cruise, you will be emailed a day-to-day schedule.

thanks Jamie,now why couldn't I be one of those creative gays who could whip up a costume out of things already in the suite....(perhaps a couple of towel animals held on with Purell) :>)

and Nick we upgraded to an aft suite on deck six as well....I am not sure how thin the walls are, I hope you bring your earplugs. (we both snore)

Archived