Rock Wall Questions...

Hey, can someone tell me what is required to do rock climbing wall? Additional fee?

Special equipment?

Bring tennis shoes or shoes available?

Are there always long lines?

Do I have to be physically fit or will average person be capable of doing it?

Have people enjoyed it?

Any details would be great, I haven't been able to find any on here (strange)

No additional fee - they provide everything you need . . . EXCEPT SOCKS. They will fit you with special climbing shoes, a harness and a helmet. It is open only at certain times, listed in your Compass. Don't know about lines on other ships, but there was NO ONE in line on Empress.

DH did it on our cruise on Empress a few years ago - I wanted to, but didn't have any socks. He absolutely LOVED it and I have climbed on walls before and it is great fun. They will work with beginners and each wall has a variety of different routes for different fitness levels.

The rock climbing wall was a highlight for our kids (ages 8 and 11), and I also enjoyed it. I am 51, but saw people who were older who enjoyed it as well. Sometimes it gets crowded during sea days, so ask the staff running it when the best time to do it is. It is definitely worth trying.

Watch the compass closely because you will ultimately see a speed climing contest for adults. It is actually quite a bit of fun to do. Depending on who is running it you will race up once or twice to the top for times.

Just remember socks - they provide the shoes. My 8 year old raced up to the top. They did have the ropes pretty tight so fe felt secure. My husband decided he was going to try as well....and he too made it up to the top. He is scared of heights and he has arthritis!! His neck is fused so he couldn't look up to see where to grab. He basically did it blindly. Again the staff noticed this and kept the ropes tight. The thrill he had on making it to the top was wonderful!

I believe the day we did it. there was a sign up sheet for your time. You didn't have to stand there for hours in line waiting. That was on the AOS, so don't know if it's the same on all ships.

I'm almost 70 but I want to try it. I did a zip line in Mexico a year ago and I got certified for scuba when I was 60 and was diving until I was 66 so I think I can do it. Don't you think?

You should have no problems. We were on Mariner out of LA on 2/22 and a 93 year old woman made it 35' up the wall. The CD gave her a certificate and a gold medal that night in the Savoy Theater. She got a big round of applause. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Archived