"LIVE" from Norwegian GEM / March 7, 2009

Radio

My next Cruise (may) be to Canada ! . . . . from NYC.

I loved Canada when I went there lasy July. . . .

That "LIVE" report can be seen HERE Just click on Carnival Victory 2008

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Radio,

Would love to have you on board with us this coming October to Canada. We are leaving out of NYC on the NCL Jewel. She's heading to Quebec City & PEI.:D Your "live" posts are just awesome - hope you can make it!

Past Cruises:

2003 RCL Serenade of the Seas – Canada

2004 RCL Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean

2005 RCL Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2006 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2007 RCL Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle

2008 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean

2008 HAL Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise

Future Cruises:

2009 RCL Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean

2009 NCL Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada

Thanks for all the great info about the cruise and ship. Also, the info on parking. I read you are from Maryland and am curious if you have ever had trouble with the driving directions to the pier? We seem to always have a problem after going through the Lincoln tunnel. We did buy a GPS and hope that will do the trick. Any advice?

Hi Radio,

Would love to have you on board with us this coming October to Canada. We are leaving out of NYC on the NCL Jewel. She's heading to Quebec City & PEI. Your "live" posts are just awesome - hope you can make it!

Wow. . .that sounds nice, But I am sailing from Baltimore in November. . .October won't work for me.

Cruise Maryland has 4 ships sailing this year ! Woo Hoo :D

Radio

Here are a few mor pics from the week. . .

Radio

Gem AFT Promenade at Great Stirrup Cay

E1.JPG

Viewing AFT at Shakers Martini and Cocktail Bar

CC8.JPG

Tahiti Pool Sun Seekers

DC12.JPG

Deck 11 Hallway outside my Cabin

B24.JPG

My Balcony / Cabin 11622

J8.JPG

Busy, busy Great Stirrup Cay

N7.JPG

Thanks for all the great info about the cruise and ship. Also, the info on parking. I read you are from Maryland and am curious if you have ever had trouble with the driving directions to the pier? We seem to always have a problem after going through the Lincoln tunnel. We did buy a GPS and hope that will do the trick. Any advice?

The problem with a GPS is that it needs a signal. NY City is not good in terms of signal reception. Our GPS (garmin) goes out when we get into Manhattan.

However, we found the pier to be very accessible, and not at all hard to find.

It was crowded it the evenings when the Bliss Nightclub was busy, but during the day it was never busy. . . . $5.00 per game

Radio

Radio: Thank you again for the wonderful information and amazing pictures. Your live updates made my DH's unexpected hospital stay pass a little easier, as he enjoyed reading your posts while he was hospitalized...giving him reason to "get better fast" for our sail on the Gem in just a few weeks!:) We can hardly wait to get away....all your postings are fantastic and we cannot wait to see what you have left!!:)monty

Radio: Thank you again for the wonderful information and amazing pictures. Your live updates made my DH's unexpected hospital stay pass a little easier, as he enjoyed reading your posts while he was hospitalized...giving him reason to "get better fast" for our sail on the Gem in just a few weeks! We can hardly wait to get away....all your postings are fantastic and we cannot wait to see what you have left!!monty

Thanks for the very nice comments. . .I hope things turn out OK. . .

I have lots of posts left with lots of photos. . .:)

Stay tuned. . .

Radio

Hello everyone. . .

Here is the Programming guide for Norwegian Gem

There is no “Free Movie” Channel like on Norwegian Majesty.

All Movies are Pay per View, but they have a nice feature that will let you pause, FF, or rewind the movie. You can even pause the movie and save it for later.

Radio

Program Guide

21-Onboard Info

22-Navigation Channel

23-Bow/Bridge Cam, Announcements

24-Safety Info

25-Restaurant Info

26-Shore Excursions

27-Shopping Channel

28-Activities/Freestyle Daily Highlights

29-CNN

30-FOX NEWS

31-ESPN

32- Cartoon Network

33-TNT

34-Turner Classic Movies

35-ESPN

36-Onboard Services

Here are a few more pics from the week. . .

These are some of the dining areas on Gem, and Gem Crystal Atrium Lobby.

Radio

Early Morning Garden Cafe

CC4.JPG

Tequila Tex Mex Restaurant

Y73.JPG

Blue Lagoon / Casual Food

T74.JPG

Crystal Atrium Lobby / Gem Midship

T67.JPG

Crystal Atrium Lobby

T68.JPG

Java Cafe

T66.JPG

Radio, thank you soo much for doing your LIVE FROM update. My wife and friends will be traveling on the Gem this coming Saturday the 21st, we almost feel like we have just traveled her with you.

This will be our first cruise on Norwegian, but have traveled many times on HAL and RCL. I will admit with some of the posts we have read we were a little concerned:eek: But after reading your live posts and a few others we are completely sure we made a great choice.

My question is, I thought I read somewhere that you have to pay for a TV channels? I hope thats not so, I don't mind paying for movies but paying for a TV channels seems a little strange.

We are all very happy you did take some time to relax and enjoy your trip,and again thrilled you took time out to report to all your cruise critic friends, hope one day to be on board with you!

Thanks again,

Capn

My question is, I thought I read somewhere that you have to pay for a TV channels? I hope thats not so, I don't mind paying for movies but paying for a TV channels seems a little strange.

RADIO posted this back a few posts ago:

Here is the Programming guide for Norwegian Gem

There is no “Free Movie” Channel like on Norwegian Majesty.

All Movies are Pay per View, but they have a nice feature that will let you pause, FF, or rewind the movie. You can even pause the movie and save it for later.

Program Guide

21-Onboard Info

22-Navigation Channel

23-Bow/Bridge Cam, Announcements

24-Safety Info

25-Restaurant Info

26-Shore Excursions

27-Shopping Channel

28-Activities/Freestyle Daily Highlights

29-CNN

30-FOX NEWS

31-ESPN

32- Cartoon Network

33-TNT

34-Turner Classic Movies

35-ESPN

36-Onboard Services

The channels he listed are free. Pay To View Movies are extra.

Rich

Radio,

I can't thank you enough for your live reports and photos. I looked forward to them everyday. We leave on the Gem this coming Saturday the 21st and I feel so much better prepared. Even though we have been on the Gem before you showed me areas I had never been to. Your photos are amazing. I think I will be looking at the Gem differently this time and looking for all the things in your photos. Do you know who the Assistant Cruise Director was? When we were on the Gem in January it was Joe.

Thanks again.

Liane

Thank you for the incredible Live Reports! I sit here on Monday with tears in my eyes reliving an amazing cruise through your posts. Your pictures are wonderful, I took lots but yours are stellar! I couldn't believe how sweet the crew was, always there to make everything to our liking. The officers were so friendly and approachable, always having time to chat. I loved the food, I was so happy that along with all the rich dishes and desserts, you could also eat quite healthy. Something for everyone! The ship was beautiful and your pictures really bring that out. You are a "Gem" to have taken the time to post so that we could step back a few days later and relive the heavenly week!

Hi Radio! Thank you for the amazingly detailed account of your time on the Gem. I'll be on that ship in May so it was great to see it in action :)

Can you comment about the internet connection while onboard? I'd like to video-conference with my daughter occasionally (probably use Skype), do you know if this would be possible on that ship? Did you have any lag time when uploading photos? I know you experienced some slowness on the 1st day, before you left the dock, did it continue again at any point on the trip?

Thanks again for all of the information. It's been great!

Radio, thank you soo much for doing your LIVE FROM update. >SNIP< My question is, I thought I read somewhere that you have to pay for a TV channels? I hope thats not so, I don't mind paying for movies but paying for a TV channels seems a little strange. >SNIP< Thanks again, Capn

Hi Capnjoe. . . Yes there is an option to purchase Blocks of Channels through your TV. I think that there were several channels like :

• Assorted Family Sitcoms
  • Assorted Drama Sitcoms
  • Childrens Programming
  • Documentary Programming

There were a total of 4-5 Channels. . .I do not remember the name of all of the channels.

The cost was $10 each for the whole cruise, or you could buy all of the channels for $30/Cruise

Radio

In a lot of your pics there is no one a round

Do you get up really early??

I took over 1200 pics, and I try to post the ones with few passengers or no passengers in them. There are several postings with alot of passsengers though. . . mostly outdoors, though.

I do get up very early . . . ;) (usually around 5AM)

I have to laugh as I remember a cruise about 5 years ago that I was on (Grandeur of the Seas), and a little boy's mother was yelling at him and said " YOU TOOK 20 PHOTOS WITH NO PEOPLE IN THEM" , " DONT DO THIS EVER AGAIN OR I WILL TAKE YOUR CAMERA AWAY !" :confused:

Radio

Here are a few more pics. . .

Grand Pacific Dining Room

B4.JPG

The Grand Pacific Dining Room is very large !

T33.JPG

I had dinner here 1 night, and it was very good !

R15.JPG

Body Waves on Deck 12

R23.JPG

Body Waves. . . I didn't make it up here much. . .

R24.JPG

Yin and Yang Spa Relaxation Area

R22.JPG

I took over 1200 pics, and I try to post the ones with few passengers or no passengers in them.

That makes sense. Of course I checked every day hoping to find a pictures with my husband and son. :)

Did you run into any problems with spring breakers. I know "my boys" thought some were over the top, but I'm sure that comes with the alcohol package some of the bigger groups had.

They thought for the most part the spring breakers were well behaved, though being one of them I'm not sure they were objective. They did mention a few had been let off the ship in Freeport. As a parent I better never get that call.

>SNIP<

Did you run into any problems with spring breakers. I know "my boys" thought some were over the top, but I'm sure that comes with the alcohol package some of the bigger groups had.

No Problems with any Spring Break kids. . . I know they were there, but everything was cool. . . .no worries

Radio

Hi Radio,

I also would like to thank you for all the wonderful pictures that you took and shared with all of us. My husband and I will be sailing on the Gem this Saturday. I was wondering if you will have the freestyle daily pages posted by then. Would love to see them. Thanks

JoAnn:)

Hi Radio,

I also would like to thank you for all the wonderful pictures that you took and shared with all of us. My husband and I will be sailing on the Gem this Saturday. I was wondering if you will have the freestyle daily pages posted by then. Would love to see them. Thanks

JoAnn:)

Thanks for the nice comments. . .I should have them ready by tomorrow night. I will post when they are completed.

I do have many of the pics that were not included in the thread posted and captioned. . .

They can be found HERE.

Radio

Archived