"LIVE" from Norwegian GEM / March 7, 2009

Radio

Thankyou you Radio for a wonderful vicarious cruise.

We will be on the Gem in December and I feel I like I will be coming back to an old friend!

Have a safe trip home and welcome back to The Land of Pleasant Living!

Hi

Just wanted to pop in and tell you how nice it was to meet you. Sorry we missed you at breakfast this morning. We got home around 11:30. I should be unpacking and doing laundry, but I decided to extend my vacation a bit by enjoying you "live post". You did an incredible job with it!

Thanks for letting me relive my trip and now I have some great pictures to enjoy also! I think I will have to go back on the Gem again, looking at you pictures I can see that there are some places that I missed seeing.

It was a wonderful trip and for those of you going on the Gem soon, I'm very jealous! You'll have a great time, so relax and enjoy. I will probably not bother with a review as Radio's comments really cover everything. We were in a CY Villa for the first time and it was amazing! So, if anyone has any particular questions regarding that part of the ship, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Radio- Amazing thread and thanks again for the posts, we really enjoyed spending time with you. Safe trip back to Baltimore.

hey radio i am booked on the gem next week, however your dailys make me feel as if i just sailed. the hype is on because of you. than you thank you thank you for a great week. i have been a cruise critic fan for years....but this was the best. bravo

Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work & tell you how much we enjoyed cruising with you. It really was a great live post. And what a beautiful ship the Gem is! We will be sailing on the Jewel this October. It will be a first for us on NCL as we have been loyal RCL cruisers. We had been tossing around taking this cruise and after cruising with you we just may book it for next year while on the Jewel. Again, thank you so much for all the information and photos you have provided. Looking forward to your comparison reports.

Pam

Past Cruises:

2003 RCL Serenade of the Seas – Canada

2004 RCL Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean

2005 RCL Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2007 RCL Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle

2008 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean

2008 HAL Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise

Future Cruises:

2009 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean

2009 NCL Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada

Hi Radio - thanks for taking us along on your cruise:). The GEM is a beautiful ship and we'd love to sail her one day - she just needs to be sailing from Miami for that to happen.

I noticed empty seats in the picture of Teppanyaki - did you get a sense that fewer passengers were opting to pay the extra $$? Teppanyaki is usually completely booked all seatings and the empty seats surprised me:eek:. DH and I prefer to eat in the specialty restaurants and have NO problem with the additional $$ - we build it right into our budget from the beginning.........

That photo of Teppanyaki was late on our last night. It was packed every day. As I walked by thre Friday Night, I was surprised that it was still open. . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great report, Radio! It looks like you had a beautiful week and the ship is just amazing. I'm very tempted to take NCL up on one of their current deals and I've read the Gem is a very family friendly ship (we have a 2 year old). Thank you so much for all your great info. and pics! Looking forward to more of your "live" threads in the future.:D

That photo of Teppanyaki was late on our last night. It was packed every day. As I walked by thre Friday Night, I was surprised that it was still open. . .

Radio

Ahoy Radio,

Welcome home! You amaze me on your generosity to all of us CC members. We really appreciate the updates, pictures and overall review of the Gem. We are driving from Boston to NYC the morning of the cruise and plan to park on the pier. Was it convenient to use and were you able to drop the bags off with a porter and then go park the car or did you have to bring the bags from the lot to the pier?

Really appreciate all your info.:)

Ann and Bernie

Ahoy Radio,

>SNIP< Was it convenient to use and were you able to drop the bags off with a porter and then go park the car or did you have to bring the bags from the lot to the pier?

Really appreciate all your info.:)

Ann and Bernie

The way it used to be was simple :

Drive up the Ramp

Drop off Luggage (Deck 2)

Drive up to the Parking Deck (Deck 3)

The ramp from D2 to D3 is under contruction (TORN DOWN), so I :

Drove up the Ramp (Deck 2)

Dropped off Luggage

Saw the "Deck 3 Ramp Under Construction" Sign and mumbled "@#%&*:mad:

I asked how to get on the Parking Deck and was told to Exit the Pier. Drive around the block, go to the Pier Entrance again (Grrrrr.....)

10 minutes later I was on the Parking deck. . . .(whew. . .)

So. . . I would recommend that you Park the Car first, and there are porters up on Deck 3, that will take your luggage (or you can carry it down if itis not much)

Radio

Radio~Thanks again for the wonderful updates and pics. How will we be able to view all your photos. Will they be here on CC, or will we have to follow a link somewhere else. Leaving in 13 days so I want to see as much beforehand as I can. Thanks again, Amanda

Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work & tell you how much we enjoyed cruising with you. It really was a great live post. And what a beautiful ship the Gem is! We will be sailing on the Jewel this October. It will be a first for us on NCL as we have been loyal RCL cruisers. We had been tossing around taking this cruise and after cruising with you we just may book it for next year while on the Jewel. Again, thank you so much for all the information and photos you have provided. Looking forward to your comparison reports.

Pam

Thanks Pam ! I love RCI as well. . . I have been on over 30 RCI Cruises.

I really do love Freestyle Cruising though. . . and I think you can tell that I really love NCL GEM ! !

Radio

Radio~Thanks again for the wonderful updates and pics. How will we be able to view all your photos. Will they be here on CC, or will we have to follow a link somewhere else. Leaving in 13 days so I want to see as much beforehand as I can. Thanks again, Amanda

Hi Amanda. . . Thanks for the nice comments !

I will be posting many of them here. . . I just need to send them up to my server. The Gem pics and Video will be seen HERE , as they become available.

I have over 1200 photos, but will post about 150 or so in a few days.

Radio

Hi

Just wanted to pop in and tell you how nice it was to meet you. Sorry we missed you at breakfast this morning. We got home around 11:30. I should be unpacking and doing laundry, but I decided to extend my vacation a bit by enjoying you "live post". You did an incredible job with it!

Thanks for letting me relive my trip and now I have some great pictures to enjoy also! I think I will have to go back on the Gem again, looking at you pictures I can see that there are some places that I missed seeing.

It was a wonderful trip and for those of you going on the Gem soon, I'm very jealous! You'll have a great time, so relax and enjoy. I will probably not bother with a review as Radio's comments really cover everything. We were in a CY Villa for the first time and it was amazing! So, if anyone has any particular questions regarding that part of the ship, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Radio- Amazing thread and thanks again for the posts, we really enjoyed spending time with you. Safe trip back to Baltimore.

Thanks Goldmom. . .

It was a pleasure to spend time with you and your husband. It was very generous of you to invte me to your Villa. Mrs Radio wants one of those next time :) I will be posting photos soon !

Radio

Here are a few pics from the week. . . .

More pics tomorrow !

Radio

Whit Hot Party Night

W12.JPG

I loved the Promenade Deck

J5.JPG

NCL provided a nice flower by the door for Minisuites. . .

G3.JPG

I am glad we didn't need to use this !

W11.JPG

No High Heels Allowed !

W6.JPG

Wow. . . thats a long way down. . . .

W7.JPG

Radio,

thanks for the real time review. Now that you are home can you tell us what your cabin number was? I am booked for November and want to know if there is really a size difference between 11152 and the other aft AFs.

Deb

Looking forward to seeing all your pictures. Some of mine didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. From the recent postings on the board, it sounds as if everyone enjoyed their cruise.

Glad you made it home safely and looking forward to your next installment.

Looking forward to seeing all your pictures. Some of mine didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. From the recent postings on the board, it sounds as if everyone enjoyed their cruise.

Glad you made it home safely and looking forward to your next installment.

My next Cruise (may) be to Canada ! . . . . from NYC.

I loved Canada when I went there lasy July. . . .

That "LIVE" report can be seen HERE Just click on Carnival Victory 2008

Radio

Radio, Radio, Radio! I love your reviews, I love your pictures, and I love that you take time to do it all live! Thank you again because your pictures readily appear on my computer and you make it as though we are all there with you. You are awesome! Oh, thanks for the Hindu gods pics!

coka

Radio, Radio, Radio! I love your reviews, I love your pictures, and I love that you take time to do it all live! Thank you again because your pictures readily appear on my computer and you make it as though we are all there with you. You are awesome! Oh, thanks for the Hindu gods pics!

coka

Thanks for the nice comments. . . I still have to post the Mermaid !

Radio

Here are a few more pics. . .

The Video should be done this week !

Radio

British Colonial Hilton in Nassau

A55.JPG

Nassau Port Authority (Near the Passenger Terminal)

A7.JPG

Shakers Martini and Cocktail Bar Statue (Deck 6)

D4.JPG

Le Bistro (Deck 6)

D7.JPG

Cagney's Steakhouse (Deck 13)

S26.JPG

Gem AFT

K12.JPG

Thanks so much! It is always so helpful to read your live threads. Do you know if you reserve the bowling alleys/if it is crowded?

It was crowded it the evenings when the Bliss Nightclub was busy, but during the day it was never busy. . . . $5.00 per game

Radio

Archived