Please be aware of the cabin type you booked!

Hey everyone!

I'm on break from my first Embarkation day since I have returned and lots of the issues today have just been due to poor planning or not understanding certain codes.

Inside cabins: They are going to be small! They will be dark when the lights are off! There is a reason why they are the cheapest priced rooms. Don't book a inside expecting the Grand Suite.

Obstructed view cabins: This means there is something blocking your view. This can be anything but normally a lifeboat. A passenger was upset today because they could see the lifeboat but they knew they would have a blocked view. They said their travel agent said "don't worry it won't be that bad." Plan for the worse. If the 100% clear view is that important to you then don't book this category of room.

Never count on the ship being able to move you to a different room. Normally if there even is a open cabin it would be charged as a upgrade.

Another point is if you book a ocean view guarantee cabin. Most ships this is LOWER then the Obstructed View cabins so you could be "upgraded" but moved into a blocked view. The difference is because this cabin has a picture window not a porthole.

One last tip..cabins are small. If you are 4 large, 6' 5'' tall adults sharing a inside stateroom is nothing but trouble!

The bottom line is do a little research to save some stress when you get onto the ship so you are not surprised when you open the cabin door!

James

Hi James:

Welcome home to the Pride of America. We met you Dec 07. You were especially kind to my DDs when we would see you with the beverage cart at the buffet. Hawaii has since become our favourite vacation spot. DD5 asks daily to go back.

Hope NCL guests know what a gem they have on these boards and on the ship.

I actually tried to book on PofAm this very afternoon. Some killer deals over Easter. Even had the airfare thing figured out. But... missed the boat and the best priced cabins had been snatched up. Deep sigh.

Have done two land-based trips to Hawaii this year and have another planned for summer (I have the greatest job on earth that lets me go to wonderful places).....

I believe that someday, NCL will realize what you are doing on these boards and give you a plum job in the marketing dept.

Hey everyone!

I'm on break from my first Embarkation day since I have returned and lots of the issues today have just been due to poor planning or not understanding certain codes.

The bottom line is do a little research to save some stress when you get onto the ship so you are not surprised when you open the cabin door!

James

So, having fun are you? . . :D . ;)

James you are such an awesome resource there. I hope you will continue to post about things happening on the ship and how to help us be prepared. Let us know about anything new so we can get excited ! Your experiences on the "front lines" should make for some good reading.

Good to hear from you James. I could never do what you do because I would want to reach out and smack someone!:D

Thanks for posting that info. It should be very useful to new cruisers. Keep the post coming! I am sure we can all benefit from them.

Thanks,

Sandy

Thanks for your post. though isn't it sad that you would have to post something so full of common sense.

It seems the world has totally lost all common sense when it comes to many things like an obstructed view room may have an obstruction!!!! OR we have to put a warning on coffee cups that the contents may be hot. SOOO sad

Hey James, how are you? It's good to hear from you! Glad to hear that all is well on board and that you are getting back into the swing of things. Keep the posts coming as we all like hearing what you are up to.

Btw, I read somewhere that you are going on a RCL ship?

CG

Hi, James!

Glad to hear you're back on a ship and out of the restaurant. Is this still an interim measure while you try to get into the NCL International fleet?

I just booked my first cruise and I picked my balcony room, there were lots of choices. How do I know if my view is obstructed or not???

Vortex -- Since I don't know how soon James will be back, I'll take a stab at your question. Your balcony shouldn't be an obstruced view. Those are limited to the "outside view" (window) cabins, which in some cases have a lifeboat that hangs in front of the window, obstructing your view. There are certain cabins that are what they consider "hulled" balconies -- meaning that there is metal framing your balcony, but they're still not obstructed views.

• Administrators

Great post, James! A long time ago, when I began cruising (and dinosaurs walked the earth!) cruisers went to an actual travel agency (in a building) to talk to a human being face to face about booking cruise travel. Those agents had a wealth of knowledge and resources about the various cruiselines and ships, and what they didn't know they could find out with a phone call. The cruiseline brochures (paper things, full of glossy photos and deckplans, but that's not important now :D) had a detailed key listing so that one could see how many each cabin could hold, the bedding arrangement, anything noteworthy like an obstructed view, etc.

Then along came the internet. Brick and mortar agencies had a lot of trouble competing as the web expanded. Online agencies proliferated like mushrooms -- and like mushrooms, some of them aren't good for consumption. Cruiselines began doing something they refused to do in the past -- permitting consumers to book their travel directly with the cruiseline. While brochures do still exist, the storefronts where you could go pick them up are vanishing, and you have to order them online. You can look online at deck plans, but not every site which copies the deck plans also copies the key/legend to go with them ("Honey? Our cabin has a triangle on it... do we know what that means? No? Oh well, it's a window cabin, how bad can it be?" <onboard the ship> -- "What do you MEAN our cabin has two bunk beds????! This is our honeymoon!!!")

When I read James' post all of the above came to mind. Consumers need to do their homework and look out for their own interests; not all TAs are created equal, and booking directly with the cruiseline, especially for an inexperienced cruiser, requires homework and research to make sure you understand what you are booking.

PS: To the poster above, asking whether the balcony they booked for their first cruise is obstructed, have you gone to the cruiseline's website, looked at the deck plans, found your cabin, and checked out what any symbols on it mean? The description of cabins with view obstructions should explicitly say so and they frequently have their own cabin category.

Great post, James! A long time ago, when I began cruising (and dinosaurs walked the earth!) cruisers went to an actual travel agency (in a building) to talk to a human being face to face about booking cruise travel. Those agents had a wealth of knowledge and resources about the various cruiselines and ships, and what they didn't know they could find out with a phone call. The cruiseline brochures (paper things, full of glossy photos and deckplans, but that's not important now :D) had a detailed key listing so that one could see how many each cabin could hold, the bedding arrangement, anything noteworthy like an obstructed view, etc.

So true. Unfortunately James is preaching to the choir here. Unfortunately there are those who don't find cruise critic until after they have cruised and how often have we seen those first time poster have a bad experience.

The first time I booked an obstructed room was on the Majesty before it was part of the NCL fleet. It was a great deal because it was categorized as an interior room, so those who booked an interior room ended up with a great deal. Now it's an oceanview so people end up disappointed.

Then along came the internet. Brick and mortar agencies had a lot of trouble competing as the web expanded. Online agencies proliferated like mushrooms -- and like mushrooms, some of them aren't good for consumption. Cruiselines began doing something they refused to do in the past -- permitting consumers to book their travel directly with the cruiseline. While brochures do still exist, the storefronts where you could go pick them up are vanishing, and you have to order them online. You can look online at deck plans, but not every site which copies the deck plans also copies the key/legend to go with them ("Honey? Our cabin has a triangle on it... do we know what that means? No? Oh well, it's a window cabin, how bad can it be?" <onboard the ship> -- "What do you MEAN our cabin has two bunk beds????! This is our honeymoon!!!")

When I read James' post all of the above came to mind. Consumers need to do their homework and look out for their own interests; not all TAs are created equal, and booking directly with the cruiseline, especially for an inexperienced cruiser, requires homework and research to make sure you understand what you are booking.

PS: To the poster above, asking whether the balcony they booked for their first cruise is obstructed, have you gone to the cruiseline's website, looked at the deck plans, found your cabin, and checked out what any symbols on it mean? The description of cabins with view obstructions should explicitly say so and they frequently have their own cabin category.

All true, Michelle. I also think it is sad that the NCL reps that answer the phone are not very knowledgeable about these kinds of details. If they don't know, there are few options. Thank goodness for CC!

James, thanks for your info--it's always great to hear your prospective on things.

Some of the best info is still a NCL "Freestyle Cruising" book that I pickup at my TA's office. It has every ship with all the cabins showing disabled, connecting, third/fourth/fifth person occp.,staterooms w/ queen/king beds obstructed viewscabins, elevators ect. Also all the deck plans with restaurants, public rooms,lounges ect. ect. Each new cruising season I go get an updated book!!(Free) It's better than the web. Has most of the itineraries listed too. I can't say enough about planning, checking things out and checking again, researching and asking again and again if your not sure.:confused:

Hey James, thanks for the advice. We are going to be on the POA on the May 23 sailing for our honeymoon. Hopefully we will see you on the ship! Where do you work there?

I work at the front desk. I will be on the ship till July so I should be there..come say hi!

Thanks for the nice remarks everyone. Its fun meeting people and it makes my day so if you see me on the ship come say hi! Sometimes I get emails from people who said they saw me but didn't want to bother me but please..come say hi!

Archived