Alaska in 2010

rian90

Hi all,

I have asked my husband for a cruise to Alaska as a 20th anniversary gift in July of 2010. I have looked at some of the ships but since I know so little about the ports I really don't know what would be best.

We may bring our kids who will be 20 (oh my gosh!), 12 and 10 at that time but that depends on the costs and I am guessing airfare at least will prohibit five of us traveling. My hubby has a new job with a little less pay so we need to be realistic.

If its just hubby and I, we are looking for something with great scenery and a chance to do a little hiking. I am a former geologist and had a professor in college who did work in Glacier Bay (he was from NZ and I loved the way he said Glacier!!). Anyway, a trip to see Glacier Bay MUST be in the itinerary. I am not into planes, helicopters or small boats but would love some hikes that are easy to moderate...not climbing a mountain or anything. I want to see glaciers and rocks and mountains! I want to be immersed in the environment, not just see it from a boat or a plane...I want to TOUCH Alaska!

I looked at a HAL ship and it looked great, even a train ride which my hubby would LOVE! But since I haven't looked enough, I don't know what else there is to look for.

Do most people on Alaska cruises use the ship's excursions or can you get out on your own?

Also, if we were to put down a deposit on a ship and then for some reason realize we can't save enough money, can we move the date forward without losing a deposit if we stay with the same cruiseline? I realize it has to be done within a certain time limit.

Thanks so much!

Laura

You have already narrowed down you search, another key decision you need to make is route, if you want a round trip or one way?? With your geology priority, I would also look at an all day Juneau port time, 7a-7p, with glacier Bay, so to consider a boat tour to Tracy Arm. I know you said you aren't that interested in smaller boats, but this is a highlight area that offers you many of your priorities. So much of inside passage Alaska is best seen on the water. A cruiseship just does not, in any way compare.

HAL offers some great itineraries, of which if you choose round trip, will likely be the only option for you due to Glacier Bay permits?? Princess only offers Glacier Bay on it's one way, Carnival only 3 cruises/year, in May and Sept. and NCL round trip Seattle- least scenic itinerary.

Do most people on Alaska cruises use the ship's excursions or can you get out on your own?

Also, if we were to put down a deposit on a ship and then for some reason realize we can't save enough money, can we move the date forward without losing a deposit if we stay with the same cruiseline? I realize it has to be done within a certain time limit.

Thanks so much!

Laura

People use both ship excursions and independent, this board is an excellent resource for both.

For booking a cruise, with the cruiseline the cancelation policy needs to be reviewed before booking. Most times the deposit is fully refundable up until final payment. BUT there are exceptions, some lines have nonrefundable high end suite deposits. Some agencies may also have their OWN cancelation fees. You usually don't move a "date" on cruises, you would cancel and rebook.

Thanks, Budget Queen. Hal's itinerary does sound good. We are budget cruisers so would not take a suite of any kind and probably an inside cabin unless we get a good deal. I know its not ideal but I would rather be sailing in Alaska in an inside than at home wishing I was in a balcony. :)

My reason for not wanting to go on a boat is rather ironic. Both hubby and I were extremely ill on a glass bottom boat out of Key West a few years ago. I tend to get air and sea sick. How rough would the water be in Tracy Arm? Medicine tends to make me very sleepy but I am willing to try it again if its something that is a must see.

I was up into the wee hours of the morning looking at cruise lines and ships. Hal and Princess look the best. We do not have to have a round trip. It does cut down air costs but I think we could handle the difference. We have a friend in Anchorage and wouldn't mind visiting her for a day or so. Carnival would be okay although our dates would change but the ship looks so guady in the pictures. Maybe they are all like that! :)

Thanks for the information. I have signed up for all the cruiseline websites and am waiting until Princess comes out with their 2010 schedule for Alaska. Hopefully that will be soon.

Laura

Hi all,

I have asked my husband for a cruise to Alaska as a 20th anniversary gift in July of 2010. I have looked at some of the ships but since I know so little about the ports I really don't know what would be best.

We may bring our kids who will be 20 (oh my gosh!), 12 and 10 at that time but that depends on the costs and I am guessing airfare at least will prohibit five of us traveling. My hubby has a new job with a little less pay so we need to be realistic.

If its just hubby and I, we are looking for something with great scenery and a chance to do a little hiking. I am a former geologist and had a professor in college who did work in Glacier Bay (he was from NZ and I loved the way he said Glacier!!). Anyway, a trip to see Glacier Bay MUST be in the itinerary. I am not into planes, helicopters or small boats but would love some hikes that are easy to moderate...not climbing a mountain or anything. I want to see glaciers and rocks and mountains! I want to be immersed in the environment, not just see it from a boat or a plane...I want to TOUCH Alaska!

I looked at a HAL ship and it looked great, even a train ride which my hubby would LOVE! But since I haven't looked enough, I don't know what else there is to look for.

Thanks so much!

Laura

Dear Laura,

I can really relate to much of what you have said. My hubby and I are going to Alaska this year to celebrate our 20th anniversary, too. :) I was a geology major, and both DH and I love to hike and immerse ourselves in the environment. Glacier Bay was a must for us, as well. The main difference is that our DD is 4, and she is definitely not going with us! ;)

Here is what we have come up with... One way cruises are less expensive, but airfare is more. However, we were able to use frequent flier miles to buy the ticket to Alaska, which cut out that extra expense. We decided that we wanted a smaller ship (less of a floating hotel feel) and we didn't care about lots of night life (we intend to be up and about early.) Given all of these variables, we ended up with a southbound sailing on the Veendam (HAL), this June. We most likely won't do any organized expeditions, instead we will go hiking in each port (Seward, Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan.) The one exception that we are considering is doing a glacier hike in Seward that goes on to Exit Glacier.

I have done a lot of digging around and have found some highly rated hikes in each port that will give us a variety of experiences. One of the things that I most value about hiking is getting out to where there are no man made sounds and no other people around. As fantastic as the boat rides and other excursions sounds, they just won't give us that. We are fortunate that we live in San Diego, and so we are able to go on whale watches here (in fact this weekend we saw 3 adult and 1 juvenile California Grey Whales, 2 pods of dolphins, and dozens of sea lions.) If we weren't able to do this here, we would probably go on a whale watching trip in Alaska.

Hiking for us is not a cheap substitute for doing something else, it simply is what we love to do. Of course, it also has the advantage of being fairly cheap (just cab fares to get to and from trail heads.) ;) That said, the emphasis on this board on the importance of doing excursions has made me a bit worried that I might feel that we "missed out," but in my gut I think that this is the right plan for us. If you like, I can report back in June, after the trip, to let you know if we were happy with the "all hiking" plan...

Oh, yes, if you can go a bit later in the year than us, it would make hiking easier. We are likely to run into snow in early/mid June on the trail. Not ideal, but we have done snow hiking before, so we have an idea of what we are getting into. At least it will give us some solitude, because it will keep the less determined hikers away!

Also, if you do a one way trip and go in or out of Seward, there is a train trip between Seward and Anchorage that many people consider to be as scenic as any other in Alaska. We look at it as a way to combine transportation and an excursion.

Corie

Corie,

Thanks so much for the response. You certainly hit the nail on the head, so to speak. We love to hike and on vacations out west and we spent most of our time hiking rather than doing other things. Our most usual mode of vacationing is camping with our pop-up camper in some pretty remote places but we decided on a cruise this year when the gas prices where high. Also, camping is lots of fun but I want a vacation where I don't have to do all the work! :)

I was actually wondering if we could just find hikes and be transported somehow to the trailhead. It is nice meet someone who is planning to do this in the near future. I will be interested to hear about your adventures and any recommended hikes.

We live in Florida, so no whales, although I have seen them during visits to northern California. As much as I would love to see them again, I don't think they are a priority for us. After living for the past 18 years in a state that is flat, no rocks, no magnficent scenery, and where its too hot to hike 6 months out of the year, I CRAVE a hike in a beautiful environment almost as much as I crave sushi! Of course, I know the altitude change will be murder for us which is why we will need to stay on hikes that are not too strenuous. Did you find any good guidebooks that might give information on trails that would be near the ports? If so, I would be interested in reading them.

On a trip to New Mexico, I took along my Highway Geology book and bored my kids and husband by reading it all the way there and pointing out every feature in sight, in detail. :) I was amazed at how much came back to me, after all these years.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing about your cruise!

I hear you about the craving good hikes! I crave hikes with trees!!! The sun is great, but living in a desert area isn't. We do at least have topography, but I so miss the green that I used to have in upstate NY. I am very happy- the prices this summer are low enough that it looks like we will also be able to spend a week in Sequoia NP at the end of the summer!

Here are some sites that I have found in regards to the hiking/ off the beaten track stuff...

http://www.juneautrails.org/trails/trails.html

http://www.travelalaska.com/locals/spear.aspx

http://www.travelalaska.com/locals/heather.aspx

http://www.haines.ak.us/hainesweb/abouthns/Haines%20is%20for%20Hikers.pdf

http://www.alaskanaturetours.net/hikes.htm (a guide, but the pictures give an idea of what the hikes would be like)

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/harding_icefield_trail.htm

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/glacier_shuttle_in_Seward_Alaska.html

I haven't really found any South East Alaska hiking books. If you happen across any good ones, please let me know.

Corie

Thanks, Corie. Great links!

I have lightweight hiking boots for Florida that will not do at all for Alaska. Since we are preparing for our Caribbean trip later this month, I can't even begin to think of Alaska yet. I am still waiting for the 2010 itineraries to come out so we can book it. But if I come across something I will let you know. Obviously, something waterproof or at least water resistant. :)

I like the desert actually but I can see how after a while one would want trees...just as I am tired of beaches and swamps. I want to see rocks!

Laura

My reason for not wanting to go on a boat is rather ironic. Both hubby and I were extremely ill on a glass bottom boat out of Key West a few years ago. I tend to get air and sea sick. How rough would the water be in Tracy Arm? Medicine tends to make me very sleepy but I am willing to try it again if its something that is a must see.

Sorry, but you are underestimating the sea sickness potential on the cruise ship as well?? I've seen PLENTY of sick passengers. It's a myth that this sailing is "smooth" as glass, you can run into very rough seas, including so called "inside passage" routes. My actual roughest sailings have been on round trip Vancouver- the overall most "protected".

So I suggest you consult your health care professional and determine what may be the best prevention option for you. There are variances in dosages, administration time etc that can reduce some side effects.

Tracy arm is a 30 mile long narrow fjord. But it's a distance getting there. Anything on the water has potential for motion sickness.

I am fine on the ships it seems since I have sailed twice. But the smaller boats are horrible for me. I use the wrist bracelet at any sign of queasiness and it seems to work well. Hubby does use the patch and he is fine with that. I just don't want to push our luck with the smaller boats.

Archived