Please help-delta changed my flights!

cantwait06

Ok I am by no means a flying expert, so I thought I'd ask some of you experts!

We have booked out flights through Carnival. We had great flights that seemed to have no problems-then Delta switched them.

As of now, we are now booked from Hartford to NY, NY arriving at 7:29am. Our next flight to Ft. Lauderdale leaves at 8:05 am. In my opinion, this is not enough time to catch our connecting flight. I have also heard that when there is not a lot of time between connections, chances are our luggage won't make it.

Any opinions/advice? I am feeling right now like I should call the airline, but I was hoping someone could ease my mind....

One more question....we were origninally scheduled to fly into Miami (where our ship leaves from) but with this change we are now flying into Ft. Lauderdale. Is it a far drive? I am so miserable with this flight change!

I have never had the cruise line handle my flights, but then I've never had my airline handle my cruises or my plumber handle my tax returns. :)

Call the airlines, BUT first check the schedule to see what is available. Tell them what flights you want (it helps to have a couple of choices). If you get no relief, hang up and redial. Agent B might be more knowledgeable and/or more helpful.

If you have consolidator tickets, you might SOL. If they are normal tickets, there is a very good chance you will get relief.

I would also suggest flying down a day early because there is an excellent chance the flights will change again.

Don't know how far out this change is but I would not accept it. Look at the Delta website for options ,call Delta, and request specific flights if possible. Have your info in hand before calling. BDL-ATL-MIA would probably be the best routing. It's a pricey taxi ride from FLL to the port in MIA.

Cantwait,

Call Delta asap and see what they can do for you. You do not mention if you are flying through La Guardia or JFK. That does make a difference.

All airlines have a "legal" connection time and if you are at LGA you might fall under the limit BUT you should be able to have them reinstate something to MIA. Before you call go to the Delta site and see what your options are. When you speak to India ask for the Rebooking desk. With alternate schedules in hand, speak calmly to the agent and work with them to recreate a suitable flight schedule.

Your best tool will be the airport change.

I cannot remember what the shuttle fare is between FLL and the port of Miami but it will be more than a taxi from MIA to the port.

FYI, all airlines change schedules and if your flights are far in the future this could happen again.

Because you purchased your ticket through Carnival Delta may force you back to the cruise lines air department. If you booked through a travel agent you must use them to intercede. Cruise air tickets are treated like consolidator fares and you do not have much room for negotiation. That is why so many on Cruise Critic urge their fellow sailors to book their own air.

I hope you can work this out to your satisfaction.

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have come on here before I booked my airfare that way-we were told that we SHOULD book airfare through the cruiseline so that way if our flight was delayed they would be responsible for getting us down to the next port-it happened to a friend of ours. Oops.

Anyway, since we bought the airfare through carnival the airport transfer is also provided by them, so we don't have to pay for it, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a long transfer.

We are flying on 4/20 so it isn't very far in the future. I guess I will be making some phone calls first thing in the am. This is horrible-I now have terrible anxiety!

I have never had the cruise line handle my flights, but then I've never had my airline handle my cruises or my plumber handle my tax returns. :)

Reminds me of a sign at a local pizza place: "We made a deal with our bank. The bank doesn't make pizza. We don't take checks" :D

OP's transfers, regardless of where they finally ended up landing i.e. MIA or FLL are included in the cruiselines air/sea package and is of no real importance right now. The issue that needs to be addressed ASAP is the connection time, which has been well answerd by some already. Good luck OP... hope it all works out for you. Transfer from FLL to POM is only approx. 30 - 45 minute drive at best. The delays come when you have to wait till the bus is filled before it departs !

I found a better flight on deltas website and I'm on hold right now. I couldn't wait until morning, I would get no sleep! Please don't give me a hard time about booking airline through the cruise-I was following someone else's stupid advice-and now I'm kicking myself for it!

I found a better flight on deltas website and I'm on hold right now. I couldn't wait until morning, I would get no sleep! Please don't give me a hard time about booking airline through the cruise-I was following someone else's stupid advice-and now I'm kicking myself for it!

No one was giving you a hard time.

the comments on booking through the cruise line was for lurkers.. several of us think it is important to warn people about the downside of this. Ditto traveling the day before the cruise.

Hope it works out for you

If this short connection is your only option (flights with longer connections are full, won't get you there in time, etc.) pack strategically.

Have each person take a 20-21 inch rolling suitcase (or large, legal duffle, etc.) as carryon. Pack clothes for a few days in there (don't forget bathing suit),any essential toiletries and medication---really anything you may need in the first couple of days. Then, cross pack your checked luggage. Put some of each person's clothes in each suitcase. If you only put one person's clothes per suitcase and a bag is lost that person will be out of luck. But, if you cross pack everyone will at least have some clothes regardless of the delayed bag.

If this short connection is your only option (flights with longer connections are full, won't get you there in time, etc.) pack strategically.

Have each person take a 20-21 inch rolling suitcase (or large, legal duffle, etc.) as carryon. Pack clothes for a few days in there (don't forget bathing suit),any essential toiletries and medication---really anything you may need in the first couple of days. Then, cross pack your checked luggage. Put some of each person's clothes in each suitcase. If you only put one person's clothes per s uitcase and a bag is lost that person will be out of luck. But, if you cross pack everyone will at least have some clothes regardless of the delayed bag.

Its looking as though this may be our option. This is horrible. For some stupid reason, we booked through Priceline, so now I have to go through them. They can't help me until Monday morning, because the office that handles that is closed on the weekend.

Why do vacations need to be stressful? I'm such a worrier/planner, that I can not relax until we are safely at our destination with luggage in hand. This is our first cruise too, I really don't want it to be a bad experience!

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advice! Now I know better then to book my airfare through the cruise....

Its looking as though this may be our option. This is horrible. For some stupid reason, we booked through Priceline, so now I have to go through them. They can't help me until Monday morning, because the office that handles that is closed on the weekend.

Why do vacations need to be stressful? I'm such a worrier/planner, that I can not relax until we are safely at our destination with luggage in hand. This is our first cruise too, I really don't want it to be a bad experience!

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advice! Now I know better then to book my airfare through the cruise....

You booked your cruise vacation including airfare thru Priceline ??? I am confused as you said you booked the air thru Carnival..... which is it ? I read your OP and it comes across that you booked the cruise and air thru Carnival and yet now Priceline is coming into the picture.... totally confused !

Ok, I booked through Priceline, and they gave me the option to buy airfare through Carnival-its called the Fly Aweigh program I believe. So it was like a Carnival package I purchased through priceline. Does that make sense? I think I'm confusing myself! When I look at my e documents through Carnival, the flights are on there. But when I call Carnival, they tell me I have to deal with Priceline since I booked through them, and its like booking through a travel agent.

Ok, I booked through Priceline, and they gave me the option to buy airfare through Carnival-its called the Fly Aweigh program I believe. So it was like a Carnival package I purchased through priceline. Does that make sense? I think I'm confusing myself! When I look at my e documents through Carnival, the flights are on there. But when I call Carnival, they tell me I have to deal with Priceline since I booked through them, and its like booking through a travel agent.

Since it was booked thru Priceline (can't say I ever heard of anyone doing that one before !) you are at the mercy of working with them regarding this air issue.......Having multiple vendors bundled together for this trip does make it confusing.

Call it a lesson learned and keep us posted with your outcome on Monday.

Oh Boy:o…. Yes Priceline is your TA then. So, you now have to talk with someone at Priceline to resolve this issue:rolleyes:. Please let us know how this turns out. I’m keeping positive thoughts your way;).

John

thanks for your kind thoughts. I guess we got some terrible advice from a friend-who is a frequent cruiser....what were we thinking? I wish I had found this site BEFORE I booked the trip, we would have done the whole booking differently. This is really horrible.

thanks for your kind thoughts. I guess we got some terrible advice from a friend-who is a frequent cruiser....what were we thinking? I wish I had found this site BEFORE I booked the trip, we would have done the whole booking differently. This is really horrible.

Take a deeeeeeeeep breath..... and be prepared to "talk nice" to the Priceline rep you speak with on Monday and plead your case....you will get more bees with honey than you will with vinegar ! Good Luck and hopefully all will work out for you.

I wish I had found this site BEFORE I booked the trip, we would have done the whole booking differently. This is really horrible.

OK, nobody here is saying this is horrible but you. I’m telling you this is NOT horrible. You have a little flight issue, and that is all. I think most people here have had such an issue and survived just fine. You will get on the ship and that’s the most important, OK?;)

Take a deeeeeeeeep breath..... and be prepared to "talk nice" to the Priceline rep you speak with on Monday and plead your case....you will get more bees with honey than you will with vinegar !

Sound advice! You may get a very nice and caring person at Priceline and find this whole issue will be easily resolved. If not you can hang up and call again and you will get a totally different person that can help. But really try to stay positive. I think your worse case is you make it to the ship fine but your luggage may not.

That has happen to my wife and I and we didn’t let it get to us. We had insurance, credit cards, and cash. Purchased a few clothing item and then 2 days later guess what showed up in our cabin:D. Just make sure you have all your meds and a change of clothes in your carryon and I promise all will be OK:).

Enjoy your cruise!

John

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have come on here before I booked my airfare that way-we were told that we SHOULD book airfare through the cruiseline so that way if our flight was delayed they would be responsible for getting us down to the next port-it happened to a friend of ours. Oops.

Anyway, since we bought the airfare through carnival the airport transfer is also provided by them, so we don't have to pay for it, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a long transfer.

We are flying on 4/20 so it isn't very far in the future. I guess I will be making some phone calls first thing in the am. This is horrible-I now have terrible anxiety!

the part about getting you to the port is not necessarily true....RULE #1 of CRUISE AIR...is to READ the sticky by greatam at the top of this board.

you MAY be SOL anyway as cruise air is booked at the carrier's cheapest, most restrictive fare.,..you are really at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to changing flights, assistance or anything.

call the carrier first with options.....BUT you may be stuck....you may have to get carnival involved and they may want to charge you to change the tickets to better flights....good luck!

Just an update for anyone who is curious:

I am out of luck. I called priceline again, and they told me there were no available flights for me to change to without being charged a ridiculous amount of money PER PERSON.

Then I tried booking a prevacation hotel and getting my flight changed to the day before. Again, charged a fee, then another fee for changing my flights to the day before, and I would be responsible for any fees from the airfare that were over the original price I paid for airfare.

The woman at Priceline was very kind and assured me that although it is a short layover, that since we were in the same terminal and just changing gates, we shouldn't have a problem. She also told me to tell the flight attendant that we were trying to make our connection and that they would probably inform the airline that we were coming. She also stated that even if my bags don't make it on my flight, they would be put on the next flight to Miami and I would have baggage.

Thoughts? Not that there is anything I can do to change things anyway. I am planning on putting as much as I can into carryons....

Thanks for the update cantwait06,

I wish you had better news to share with us:o. As you said, bring as much as you can it your carry on. And don’t give up and think your trip is doomed, because it’s not. You will be on your cruise ship having a great vacation and hopefully with your checked bags. If not they will meet you a day or two later.;)

Have a great cruise!

John

Another option is driving from Hartford to JFK or LGA then catching your flight. It's a few hour drive but at least being at the airport for the flight down to Florida is within your control. One caveat is you MUST work this change with Priceline. If you simply do not show up for the first flight, your entire itenerary will be cancelled!

If you do fly out of Hartford, be sure to have Delta's 800 numbers and print out a list of later flights. At the first sign your Hartford flight will be delayed, call the 800 number or talk to an agent at the airport to rebook the second leg. Do not wait until you arrive in New York to sort things out.

Chances are, everything will go just fine.

Be sure to put your cruise info in your suitcases. Most have a pocket on the outside and we always put the carrier, ship and itinerary along with our names on a sheet of paper in a zip lock inside. You do not need to put your cabin number.

The zip lock is to protect the important information from getting wet if the case were to sit out in the rain. It's been known to happen.

We all want you to have the best cruise and we all know what a struggle it can be getting to the pier.

I was on Delta a couple of weeks ago and I witnessed one of the best gate agents ever. Our flight was late and before some of the passengers ever made it to the gate he had rebooked them on other airlines and flights. He was so proactive. I should have gotten his name because he more than did his job. The call to the 800 number is a good start and a great gate agent is even better. They do so appreciate well behaved passengers too.

We wish you the best.

Archived