oceania vs silversea

billcrooz

greetings eveyone; i just received new Oceania brochure with some truly incredible prices;question is i am really spoiled by SS but in these depressing financial times how much of a drop off in this cruise line ??/:confused:

Oceania is not an all inclusive fare.

You will pay additional for tips (unless a special offer), alcoholic and soft drinks.

I am booked on my first Oceania cruise for Dec 2009.

MSEm

There are several threads discussing the O vs SS just put Silversea in the "search this forum" box top right

Should answer most of your questions

I am sure others will also post the merits of both

Copied and pasted from one of our previous postings, hope it helps:

Silversea fares are a lot more geographic location dependent than Oceania’s. They tend to be double Oceania’s fares for Europe, but close to Oceania’s in the Caribbean, especially when they are on sale (“silver sailings”). So for Europe, we chose Oceania over Silversea for its better value, while for the Caribbean area, we chose Silversea, by waiting attentively for those sales (which may be considered “aberrant” by some, but happens quite often, and can be really worthwhile for ordinary cats with limited means).

Silversea’s food is similar to Oceania’s, though you can prior order (the night before) items not on the menu. Its service is also similar, perhaps a bit more “personal” than Oceania’s. Its cabins are a lot more elegant than Oceania’s, even comparing to those PH minisuites, and its ships have dedicated “humidors” for those who smoke (we don’t). It has true multi-storeyed theatre and its “production shows” are returning. If your goal is to enjoy the ship (e.g. ocean crossing) rather than the ports, Silversea is better for you. However, Silversea has formal nights, we don’t mind wearing formal clothing, but are not eager to carry the extra luggage for it.

Oceania has its own strong points, notably the itineraries, which allow you to see the most in the limited number of days. While it is not luxurious, it is more than adequate for comfortable travel. Just imagine, if you have a five-star hotel in a destination you want, and a four-star one next door with good food and service, which will you choose? For many people, it depends on the price differential.

Was a SS devotee since 2000 (was being the operative word). Last July we did Alaska on SS (SF to SF), and both left the ship somewhat disappointed. Nothing major - just a lot of niggling things. Ship was also looking a bit tired in general.

Our last two cruises we'd opted out of formal nights because dragging tux, etc halfway around the world was a drag. After returning to Sydney I said perhaps it's time to check out Oceania. We did Venice to Barcelona on the Insignia last northern autumn and will never go back to SS.

PH on O is equal to veranda suite on SS. In fact, I like the layout better - desk is at the end of the bed, so you have a better sitting area comprising lounge, table and two tub-style chairs. If you have a thing against dark wood then you may like SS better (O decor is reminiscent of English manor house).

Sure, some things are great on SS: all inclusive is the most obvious, but it's not all that hard to get used to signing your name. We really enjoyed our fellow passengers (found them less full of themselves than SS cruisers) and smart casual dress code was spot on. (My DH retired on Oct 1 and isn't particularly keen to re-up the necktie any time soon.) Difference in food is maybe an A (SS) vs an A-. Although we did have one of the worst meals ever when we celebrated our anniversary at Le Champagne. At a specialty restaurant you don't expect pedestrian food (I don't consider Corn Flakes a food group) and plonk.

Interestingly, for us at least, the cost was much of a muchness (when you're paying in Aussie dollars it's just a fact of life).

If you even the slightest inclination towards O, then I suggest you go for it. I'm such a fan that we're reprising O this northern summer and doing the eastern Med.

Oh, and one last thing: while the number of passengers on O ships is more double that of SS, you really don't notice it.

can drag on forever & everyone has their favorites. We've been on both within the last 3 months. As has been mentioned ad naseum, if you don't like signing for everything, SS is your choice, especially if you like your cocktails/wine. Your little refrig. will be restocked everyday without ever making a request - things just appear by magic! The South America Silver Cloud itinerary was a far better deal for us than the Oceania one but that was before the economy crashed & fares went south too. Only you know how much you'll drink...cokes, wine, booze, water, etc. & how much you'll like the very personalized service on any Silversea ship that is unsurpassed. Service is just fine on the Oceania cruises we've been on, but just doesn't have that Silversea touch! Best advice is...do the math & also compare the ports. You'll enjoy either.

Archived