Wine in boxes

ljdando

Just wondering if anyone has put the type of wine that comes in boxes in their suitcases? I'm thinking if you took the plastic bags out of the box it would resemble a rum runner in the xray machine.

I brought 2 wine boxes on board in their boxes 2 years ago but now everyone is saying they are confiscating all liquids even listerene.

Do you think it depends on who is doing the scanning that day?

We were successful in bringing a box wine in just its bladder (sealed in a zip lock bag) onboard in our checked bag with no problems. March 2008; Jan 2009 both in Miami.

This is my plan too........for my cruise,fits great in gallon ziplock.;)

I found Turning Leaf (not a bad chard) in a 3 liter box at BevMo in CA. Took it out of the box and put it in a 1 gal freezer ziplock, and packed it in my checked bag. I had no problem with leaking or confiscation (Sky from Miami).

I found Turning Leaf (not a bad chard) in a 3 liter box at BevMo in CA. Took it out of the box and put it in a 1 gal freezer ziplock, and packed it in my checked bag. I had no problem with leaking or confiscation (Sky from Miami).

Starrian....former "native" southern californian....now living in NC.....LOVED Bevmo...wish we had one here! The box I found supposedly holds 4 bottles of wine......may get a couple more!:cool:

I put my wine (out of the box and in ziplocks) in my carryon and it went right thru last year in Boston. I did it cause I figured if they questioned it I could pay the corkage if I had to. I didn't put it in my checked bag cause there were rumrunners in my checked and didn't want them to look in there. No problems with either.

I put my wine (out of the box and in ziplocks) in my carryon and it went right thru last year in Boston. I did it cause I figured if they questioned it I could pay the corkage if I had to. I didn't put it in my checked bag cause there were rumrunners in my checked and didn't want them to look in there. No problems with either.

mag....why would you be more worried about rum runners in your checked luggage......wouldn't they be more concerned with your carry on stuff?

I pulled the wine bladder from the box and put it into a couple of ziplocks then wrapped it in a sweatshirt. Once in the room, I pulled the wine bladder out and just stood it up into a small soft sided cooler I brought. Surrounded it with ice all week and just poured it out of the spout into the glass. easy.

I guess I just figured if they spotted the wine bladder in my checked and investigated, that they might have rummaged around and found my rumrunners. Didn't mind paying the corkage if I had to but they would have taken away the hard stuff if they found it. Did not want that to happen. I think I'm gonna do the same thing in Sept out of Boston.

Obviously no one is taking reds in the ziplocks. I am amazed that the ziplocks and bladders hold the wine, what a great idea. Do most of you take it in your carryons, I would think that the luggage handlers are not very kind to the luggage and it would break open. Like I said, I am amazed that between the wine bladders and the ziplocks they don't break!!!!

mag.....ok,I see....good idea to "separate" some of the stuff,so at least if they find it,they won't get "all" of it! question....why not just put the wine bladder in your fridge....that's what I was planning.

excited....yeah,the "red" might me a littly "messy" if it broke. I think if you put it in a ziplock (maybe) two and then wrap it in something like mag did,it should withstand all the "roughness" by the luggage handlers.

Curious...

has anyone paid the corkage fee on their boxed wine? If so, did NCL charge it as one 'bottle' or four (volume).....

Canada ~ Officially NCL says no boxed wine, period. But, I've read recently that a pax got it on, no problem and paid the corkage.

If they allow your boxed wine, they may charge you $15 or more. It just depends on who's at the table at the time.

Honestly, anymore, I wouldn't risk a box of wine b/c they may decide on YOUR box not to allow it. That would certainly be my luck.

We just take bottles, many, and pay the fee.

Like others have said, if you're not against smuggling, the bladder from the box seems to be making it through covertly. I'd put it in my checked bag, tho. Then, I'd take some bottles through security to make sure you at least have some wine to drink if the bladder is confiscated.

mag.....ok,I see....good idea to "separate" some of the stuff,so at least if they find it,they won't get "all" of it! question....why not just put the wine bladder in your fridge....that's what I was planning.

excited....yeah,the "red" might me a littly "messy" if it broke. I think if you put it in a ziplock (maybe) two and then wrap it in something like mag did,it should withstand all the "roughness" by the luggage handlers.

Well, I didn't have a fridge on that cruise and it has been my experience that the fridges suck and it keeps it colder on the ice. But if I had a fridge that was cold that is where I would put it!

mag.....ok,if I didn't have a fridge I would have done the same thing! I'm pretty sure I'll have one in my balcony room........right A...............????Will I????????

Wow I just realized you are leaving very soon! Have a wonderful time and please let us know how you handled and what you observed regarding the wine/alcohol situation.

[

quote=mag;18553026]Wow I just realized you are leaving very soon! Have a wonderful time and please let us know how you handled and what you observed regarding the wine/alcohol situation.

ditto. Every bit of information you guys bring back is helpful to those of us in line.

Wow I just realized you are leaving very soon! Have a wonderful time and please let us know how you handled and what you observed regarding the wine/alcohol situation.

yes mag.....we ARE leaving very soon....and I'm sooo not ready! I hope to be successful with the wine/alcohol situation....it will save me some bucks!

and yes,the ziplock is just for any "leaking" situations. I plan to just pour the wine right from the spout on the bladder too!

Starrian....former "native" southern californian....now living in NC.....LOVED Bevmo...wish we had one here! The box I found supposedly holds 4 bottles of wine......may get a couple more!:cool:

Hi, I'm from the Bay Area (closer to Napa!).

How's NC? No Bevmos in the East? :confused: :(

Hi, I'm from the Bay Area (closer to Napa!).

How's NC? No Bevmos in the East? :confused: :(

Hi Starrian.....NC is great! We lived in the "inland empire" area,near riverside. Hated the traffic,hated the high cost of living,and NO "quality of life". We love NC.......it was a scary move after living in CA our entire lives,but we have never looked back..........and don't regret any of it! No bevmos here,but there's another place very similar that I'm gonna check out!

Archived