Quebec

2 Questions:

We have 2 days in Quebec. What's not to be missed and can you recommend a good restaurant; it could be romantic, one with a good view, a bistro, or a good one for people watching.

Thank you, Merci.

Québec is one of those ports where you can just walk off the ship and wander around. The dock is in the heart of Old Québec (lower town part), and if you're in good shape you can hike up the hill to upper town (if you don't want to do the hill, take the funicular up, or use the free Ecolobus electric bus). If the weather is bad, there's a very good museum - Musée de la civilisation - right opposite the dock area.

As for restaurants, some of my favs: in the Cruise Terminal itself, Le Café du Monde, with a great view of berth 21; L'Initiale, just one block from the dock, in behind the Auberge Saint-Antoine; Aux Anciens Canadiens, for posh peasant food in upper town just down the street from the Château Frontenac; and around the corner from that, le Saint-Amour, very romantic. If you're ambitious, you can walk to Grande-Allée and its series of restaurants with terraces for the best people-watching; my fav here is the Bonaparte (but if you're in the mood for fast food, the McDonalds is beautiful!). Of course, one of the best things to do is just walk and read menus - the law states that a restaurant's menu must be visible from outside, so you can just window-shop as it were and choose your restaurant that way.

Twickenham, am I correct in saying that Aux Anciens Canadiens is reputedly the oldest restaurant in Canada?

Yes, I believe it is... although I'm not Twickenham:rolleyes:;) .. we have eaten there every trip since 1987 and never been disappointed.. there are so many wonderful restaurants but IMHO this one is "tops" for genuine Quebecois cooking.. the meat pie, maple sugar pie ... I have the cookbook but can't replicate it The building itself is 400 years old and the entire atmosphere is quite charming.. There is a fix price lunch menu as well as dinner.. There are some sugar shacks out on Ile de Orleans that are very good as well and offer regional cooking

Quebec City was truly memorable, and we plan to return before long. We rode on the Funicular up to the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac. The surrounding streets adjacent to the Chateau are lovely to take a walk through.

We walked down the stairs back to the lower town, with great views all the way down. Place Royale and Quartier Petit Champlain had excellent shopping and quaint cafe's. Great people-watching, too. It's a wonderful city to spend a couple days in.

DavidnSteph

• 2 weeks later...

:) am I asking too much?...about 150 CAD is what I am looking for and then after the 2days we plan on taking the train to MOntreal if you can keep that in mind...I was looking at a splurge at auberge du viewx for 205CAD ...Have you any comment on that hotel?

:)thank you for your prompt response...I will look into it tomorrow.....quote=Host Caroline;18769521]We stay at Chateau du Pierre on rue st Genevieve right across the park from Frontenac, near Dufferin Terrace.. family run, clean, charming...

Archived