Serving Size: Did you find them to be way too SMALL in the MDR?

kooljamming

OMG WOW!

I never saw anything like that on the Emerald. Hope that's not something else I missed :eek:

Midnight buffets are things of the past. This is just the begining. They also do ice carvings and elbaorate fountains. Some of Carnival longer cruises still have them...maybe?

2122477500101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2912094960101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2523335260101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Midnight buffets are things of the past. This is just the begining. They also do ice carvings and elbaorate fountains. Some of Carnival longer cruises still have them...maybe?

2122477500101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2912094960101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2523335260101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

My first few cruises had midnight buffets and they were spectacular... quite a show of food but also herds of people and long lines....I'd rather have the 24 hour buffets that Princess have now.

Me thinks you could be right:p:p

Carnival Midnight Buffet.

I don't eat after certain time, impossible for me to sleep.

I like to be surrounded by water however I can't swim. I like to be surround my food, yet I eat ONLY when I am really hungry.

2040241020101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

They did have something similar set up at the Horizon on the Island Princess during a Hawaii trip.

Ask your waiter for "man sized" portions and they will load your plate with either a bigger serving or double the portion without double garnishes etc on a single plate - its better than ordering 2 of a dish and risk looking like an epuicure or a bit porcine and your table companions dont have to wait while the 2nd dish is brought.

Ask your waiter for "man sized" portions and they will load your plate with either a bigger serving or double the portion without double garnishes etc on a single plate - its better than ordering 2 of a dish and risk looking like an epuicure or a bit porcine and your table companions dont have to wait while the 2nd dish is brought.

I did just that one time with the prime rib (which is known to be as thick as a piece of sliced roast beef & the piece of meat I received was almost as tender as leather. I realize I could have sent it back but I sat there hacking away at it. That's about the meal I won't order an extra size serving of before checking how good the quality is.

For the most part I enjoyed the meals. Well I enjoy most meals I don't have to cook or that is not wrapped in paper and served with fries:p. On Sapphire Princess I was disappointed with the serving size. I am a growing girl (back to front) and like my meals to land in my stomach and straighten my back, in ONE shot. The food landed well but without the extra jolt to the back.

This is not a meal for a growing girl:p

2224530390101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

A bit overexposed and out of focus, but still looks yummy :D

It makes business sense with a multi course meals to keep the portions to the smaller side. With all you can eat morning, afternoon, and night it makes sense to start small at the end of the day. Imagine the waste that might be incurred if all the courses were supersized American style. More people would be throwing away portions and generating waste versus going smaller portions and providing a second round to those with a more healthy appetite.

For me personally with the multi-course breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner the portion sizes are just right ;)

Someone is understanding my needs....MAN SIZE it, without the extras! I don't need my clories spread out or take too long coming to me. I understand this might NOT be best for people who spend their day snacking or like all the courses that accompany a nice meal. I just need a MAN SIZE meal:p

The prime rib in the MDR was mediocre, the one in the buffet was fantastic.

Someone is understanding my needs....MAN SIZE it, without the extras! I don't need my clories spread out or take too long coming to me. I understand this might NOT be best for people who spend their day snacking or like all the courses that accompany a nice meal. I just need a MAN SIZE meal:p

The prime rib in the MDR was mediocre, the one in the buffet was fantastic.

I am a bit confused on this thread. Why, if you know the portions are too small for you, why don't you just order double of each coarse? :confused:

I am a bit confused on this thread. Why, if you know the portions are too small for you, why don't you just order double of each coarse? :confused:

I am trying to be efficient and have everything on one plate:p Double orders would create twice as many dishes to prepare, serve, clear and wash. If I 'MAN SIZE' the meal I can get enough on the plate without the extra work for the waiters.

I find the veggies to always be on the skimpy side but the main courses are just slightly on the smaller side to prevent waste.

I agree, on the last cruise veggie servings did seem a bit on the light side. However as a meal I thought there was always more than enough.

I am trying to be efficient and have everything on one plate:p Double orders would create twice as many dishes to prepare, serve, clear and wash. If I 'MAN SIZE' the meal I can get enough on the plate without the extra work for the waiters.

Sounds good in theory, but I have never known them to do that. Remember, they plate up the food for the waiters and don't create each order individually. :(

Think of the man hours and the time dinner would take if they filled each dinner order on an individulal basis? I think they would rather wash the plate. ;)

Many years ago the head Chef of what was the original NCL Sky told me that the midnight buffets were going to be discontinued, except for a chocolate one, because.. there was food available all day long on the ships, inspite of smaller pieces of pastry there was an enormous amount of wastage.. and the extra $$ could best be used towards the main meals.. I myself at buffets waste too much food.. Many of the cruise ships now have trays of sandwiches and pastries available through out ship about 11:00 p.m. and onward.

One thing I can absolutely say is that I've never come away hungry from a meal on a cruise ship. I'm glad they don't serve an enormous portion. I like being able to try other courses and if the main course was an obscene amount of food as in some restaurants I wouldn't want to do that.

This would be my advice to the OP, as well. While I'm not seeking larger portions, I always have my main course served just the way I order it. I don't eat potatoes or rice and don't like the "mystery" mixed or mushy veggies that appear on the plate (unless it's asparagus or broccoli), so I ask the waiter for only the meat/fish/poultry with a lovely Princess sauce on the side.I have always been accommodated, and more often than not, the portion of protein is increased slightly, even though I don't request it: an extra lamb chop, a few more scallops or shrimp, etc.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Has anyone checked Princess's Corporate Social Responsibility Policy? perhaps in amongst all of the stuff about being carbon neutral etc etc there is also something about obesity:eek::p:rolleyes:

Would you please check and let me know. Clearly I am a decent meal away from being obese:eek::p:rolleyes: Either way, I am from a culture where being fat is a good thing, because bones are for dogs.

Would you please check and let me know. Clearly I am a decent meal away from being obese:eek::p:rolleyes: Either way, I am from a culture where being fat is a good thing, because bones are for dogs.

kooljamming if the pictures you have in your signature and in your web links are of you trust me you are MANY MANY meals away from being obese! Just go ahead and order several selections no one will think any the less of you for it. BTW, since they don't wash the dishes by hand the machine won't care how many plates you use! :D

We don't eat multiple courses. We refer to have a main course only. We order vegetables along with fish or meat. Since we only order our main dish we request the serving size we want. Works for us. This way we get a lot more vegetables than is generally the case. Basically we eat the same way we do at home.

Ask for what you want, we do. You are paying it you might as well get what you want. :)

Don't understand the issue here. Just us Americans used to a Platter of food in the Restaurants I guess. If you are worried about portions sizes, just order two dinners, or two Appetizers, or both. Most women and children with normal appetites will not have an issue. Those of us who can pound down a bigger meal should just order two. Many times I would order one dinner and then a Pasta dish as a side, or two dinners and just eat the starches and vegies I liked off of on of them, etc. Or just order an extra side of a vegetable or whatever. Never a problem so this is really a non issue.

We just returned from the Diamond, Auckland to Sydney.

Food was great. My husband and I are not very big. Most nights I did not know what to have so I would pick one thing and then our waiter was put a selection of different main courses on a plate in the middle of the table. There was 4 of us so we could not have to many plates on table.

My husband loves escargot and as long as you tell the waiter you would like some the night before you would get it next night. It was only on menu I believe one night. I tried to stay away from the bread plus what was nice on the menu was a lot of fish dishes which were very good.

Same with dessert pick one and he would always bring the ones we had not tried.

Love there dessert souffles always have them.

One thing I always asked for was steamed veg. I think that helped not to put to much weight on.

I was disappointed they did not have any fresh mango's on board. But made up for that when we got to Australia.

We would order tea and coffee to cabin in the afternoon plus there chocolate cookies which are very good.

Looking forward to our next cruise with princess.

:):)

For some pictures of a special lunch buffet on the original Pacific Princess, go to http://africacb.homestead.com/WKG5M22.html

WOW..WOW...WOW.. Love your pictures...not to mention the ones from Africa BTW When I talked about discontinuing buffets I meant to say Midnight Buffets. One of the things I find tacky on cruises is the Baked Alaska Parade.. I hate Baked Alaska and refuse to eat it..lol. Also, I find with all the eating on the cruise we walk much more than we do at home. Now I can't wait for our Pacific Princess cruise next month...Did you hear me screaming in joy at your pictures.. the lions, the giraffes, the zebras.. all running wild.. One day I hope we can meet and talk about your adventure...

kooljamming if the pictures you have in your signature and in your web links are of you trust me you are MANY MANY meals away from being obese! Just go ahead and order several selections no one will think any the less of you for it. BTW, since they don't wash the dishes by hand the machine won't care how many plates you use! :D

Obese in some cultures simply means you rich, happy and can afford to eat. I will take dying fat and happy over skinny and hungry any day:p

Archived