Wine in boxes

ljdando

Just got off the Majesty on Feb. 14th. Friend & I both had a box of wine in our checked bags. Went through with no problem. Sad to see the Majesty leave Charleston.

OT: Sounds like you had a good cruise, ginny.. Are you planning on writing a review? We love Majesty and are taking her in April. I'm hoping her service has not faltered since our last cruise.

Hi Starrian.....NC is great! We lived in the "inland empire" area,near riverside. Hated the traffic,hated the high cost of living,and NO "quality of life". We love NC.......it was a scary move after living in CA our entire lives,but we have never looked back..........and don't regret any of it! No bevmos here,but there's another place very similar that I'm gonna check out!

Sounds like a good move!

We have taken 3 litre box wines on with no problem on the last several cruises. First of all do not use a silver coated bladder as that would probably show up real clearly on xray. Take a clear bladder. I take it on the plane in the box and then in the hotel the night before the cruise take it out of the box and and put it between clothes. I knock the box down so it is flat and pack it in the suitcase. I also take a glue stick with me and glue the box back together when we get on board.

The box wine we liked (RED) I bought from Target. It was pretty good and I think it was 3 litres and about $16.00 in California. I also understand that the Black Box Wine is also decent. Just be sure it has a clear plastic bladder.

Should work like a champ along with the rum runners.

We have taken 3 litre box wines on with no problem on the last several cruises. First of all do not use a silver coated bladder as that would probably show up real clearly on xray. Take a clear bladder. I take it on the plane in the box and then in the hotel the night before the cruise take it out of the box and and put it between clothes. I knock the box down so it is flat and pack it in the suitcase. I also take a glue stick with me and glue the box back together when we get on board.

The box wine we liked (RED) I bought from Target. It was pretty good and I think it was 3 litres and about $16.00 in California. I also understand that the Black Box Wine is also decent. Just be sure it has a clear plastic bladder.

Should work like a champ along with the rum runners.

That's the wine that I bought....from Target,some Australian Chardonnay.It was on sale,regularly $17.99,on sale for $9.99! And yes,it's in a "clear" bladder.....good point about the silver ones!

We have drank the Black Box reds in the past and they were very good. Next cruise we are taking a Black Box Monterey County 2007 Chardonnay. The store tags said it was given 87 points and a top 100 best buy. Was on sale; $21 for 3 liters. Just pried the box open and the bladder is clear plastic. Will see how this goes in a couple weeks. :D

Was wondering has anyone taken a water glass and filled it with their cabin wine and then taken the filled glass with them into the main dining rooms? Would the receptionist stop you or would they assume you bought the wine at one of the bars?

We have drank the Black Box reds in the past and they were very good. Next cruise we are taking a Black Box Monterey County 2007 Chardonnay. The store tags said it was given 87 points and a top 100 best buy. Was on sale; $21 for 3 liters. Just pried the box open and the bladder is clear plastic. Will see how this goes in a couple weeks. :D

Was wondering has anyone taken a water glass and filled it with their cabin wine and then taken the filled glass with them into the main dining rooms? Would the receptionist stop you or would they assume you bought the wine at one of the bars?

We mixed alchoholic drinks and ice in our coffee commuter mugs and carried them all over to lounges, etc. (but not dining rooms). Could probably do the same with wine.

Don't use a water glass, use a wine glass. Just stop at a bar and ask for one. No one will stop you anywhere on ship.

Lots of people get wine from TA's, friends, as part of a "romance" package or as a past cruiser. Plus many folks take what they don't drink at dinner back to the cabin.

Why don't you refill a bottle you buy in the dining room on the first day and take it back to your room and refill it? It's their bottle and all white or red looks the same. It sure sounds like a win win situation especially with Freestyle Cruising as you have a different waiter every night.

Don't use a water glass, use a wine glass. Just stop at a bar and ask for one. No one will stop you anywhere on ship.

Lots of people get wine from TA's, friends, as part of a "romance" package or as a past cruiser. Plus many folks take what they don't drink at dinner back to the cabin.

This is what I do. Usually ask at one of the bars on our way to the cabin to dress for dinner. Works out great.

Where did you buy it from?

Was this question directed to me about the Black Box Chardonnay? If it was, I shop at Applejack's on the west side of Denver. They are one of the largest liquor stores in the nation (bigger than some grocery stores): http://www.applejack.com/

What is funny is that they are an official stop for many organized tours that come through Denver. When I stopped by last week once again there was a greyhound size tour bus parked outside. Have seen upwards of three of those buses there at one time. :eek:

Why don't you refill a bottle you buy in the dining room on the first day and take it back to your room and refill it? It's their bottle and all white or red looks the same. It sure sounds like a win win situation especially with Freestyle Cruising as you have a different waiter every night.

We did exactly this--used our Romance Package bottle. Worked fine...!

Has anyone brought aboard a box wine (with or without the box) in a soft sided roll along piece of luggage. Since we are flying in it would have to be in our checked luggage and I would hate to have the bladder spilt open due to rough handling.

Thanks,

Bruce

Archived