Upgrades on the ship: before or after arrival?

I am curious about cabin upgrades. I know I can call RCCL and ask to change a cabin and pay the difference before the cruise. But what happens after you check in? Can you do it at Guest Services, if cabins are available? AND, most important......, how do they charge for the change? Is it the going rate at the time of the cruise, or is it reduced, or some other way? I'll be on Granduer this week, and I'm thinking about upgrading if possible, but I don't want to have to pay an enormous amount of money for a 4 night cruise upgrade.

Any help?

I am curious about cabin upgrades. I know I can call RCCL and ask to change a cabin and pay the difference before the cruise. But what happens after you check in? Can you do it at Guest Services, if cabins are available? AND, most important......, how do they charge for the change? Is it the going rate at the time of the cruise, or is it reduced, or some other way? I'll be on Granduer this week, and I'm thinking about upgrading if possible, but I don't want to have to pay an enormous amount of money for a 4 night cruise upgrade.

Any help?

Availability and upcharge vary with each cruise. Often see signs posted that ship is soldout. Otherwise, inquire at check-in. I have also seen upgrades cost MORE than I knew the pre-cruise diffential was - its a case-by-case situation - but then just pass if too pricey. Good Luck

Any help?

Arrive as early as possible at the pier. After you check in at the counter, go to the pier coordinator's desk, and ask if there are any available cabins.

The rule of thumb is to book the cabin you'll be happy in---upgrades are few and far between. If there's a good cabin left when you board, the pier coordinator can move you (for a fee---usually less than the cruise company will charge) and you get that "bonus"--just don't depend on it happening!

The rule of thumb is to book the cabin you'll be happy in---upgrades are few and far between. If there's a good cabin left when you board, the pier coordinator can move you (for a fee---usually less than the cruise company will charge) and you get that "bonus"--just don't depend on it happening!

I have to agree. Book what you will make you happy. I always book a JS, but if the opportunity knocks for us to get ourselves into a GS then thats great. But if it does not happen I am fine with the Junior Suite.

For Ft. Lauderdale, how early should we be at the port in order to try to get upgrade from Pier Coordinator?

What happens to luggage that has already been ticketed to the prior cabin, Crown and Anchor coupons, bed arrangements, etc.... if upgraded?

Archived